[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson's 1969 recordings

One thing I was surprised to see that was not on the recently released expanded edition of Mary's solo album was more unreleased leads she did while at Motown like the 1969 recordings she did. I thought maybe we'd get a cleaned up version of "Son Of A Preacher Man". Didn't she also record one or two other leads at that time as well? Were these just demos to see if Mary was capable of taking over the lead from Diana?
    From what I remember they were recorded sometime in the spring of '69 which would make sense since that was when Berry started searching for Diana's replacement.

I don't think there's enough "clean up" in the world to salvage Son of a Preacher Man. It was pretty bad. Almost as bad as Hang on Sloopy or the hideous Boots Are Made for Walking

From what I heard it sounds like a first take more like she was just learning the song. I do know Deke Richards recorded a few song with her including If You Let Me Baby and Send Him To Me.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    From what I heard it sounds like a first take more like she was just learning the song. I do know Deke Richards recorded a few song with her including If You Let Me Baby and Send Him To Me.
    These were once available on YouTube and quickly pulled. I think both are fantastic.

To the original post point, I'd love to see these on the physical EE of Mary. Less focus of the solo debut and more of a MW Collection.

If You Let Me Baby is still on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    These were once available on YouTube and quickly pulled. I think both are fantastic.

To the original post point, I'd love to see these on the physical EE of Mary. Less focus of the solo debut and more of a MW Collection.

Omigod that sounds exactly like Everyday people by Sly Stone!!

I think it sounds good. Is that Marlene filling in for Diana back there 😜

I like both songs as well. Never heard her version of "Son of a Preacher man". Although Aretha's version is more soulful I think I prefer Dusty's version as her vocals, instrumental track and background vocals are just perfect.
    I've seen the other two songs floating on Youtube on and off too and downloaded both when I had the chance. As I do with most Diana or Supremes related tracks. What's the story behind them and why were they even recorded? If you let me baby seems to have Jean and Cindy singing background. If it were just a demo would they really have taken the effort to get all of them in? Just wondering as I have no idea.

If you let me Baby was also recorded by Chris Clark. there isn't any info on Send Him To Me on the website Don't Forget the Motor City.

So it could be that Deke or another producer had a few tracks that they thought of maybe experimenting with Mary.

Frank also experimented with the Sup sound by bringing C and M in more on Ladder, especially if you hear that missing verse. the girls had a larger portion of that than the released song.

At this point in the group's career, they were going to experiment and try. see what worked, demo a few ideas, toy around

I think Mary did a mighty fine job on Son of a Preacher man and hang in sloppy was amazing 💙 these boots 👢 I have always loved to the moon and back

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Wow thanks for posting - made my day. Great track.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    It's the backing track for Diana's lead vocal. Not sure who is in the background. Mary and the Andantes?

Thanks for the info. I'd never heard this track.