[REMOVE ADS]

1978 Sessions presents Dianna Ross and the Supremes "39 all time hits" Hits TV Commer

There must have been a memo at Motown - " only use pictures with Cindy ! "

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    There must have been a memo at Motown - " only use pictures with Cindy ! "
    Lol I was thinking the same thing. There was a period there for a while where I feel like Motown would only use photos from the DMC era.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Lol I was thinking the same thing. There was a period there for a while where I feel like Motown would only use photos from the DMC era.
    Wow, I remember this advertisement—1976. I was a new Diana Ross fan and this was my introduction to the Supremes early hits. Ironically, regarding the exclusive use of Cindy’s image, I began seeing this ad on television just a couple weeks before Florence passed.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Wow, I remember this advertisement—1976. I was a new Diana Ross fan and this was my introduction to the Supremes early hits. Ironically, regarding the exclusive use of Cindy’s image, I began seeing this ad on television just a couple weeks before Florence passed.
    It was said on this forum more than a decade ago that Detroit Motown museum didn't have one picture of flo anywhere..she was visually erased from the installation I don't know if it's correct but this thread has just reminded me of the post..if it's true it's beyond petty

Gosh, this ad brings back a lot of memories. I can still picture watching this many times on our old RCA color tv set.

I already had ANTHOLOGY by this point but I remember wanting this collection as well, as I thought the photos in the ad might be included. Some time later, I remember some stores selling it as well and I was surprised to see that they included Jean's I GOT HURT [TRYING TO BE THE ONLY GIRL IN YOUR LIFE].
    Last edited by reese; 05-07-2021 at 08:46 AM.

It was said on this forum more than a decade ago that Detroit Motown museum didn't have one picture of flo anywhere..she was visually erased from the installation I don't know if it's correct but this thread has just reminded me of the post..if it's true it's beyond petty
    I visited the museum in fall 1990 and I honestly don't remember there being no photos of Flo. I think that would have stuck out in my mind. But it has been many years so I can't confirm or deny.

However, I do remember even back then some folks commenting that there was at least one displayed photo of DMF that Flo was literally cut out of, something Mary mentioned in her second book.

Technically, don't the pictures match the billing of the LPs?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Gosh, this ad brings back a lot of memories. I can still picture watching this many times on our old RCA color tv set.

I already had ANTHOLOGY by this point but I remember wanting this collection as well, as I thought the photos in the ad might be included. Some time later, I remember some stores selling it as well and I was surprised to see that they included Jean's I GOT HURT [TRYING TO BE THE ONLY GIRL IN YOUR LIFE].
    My biggest surprise about this LP is I’m Gonna Make You Love Me was overlooked, the only top 40 hit missing from the collection. I’ll Try Something New was included, however.

My biggest surprise about this LP is I’m Gonna Make You Love Me was overlooked, the only top 40 hit missing from the collection. I’ll Try Something New was included, however.
    Wow. So many memories. I remember being all excited when this commercial came on the TV. I have this in my collection.

That's right up there with Diana's 1987 THE SUPREME LADY tv collection which included three Jean-era hits including RIVER DEEP... with the Tops.

i think this was a big seller ,had it for a while
    loved the cover art

I would love to see the tv ad for "the boss" album and tour..I wonder if a copy of it survives..

I would love to see the tv ad for "the boss" album and tour..I wonder if a copy of it survives..

Here's ad for Supreme Lady.

Great stuff! Interesting that Flo did make the cut for the Supreme Lady ad...but, as @reese pointed out, WTF with the Jean songs on there?

I think the year this came out was 1974 or 75. It was during the time the group was dormant. I remember Mary complaining about it in a fan club newsletter.

It was a big seller. It was also the first time the dolby system was used on Supremes music which gave it a crispness. But I also remember that for whatever reason the fades were made longer on several cuts.

Gonna Make You Love Me was left off obviously because it was not a Jobete composition. Motown wanted full profits. Touch and I Guess were also omitted and for some strange reason I Got Hurt from the Right On lp was included.

I doubt any of the ladies got anything for this lp. If they did it wasn't much.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    many thanks Reese !