[REMOVE ADS]

The Original Earth Wind and Fire

This is the first assemblage of EWF before Maurice formed the group that
    included his future star Phillip Bailey. Despite the fact that Sherry Scott
    would give them their first poke at success with I Think About Loving You
    she too like every other musician here would be let go with the exception
    of Maurice's brother Verdine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv5DuEYODks

Sorry about the error with the title....
    Last edited by splanky; 05-03-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    This is the first assemblage of EWF before Maurice formed the group that
    included his future star Phillip Bailey. Despite the fact that Sherry Scott
    would give them their first poke at success with I Think About Loving You
    she too like every other musician here would be let go with the exception
    of Maurice's brother Verdine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv5DuEYODks

Sorry about the error with the title....
    Thanks so much for sharing this rare clip of Earth, Wind & Fire! This is the first time I've seen the original lineup of the band playing live. They would have the second edition of EWF [featuring Phillip Bailey] when the band performed on PBS's Soul! two years later.

Is this the same lineup as that on the Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song soundtrack?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Is this the same lineup as that on the Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song soundtrack?
    Yes it is! Maurice White changed the lineup before EWF left Warner Bros. for Columbia Records & made their 3rd album, Last Days And Time in late 1972.

One thing I should clear up is this: Though this is indeed the first grouping of Maurice's
    so named Earth Wind and Fire he first recorded under the name The Salty Peppers. Most
    already know that. Thanks to the internet all of that group's releases are available online
    now. The core of the group Maurice, Wade Flemons on vocals and Don Whitehead on keyboards did continue into EWF but as Maurice mentioned in his autobiography things
    got a little testy. Wade basically tried to take over the group from Maurice. Don went
    on to have some success later as half of McFadden and Whitehead with a hit, Ain't No
    Stopping Us Now. Anyway, some of the first EWF album material were reworkings
    of Salty Peppers tunes. Open Your Heart and Your Love Is Life for example. This though
    never revisited was their first or second release...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUuC...9wM_kSym0YZ430

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    One thing I should clear up is this: Though this is indeed the first grouping of Maurice's
    so named Earth Wind and Fire he first recorded under the name The Salty Peppers. Most
    already know that. Thanks to the internet all of that group's releases are available online
    now. The core of the group Maurice, Wade Flemons on vocals and Don Whitehead on keyboards did continue into EWF but as Maurice mentioned in his autobiography things
    got a little testy. Wade basically tried to take over the group from Maurice. Don went
    on to have some success later as half of McFadden and Whitehead with a hit, Ain't No
    Stopping Us Now. Anyway, some of the first EWF album material were reworkings
    of Salty Peppers tunes. Open Your Heart and Your Love Is Life for example. This though
    never revisited was their first or second release...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUuC...9wM_kSym0YZ430
    Weren't Don Whitehead and John Whitehead 2 different people?

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes it is! Maurice White changed the lineup before EWF left Warner Bros. for Columbia Records & made their 3rd album, Last Days And Time in late 1972.
    Thanks, Motown Eddie!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Weren't Don Whitehead and John Whitehead 2 different people?
    You are absolutely right! Sorry, I quoted some misinformation on Whitehead.
    the rest of what I've been researching is true. Phillip Bailey said he and Jessica
    Cleaves at first had to learn the original group's tune. i wish one day to see
    footage of that. Jessie's voice was similar in tone to Sherry Scott but with a
    much greater range...

Jim Brown was managing them at this time.

Thank you for this post. What a wealth of information it has. It proves that change is often necessary and sometimes business and not personal. The young lady lacks stage presence and the man dancing next to her, well reminds me of the drunk uncle at the cookout. Who knew what greatness was ahead for these talented musicians. THIS IS RICH!!!