[REMOVE ADS]

Paul Stanley's Soul Station - Now And Then [[2021)

KISS co-founder & frontman, best-selling author and Rock & Roll Hall of Famer PAUL STANLEY has spent the last few years developing a project close to his heart. Soul Station is a band gathering some of today’s leading musicians to pay tribute to the greatest artists and songs from the R&B and soul catalogue to keep this vital music current. While a surprise to many, Stanley’s early pivotal roots in this music has quietly turned this passion into a celebrated touring and recording band. Stanley’s 15-piece ensemble group has toured the U.S. and Japan, and recently recorded an album of nine classic soul songs and five new original songs.
    Famous rock stars paying homage to a genre that inspired them is nothing new, though more often than not, these vanity projects manifest themselves in the form of well-meant but heavy-handed Americana "roots" collaborations or the inevitable jazz standards record. As the frontman for Kiss, Paul Stanley has made a lasting impact on rock & roll, marshalling one of the industry's most die-hard fan bases, the Kiss Army, well into its fifth decade of obsession. While Stanley-penned classics like "Lick It Up" and "Hotter Than Hell" are far from subtle, his voice has always been a particularly nuanced instrument with more range than Kiss' music usually allowed. Before donning the face paint and frightening generations of parents as the Starchild, Stanley was just another 1960s New York teenager listening to Otis Redding, Philly soul, and Motown hits on the radio. On Now and Then, his first release fronting Paul Stanley's Soul Station, he honors that particular era of R&B and soul, offering up vivid renditions of much-loved classics as well as five originals written in the same vein. Unmasked and guitarless in front of a nimble 15-piece band, his takes on evergreen hits like Smokey Robinson's "The Tracks of My Tears" and the Five Stairsteps' "O-o-h Child" are decidedly faithful, coming across as affectionate tributes rather than self-serving showpieces. Wielding his warm falsetto with ease, Stanley gamely tackles the Temptations' enduringly sweet "Just My Imagination [[Running Away with Me)," sounding nothing like the hard rock god of "Love Gun" or "Detroit Rock City" fame. Dappled with horns, strings, backing singers, and a robust rhythm section, Soul Station's arrangements are elegant and lively, pumping up the energy when needed without going over the top. A record like this could have easily gone south, but Stanley's love for these songs is quite apparent, making Now and Then a surprisingly pleasing listen. ~ Timothy Monger, All Music
    Track List:

01. Could It Be I’m Falling in Love [4:02]
    02. I Do [3:12]
    03. I, Oh I [3:18]
    04. Ooo Baby Baby [3:08]
    05. O-O-H Child [3:43]
    06. Save Me [[From You) [3:32]
    07. Just My Imagination [[Running Away With Me) [3:56]
    08. Whenever You’re Ready [[I’m Here) [3:05]
    09. The Tracks of My Tears [3:04]
    10. Let’s Stay Together [3:49]
    11. La-La – Means I Love You [4:01]
    12. Lorelei [3:10]
    13. You Are Everything [3:48]
    14. Baby I Need Your Loving [3:05]

Hmmm ... another batch of [[largely) non-Black musicians cashing in on soul music. Maybe it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Hmmm ... another batch of [[largely) non-Black musicians cashing in on soul music. Maybe it's good.

Hmmm ... another post from someone obsessed with the color of people's skin. How *-------*.

Anyway back to the topic:

Thanks Jack, for sharing this ! Paul sounds like someone who really loves music!! Nice care and attention applied to the arranging and musicianship.
    This is probably the best new project I've heard in the last five years! Who knew I might be a Paul Stanley fan !!?
    .....whicha baby ! ...lol!

Kind of hard to go wrong with this one :

I think he pulls this off rather nicely:

Could this be a hit these days if chosen as the single ...

Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-07-2021 at 02:01 AM.

Related sideways, I'm remembering that band mate Ace Frehley released this single from his solo album of 1978:

This remind anyone of a certain Motown talent?

I listened to some samples of the album, not bad at all. I don’t really know much about Kiss or Paul, but I think it’s clear that he has a genuine love for the music. It’s cool to see him try this, very different from Kiss

I like some of the original tunes a lot actually!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Related sideways, I'm remembering that band mate Ace Frehley released this single from his solo album of 1978:

This remind anyone of a certain Motown talent?
    Hey Boogie, I listened to this many weeks ago, and I couldn't figure out who you meant...

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Boogie, I listened to this many weeks ago, and I couldn't figure out who you meant...

Hi Tom , here ya go!: