[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,842
    Rep Power
    109

    1978 Sessions presents Dianna Ross and the Supremes "39 all time hits" Hits TV Commer


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,651
    Rep Power
    162
    There must have been a memo at Motown - " only use pictures with Cindy ! "

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    914
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    There must have been a memo at Motown - " only use pictures with Cindy ! "
    Lol I was thinking the same thing. There was a period there for a while where I feel like Motown would only use photos from the DMC era.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    474
    Rep Power
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Lol I was thinking the same thing. There was a period there for a while where I feel like Motown would only use photos from the DMC era.
    Wow, I remember this advertisementó1976. I was a new Diana Ross fan and this was my introduction to the Supremes early hits. Ironically, regarding the exclusive use of Cindyís image, I began seeing this ad on television just a couple weeks before Florence passed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,651
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Wow, I remember this advertisementó1976. I was a new Diana Ross fan and this was my introduction to the Supremes early hits. Ironically, regarding the exclusive use of Cindyís image, I began seeing this ad on television just a couple weeks before Florence passed.
    It was said on this forum more than a decade ago that Detroit Motown museum didn't have one picture of flo anywhere..she was visually erased from the installation I don't know if it's correct but this thread has just reminded me of the post..if it's true it's beyond petty

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,485
    Rep Power
    213
    Gosh, this ad brings back a lot of memories. I can still picture watching this many times on our old RCA color tv set.

    I already had ANTHOLOGY by this point but I remember wanting this collection as well, as I thought the photos in the ad might be included. Some time later, I remember some stores selling it as well and I was surprised to see that they included Jean's I GOT HURT [TRYING TO BE THE ONLY GIRL IN YOUR LIFE].
    Last edited by reese; 05-07-2021 at 08:46 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,485
    Rep Power
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    It was said on this forum more than a decade ago that Detroit Motown museum didn't have one picture of flo anywhere..she was visually erased from the installation I don't know if it's correct but this thread has just reminded me of the post..if it's true it's beyond petty
    I visited the museum in fall 1990 and I honestly don't remember there being no photos of Flo. I think that would have stuck out in my mind. But it has been many years so I can't confirm or deny.

    However, I do remember even back then some folks commenting that there was at least one displayed photo of DMF that Flo was literally cut out of, something Mary mentioned in her second book.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,547
    Rep Power
    191
    Technically, don't the pictures match the billing of the LPs?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    474
    Rep Power
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Gosh, this ad brings back a lot of memories. I can still picture watching this many times on our old RCA color tv set.

    I already had ANTHOLOGY by this point but I remember wanting this collection as well, as I thought the photos in the ad might be included. Some time later, I remember some stores selling it as well and I was surprised to see that they included Jean's I GOT HURT [TRYING TO BE THE ONLY GIRL IN YOUR LIFE].
    My biggest surprise about this LP is Iím Gonna Make You Love Me was overlooked, the only top 40 hit missing from the collection. Iíll Try Something New was included, however.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,639
    Rep Power
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    My biggest surprise about this LP is Iím Gonna Make You Love Me was overlooked, the only top 40 hit missing from the collection. Iíll Try Something New was included, however.
    Wow. So many memories. I remember being all excited when this commercial came on the TV. I have this in my collection.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,485
    Rep Power
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    My biggest surprise about this LP is I’m Gonna Make You Love Me was overlooked, the only top 40 hit missing from the collection. I’ll Try Something New was included, however.
    That's right up there with Diana's 1987 THE SUPREME LADY tv collection which included three Jean-era hits including RIVER DEEP... with the Tops.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,432
    Rep Power
    160
    i think this was a big seller ,had it for a while
    loved the cover art

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,651
    Rep Power
    162
    I would love to see the tv ad for "the boss" album and tour..I wonder if a copy of it survives..

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,485
    Rep Power
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I would love to see the tv ad for "the boss" album and tour..I wonder if a copy of it survives..

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    233
    Rep Power
    12
    Here's ad for Supreme Lady.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    837
    Rep Power
    130
    Great stuff! Interesting that Flo did make the cut for the Supreme Lady ad...but, as @reese pointed out, WTF with the Jean songs on there?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,490
    Rep Power
    142
    I think the year this came out was 1974 or 75. It was during the time the group was dormant. I remember Mary complaining about it in a fan club newsletter.

    It was a big seller. It was also the first time the dolby system was used on Supremes music which gave it a crispness. But I also remember that for whatever reason the fades were made longer on several cuts.

    Gonna Make You Love Me was left off obviously because it was not a Jobete composition. Motown wanted full profits. Touch and I Guess were also omitted and for some strange reason I Got Hurt from the Right On lp was included.

    I doubt any of the ladies got anything for this lp. If they did it wasn't much.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,651
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    many thanks Reese !

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.