[REMOVE ADS]

CNN Special Report What's Going On: Marvin Gaye's Anthem For The Ages

CNN's Don Lemon explores the impact and genius of Marvin Gaye, his unprecedented album, and the anatomy of several of the record's iconic hits that reflect some of the most significant challenges and divisions in the nation today.

The show airs Sunday, May 9th, at 8 p.m. on CNN

It Sounds Great and I look forward to seeing this special on What's Going On this weekend. Thanks for the info milven!

Thanks for the heads up

Looking forward to seeing it

I only saw the last 15 minutes. I thought there would be a lot more interest on here than there is. Anyone else see it?

Smokey and Stevie were on.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I only saw the last 15 minutes. I thought there would be a lot more interest on here than there is. Anyone else see it?

I thought it was great and very informative. I highly recommend it. There were commentaries from Smokey, Stevie, Duke, David Ritz, Shelia E, Spike Lee and others. I didn't know that Shelia E played percussion on Marvin's last tour. But what interested me more was seeing Marvin perform some of the songs from the album live from the Black Expo concert footage film Save The Children. I wish they would re-release the entire film on Netflix because his performance, sitting down and playing the piano was absolutely amazing.

I saw this CNN show. Interesting but nothing really to shout about. Worth Watching.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I saw this CNN show. Interesting but nothing really to shout about. Worth Watching.
    I saw Sheila E and David Ritz as well as Smokey and Stevie; I thought it was interesting but most of what was being talked about and said is kind of old news to the people of this Forum.

I was surprised about Sheila E playing percussion on his last tour.

I regret I forgot about it; I'm going to see if CNN has the program available on-the-line.

Did any other forum members get tickets to the "What's Going On" 50th anniversary event on May 21st at the Motown Museum? I will be on the 2 pm tour and it sounds like a neat event. I'm curious to find out who the "in person alumni appearances" will be!
    Darin

I caught the CNN Special on What's Going On and I enjoyed every minute of it! Besides the interviews with Smokey & Stevie, they had Spike Lee, Sheila E., Funk Brother Jack Ashford, Critic Nelson George & Marvin's Sister Zeola Gay on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I regret I forgot about it; I'm going to see if CNN has the program available on-the-line.
    It will be on CNN again on Friday night, May 14th at 11 p.m.

Grammy winner Jack Ashford — who, at 86, is one of the only surviving members of Motown’s famed house band The Funk Brothers — is a key figure in “What’s Going On: Marvin Gaye’s Anthem for the Ages,” which premiered May 9 on CNN and is available to stream and will be rebroadcast tonight on CNN at 11 pm.

Just found this interesting article about him and the documentary.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ic/5066921001/

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    It will be on CNN again on Friday night, May 14th at 11 p.m.
    Great; thanks!

It was very good. Short and somewhat superficial but perfect for those who are not as familiar with Marvin Gaye or 'What's Going On' as we are.

We had a conversation here about Marvin's influence. Stevie Wonder spoke of how his 70s music was influenced by 'What's Going On.' Smokey said it was his all-time favorite album. I know they are his Motown family but it is still a staggering compliment coming from two of the greatest singer/songwriters of all time.

I just saw it myself. It ticked most of the right boxes. I only wish the doc had more strongly emphasized the fact that Berry initially wanted to shelve it, which is one of the most remarkable facts in its history to me. But it didn’t detract from a well-crafted special.
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-15-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I just saw it myself. It ticked most of the right boxes. I only wish the doc had more strongly emphasized the fact that Berry initially wanted to shelve it, which is one of the most remarkable facts in its history to me. But it didn’t detract from a well-crafted special.
    I noted that as well. The special made it seem as if Gordy was supportive and eager for Marvin to complete his 'protest' record. I have always heard the opposite. A little revisionist history?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I noted that as well. The special made it seem as if Gordy was supportive and eager for Marvin to complete his 'protest' record. I have always heard the opposite. A little revisionist history?
    Perhaps—or maybe just plain old oversight. Sidebar: Don Lemon’s got some pipes!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Always! It's like the Motown is still in the spin cycle.

I missed the doc. I don't know how long it was, but here's a bit of it.

https://youtu.be/bHuX1__NSB8