[REMOVE ADS]

Ordinary Pain's Reply - is it Shirley or Sundray?

Can anybody clear up the question of who sings the female lead vocal on the Stevie Wonder track "Ordinary pain" from the "Songs In the Key Of Life" album? It's credited as "Ordinary Pain's Reply" to Shirley Brewster on the album but many assert that it is Sundray Tucker [[aka Cindy Scott) and it does sound like her with that raspy baby-like voice she has. Sundray is credited as one of the backgroung vocalists to Shirley, along with her sister Lynda Laurence. I know Sundray's voice well but not Shirley's - she was a regular Steve Wonder backing vocalist but never sang solo to make a comparison.
    Does anybody know for sure? They could have made a mistake on the credits, it wouldn't be the first time.

I speak to Shirley Brewer-Garden regularly and can assure you that it's her. She's a sweetheart, originally from Philly, but living on the West Coast for decades. Shirley's been having a few health problems lately, so I'll check on her today. She was recently taped by Unsung for the Deniece Williams segment.

uptight Guest
    Well, if it is not Shirley Brewer, then it must be Syreeta Wright singing the uptempo, second half of this song. I had always thought it was Syreeta.
    Last edited by uptight; 04-30-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks positivesoul. I did sound like Sundray but I wasn't familiar with Shirley's voice. Tell her she sounds great on the track!

Very welcome Mark. I just left a message on Shirley's cell and will direct her to your kind words when she calls back. BTW as soon as our philadelphiamusicalliance.org website is revamped, likely within about 4-6 weeks, we'll conduct and post an interview of Ms. Shirley.

Shirley sounds great! She saw this thread and is thrilled to see the words and interest.

It's Shirley Brewer. I think says that right on the album jacket.