[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ^^Jim , your summation seems spot on^^

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    TheSome Things You Never Get Used To was a bit quick, disjointed and showed none of the artistry that Ross and Ashford & Simpson would later have and it hit #30. I'm Livin' In Shame sort of told a story and benefited greatly from Love Child, so it hitting top 10 makes sense in that reasoning. No Matter What Sign You Are seemed more catchy to my ears and I can see why they were going after the astrological craze at the time. Still, it only hit #31. The lyrics were not the greatest and Ross screeching and cat calling is a far cry from the sound we heard years prior. Having the Andantes just sing the title and all of the signs was pretty pedestrian writing. I would guess the only real time they focused was when Gordy got the Clan together to make sure they had a hit after HDH left and for Ross' swan song to exit as a hit. But then, they also had gone beyond being hit makers and were now "established stars". Gordy may have been more focused on their television and touring schedule as they were already established and could make money that way. But, really, the DRATS songs have a rushed,frantic sound to them especially The Composer and Some Things .
    I agree about “I’m Living In “Shame” doing well on the coattails of “Love Child”.
    As regards “No Matter What Sign”, i personally don’t hear any screeching on the song, but consider it one of Diana’s most exciting vocals on a single release from that period.

The Diana Ross & The Supremes era really had spotty chart action, aside from the 2 chart toppers-Love Child in 1968 and Someday We'll Be Together in 1969.Once it became DRATS, there was virtually Andantes in the background by themselves. Much of this would be attributed to HDH leaving the company. HDH and the Supremes were a wonderful match. By the time Forever Came Today was released they had left and this last HDH composition only reached #28. Motown was trying new writers, new sounds and backgrounds without Mary & Cindy. The sound seemed sort of rushed and incomplete. Some Things You Never Get Used To was a bit quick, disjointed and showed none of the artistry that Ross and Ashford & Simpson would later have and it hit #30. I'm Livin' In Shame sort of told a story and benefited greatly from Love Child, so it hitting top 10 makes sense in that reasoning. The Composer was like Some Things, it had a rushed quality to it, the backgrounds seemed anonymous and colorless, far different from say Where Did Our Love Go where it played an important part in the sound. It hit #27, but it really doesn't catch your ears the way you would expect a pairing of a great writer and a great group. Smokey did much better with the 70's Supremes and Floy Joy in 1972. No Matter What Sign You Are seemed more catchy to my ears and I can see why they were going after the astrological craze at the time. Still, it only hit #31. The lyrics were not the greatest and Ross screeching and cat calling is a far cry from the sound we heard years prior. Having the Andantes just sing the title and all of the signs was pretty pedestrian writing. I would guess the only real time they focused was when Gordy got the Clan together to make sure they had a hit after HDH left and for Ross' swan song to exit as a hit. But then, they also had gone beyond being hit makers and were now "established stars". Gordy may have been more focused on their television and touring schedule as they were already established and could make money that way. But, really, the DRATS songs have a rushed,frantic sound to them especially The Composer and Some Things .
    Where is she "screeching and cat calling" in the song?
    I don't hear it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Where is she "screeching and cat calling" in the song?
    I don't hear it anywhere.
    I hear it when they are doing the signs and she is screeching Oww in response along with yeah, yeah,yeah.I am not saying it is horrible but not the usual Ross vocals

I hear it when they are doing the signs and she is screeching Oww in response along with yeah, yeah,yeah.I am not saying it is horrible but not the usual Ross vocals
    I quite like that part. I wouldn't describe it as "screeching and cat calling" but i guess we all hear things differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I quite like that part. I wouldn't describe it as "screeching and cat calling" but i guess we all hear things differently.
    I didn't say I dislike it but to my ears the screeching of Owww was probably something that the general public was not used to hearing Ross do. She certainly had a distinctive voice that was very pliable in various genres. I am guessing she used to the owws to sound more in tune with the sound of the song-more psychedelic and rock oriented.Just that the public was probably used to hearing her oooh like she started Baby Love with rather than the owwws that punctuated this song. Her vocals here are probably the most full after Love is like an Itchin' in My Heart. The public is very fickle they want you to change after you have had success with one sound but then will criticize you that you don't sound like you used to.

I didn't say I dislike it but to my ears the screeching of Owww was probably something that the general public was not used to hearing Ross do. She certainly had a distinctive voice that was very pliable in various genres. I am guessing she used to the owws to sound more in tune with the sound of the song-more psychedelic and rock oriented.Just that the public was probably used to hearing her oooh like she started Baby Love with rather than the owwws that punctuated this song. Her vocals here are probably the most full after Love is like an Itchin' in My Heart. The public is very fickle they want you to change after you have had success with one sound but then will criticize you that you don't sound like you used to.
    Not screeches , maybe more like squeals...?

We might blame these Diana owwws as being the influence for Mary's use of them on RED HOT....

....well, except that Mary was nowhere near this 'Supremes' recording session
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-16-2021 at 03:42 PM.

There's much about it that's annoying [and some not) ..... the drumming???
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-16-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Jay Leno was a massive fan of Diana’s owww. He even asked her to recreate the owww from “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” when he interviewed her in 95.
    I truly believe no one does an owww quite as good as M’s Ross. They sound rather sexy.

Ow! This was definitely not where I was wanting this to go. I was just noting the change in Ross' vocals and the hurried, rush tempos of the songs without the crafting of HDH may have contributed to sales not being as stellar as during the Supremes' era. Ross' vocals changed as she was exploring, I mean listen to her breathless hiccup during the TCB era when singing live. As far as Mary's vocals on Red Hot, the song was clearly influenced by James Brown and that is who I think she was influenced by.
    I just was pointing out the differences in these songs from their HDH era previously.I think the hurried rush sound on some of these songs are really the glaring difference and I wonder what Motown was thinking with some of this, what type of new sound were they trying to give DRATS.

Ow! This was definitely not where I was wanting this to go. I was just noting the change in Ross' vocals and the hurried, rush tempos of the songs without the crafting of HDH may have contributed to sales not being as stellar as during the Supremes' era. Ross' vocals changed as she was exploring, I mean listen to her breathless hiccup during the TCB era when singing live. As far as Mary's vocals on Red Hot, the song was clearly influenced by James Brown and that is who I think she was influenced by.
    I just was pointing out the differences in these songs from their HDH era previously.I think the hurried rush sound on some of these songs are really the glaring difference and I wonder what Motown was thinking with some of this, what type of new sound were they trying to give DRATS.
    Hey. You have not said or done anything wrong. You merely voiced your opinion. Personally i disagree with it but you have every right to have an opinion.
    Not many fans have a high opinion of nmwsya but i have always enjoyed it, but i don't care for The Composer.
    Different strokes.......

No fowl. Its all harmless dissecting of songs and their nuances. The owwws in NMWSYA , really don't add or subtract to the song's overall quality. They're just kinda there. Not sure why Diana goes 'ooowww' as the 'Supremes' rattle off the horoscope signs ....but she does ....

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    No fowl. Its all harmless dissecting of songs and their nuances. The owwws in NMWSYA , really don't add or subtract to the song's overall quality. They're just kinda there. Not sure why Diana goes 'ooowww' as the 'Supremes' rattle off the horoscope signs ....but she does ....
    If I had to choose between Diana not going owww and going owww, i would choose she went owww every time ....But that’s just me.

I'm not a fan of the 'owww' screech, particularly at the start of the song. The whole intro is annoying, actually. I think the song should have just started with the lyrics: "The moon shines bright above..." Rattling off the zodiac signs along with the 'owww' in the middle of the song is less jarring, and adds a little excitement.

I feel the same about "Some Things". The background shouting the title of the song at the start is annoying. Saving it for the middle would have been a nice surprise.

NMWSYA is a so-so song for DRATS, even if it was just an album cut. I think BG should have saved it for the J5. Not sure which song between Composer or Sign I think is better, or worse. When Ed introduced them my jaw dropped when he said the new single was Sign when I expected him to say The Composer. I thought they looked silly, overall. I was more than ready for Diana to leave the group, and real soon, although I hadn't heard anything about that at this point in 1969.

Diana Ross' "Ows" are alright, but other singers do it better. Diana Ross is top of the class with "oooh-oooh" and "Boy" and "hey".

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I was more than ready for Diana to leave the group, and real soon, although I hadn't heard anything about that at this point in 1969.
    I think a lot of people felt this way including the Supremes themselves and Motown. Looking back if I were Gordy I would have had Diana go solo after Love Child. Maybe have her do a few final gigs with Mary and Cindy around when TCB aired and then have her be on her way. Have Mary and Cindy chill out for a little and take a long vacation if they still haven't found Diana's replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    If I had to choose between Diana not going owww and going owww, i would choose she went owww every time ....But that’s just me.
    Ha did you mean this to read funny Ollie, owww owww owww.

So, what other songs does Diana go ooow on?? We need a Diana Ross owww song list !!

Spreadinglove21

Diana Ross' "Ows" are alright, but other singers do it better. Diana Ross is top of the class with "oooh-oooh" and "Boy" and "hey".

funny, I agree . Her 'boys' are excellent.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-18-2021 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I'm not a fan of the 'owww' screech, particularly at the start of the song. The whole intro is annoying, actually. I think the song should have just started with the lyrics: "The moon shines bright above..." Rattling off the zodiac signs along with the 'owww' in the middle of the song is less jarring, and adds a little excitement.

I feel the same about "Some Things". The background shouting the title of the song at the start is annoying. Saving it for the middle would have been a nice surprise.

NMWSYA is a so-so song for DRATS, even if it was just an album cut. I think BG should have saved it for the J5..
    Its too silly for the J5

Ha did you mean this to read funny Ollie, owww owww owww.

So, what other songs does Diana go ooow on?? We need a Diana Ross owww song list !
    I never attempt to be funny Boogie.
    Oh my goodness, songs that Diana goes owww on. It’s a little early in the morning for such esoteric conversation, but i will have a go.
    “Happy To See You Again”, and “Surrender for sure. Erm..” I’m A Winner” possibly. Songs with the Temptations?.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I never attempt to be funny Boogie.
    Oh my goodness, songs that Diana goes owww on. It’s a little early in the morning for such esoteric conversation, but i will have a go.
    “Happy To See You Again”, and “Surrender for sure. Erm..” I’m A Winner” possibly. Songs with the Temptations?.

Ha that's funny that the 'owww' is the pay off for listening through that HAPPY tune.

Ha that's funny that the 'owww' is the pay off for listening through that HAPPY tune.
    “Happy To See You” has a very different style of owww then “NMWSYA”. It’s more of a growled owww then your straight forward, no holes barred owww..
    Having said that i still find it equally as enjoyable. It would be fun to have a recording of every owww Diana has ever made.....Perhaps one day.