[REMOVE ADS]

Mr. Bobby Womack 'American Dream'

Just in from my rounds on a part-time job as a Doordasher, having listened to a Spotify playlist of the sublime Mr. Bobby Womack, this song hit me hardest on this day commemorating the centennial of the Tulsa Race Massacre. So very little interest in Bobby Womack, despite his killer catalog of iconic music -

Bobby Womack is an ICONIC artist.Nice guy, too,.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Bobby Womack is an ICONIC artist.Nice guy, too,.
    That's good to hear. I'm constantly amazed at the many decades of excellent music Womack created. Good to see he has another fan!

Bobby put in a tremendous amount of work in his long career out front and behind the scenes with other artists before he left this plane. I was surprised last year to discover
    a track by Bobby which I'd never heard before. A duet with Ron Isley, Trying To Not
    Break Down is what I think it's titled. Don't know how I missed it or when it was done...

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Just in from my rounds on a part-time job as a Doordasher, having listened to a Spotify playlist of the sublime Mr. Bobby Womack, this song hit me hardest on this day commemorating the centennial of the Tulsa Race Massacre. So very little interest in Bobby Womack, despite his killer catalog of iconic music -

I am sure there is much interest in the music of Bobby Womack. He was a superb soul singer with a back catalogue to make Marvin green with envy. I have got dozens of his albums which i treasure.I only saw him live once back in the mid 80;s around the time of the Poet albums. He was magnificent. Hope that reassures you a little. I am happy to talk about Womack anytime.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 06-01-2021 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Bobby put in a tremendous amount of work in his long career out front and behind the scenes with other artists before he left this plane. I was surprised last year to discover
    a track by Bobby which I'd never heard before. A duet with Ron Isley, Trying To Not
    Break Down is what I think it's titled. Don't know how I missed it or when it was done...
    I don't immediately recall that track and will surely look it up -

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I am sure there is much interest in the music of Bobby Womack. He was a superb soul singer with a back catalogue to make Marvin green with envy. I have got dozens of his albums which i treasure.I only saw him live once back in the mid 80;s around the time of the Poet albums. He was magnificent. Hope that reassures you a little. I am happy to talk about Womack anytime.
    So glat to hear that - I, too, saw a 'Poet' era concert at the Beacon in NYC and it was BEDLAM! The audience responded to Womack like the hero returning from battle, which in a way he was. Those 'Poet' lps took the business by surprise and the world by storm, and they sure hold up today. How is/was Bobby received in the UK?

So glat to hear that - I, too, saw a 'Poet' era concert at the Beacon in NYC and it was BEDLAM! The audience responded to Womack like the hero returning from battle, which in a way he was. Those 'Poet' lps took the business by surprise and the world by storm, and they sure hold up today. How is/was Bobby received in the UK?
    He was very much revered over here by the soul crowd and was a frequent visitor. He even managed a pop hit with Tell me Why, and a few years later he returned to the pop charts with Lulu on their version of the Al Johnson/Jean Carn classic Back for more. I think their totp appearance is on youtube.

I had to see that! Thanks, Bluebrock......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRDQHxJVvM4

Anyone watching the latest series of "Snowfall" would have heard this 1973 classic in episode 6, with its spine-tingling intro...still relevant:-

Last edited by Bassline101; 06-01-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I had to see that! Thanks, Bluebrock......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRDQHxJVvM4
    You are most welcome splanky. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for spotlighting this song and Bobby Womack, Peace! One of my favorite artist. So many great songs like you said. Great lesser know tracks like the Fact of Life medley, "I'm Through Trying To Provide My Love For You", "Where There's A Will". Even enjoy his C&W album.

I unfortunately never got to see him live. I was going to in the late 90's when a co-worker told me her friend went to see him and she told me he was lip synching. I had just started working and didn't have that kind of money to chance it. I don't remember seeing that he ever performed in my area again if he did.

I really enjoy Bobby's UA albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Thanks for spotlighting this song and Bobby Womack, Peace! One of my favorite artist. So many great songs like you said. Great lesser know tracks like the Fact of Life medley, "I'm Through Trying To Provide My Love For You", "Where There's A Will". Even enjoy his C&W album.

I unfortunately never got to see him live. I was going to in the late 90's when a co-worker told me her friend went to see him and she told me he was lip synching. I had just started working and didn't have that kind of money to chance it. I don't remember seeing that he ever performed in my area again if he did.

I really enjoy Bobby's UA albums.
    Those UA albums are killers, right? I had never heard lip synching rumors, so we'll have to let Reese get us more info on that! Sorry you did not get to see Womack live, though. At least in NYC he was given a true hero's reception.

Saw Womack LIVE many times & he never lip synched besides maybe Soul Train or Banstand type of TV shows.

Those UA albums are killers, right? I had never heard lip synching rumors, so we'll have to let Reese get us more info on that! Sorry you did not get to see Womack live, though. At least in NYC he was given a true hero's reception.
    Yes Peace, those albums are killer. Amazing music. Now you having me wishing I was at that NYC show. Can you share more about that show?

I can only tell you what I heard and I don't think this person would have lied to me. She was a pretty straight shooter. But you never know. I often wondered back then if he was lip syncing to the Soul Sensation album.