[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson and Universal

I actually liked the photo on the front of Supreme Glamour. I never saw that one before plus Diana is so iconic there is no way you wouldn't know who it was especially standing between Mary and Florence. I think it is extraordinary as I do Diana's first solo album cover.

Well if its true what Mr. Schwartz said about backing more releases would it be safe to say there wont be anymore delays on getting more Supremes material out [[Expanded Editions)?

It's nice to read Mary and diana where in touch recently..I wouldn't be surprised if mark bego chose the cover shot of supreme glamour with diana's head bowed..he hates diana with a vengeance

Thanks so much for sharing the news Luke! It's great to hear that there will be more previously unreleased music coming from The Supremes and that Mary Wilson & Diana Ross were on good terms before Mary's passing two months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    It's nice to read Mary and diana where in touch recently..I wouldn't be surprised if mark bego chose the cover shot of supreme glamour with diana's head bowed..he hates diana with a vengeance
    I don't know much about Bego but I always found that selection of cover shot highly suspect.

I understand that Bego was one of Mary's closest friends but he always came off as an instigator to me.

I remember reading in an article when the book was released that the publisher chose the cover shot and it was not the one that Mary wanted for the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I understand that Bego was one of Mary's closest friends but he always came off as an instigator to me.
    Hes a sh*t stirrer and truth isnt his best friend.

Can't stand him. I wanted to support the cookbook that Mary was involved with but then I found out Bego was behind it and I ditched that idea. He'll never get a dime from me. I appreciate his devotion to Mary but he's nasty when it comes to Diana. Always makes me wonder how often he stirred the pot between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Yup. That's it right there. Shit starter. I bet he's been behind some of the shenanigans.

So why does this Bego guy hate her he most likely never even met her

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    So why does this Bego guy hate her he most likely never even met her
    Why do so many "fans" hate Diana or hate Mary?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I dont get it either.

I've gotten annoyed by Diana, Mary and Flo's behavior but I'd never say I hated them.

I was never a fan of Mary, but i most certainly did not hate her, but i think some fans did just as some of the Mary brigade hate/hated Diana.
    Hate is a very strong word and a very strong emotion.

I love everyone. That is all.

I also don't understand the rationale behind hating a certain Supreme, especially those who hate Diana. Are these people Supremes fans who now strictly only listen to Mary and Flo's solo recordings? I would guess that they probably start to convulse when Baby Love unexpectedly starts playing on their car radio?

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I also don't understand the rationale behind hating a certain Supreme, especially those who hate Diana. Are these people Supremes fans who now strictly only listen to Mary and Flo's solo recordings? I would guess that they probably start to convulse when Baby Love unexpectedly starts playing on their car radio?
    Can I get an ER-men?? How can anyone sane listen to the Supremes but hate Diana? Ummm .. who else do we hear on the discography? What I dislike about the whole Social-Face phenomonical is that we don't know with whom we are dealing. A real fan from the days of buying 45s in wig shops and corner stores, or 15 year olds who are reading shixxx stuff on the gurglenet?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    A real fan from the days of buying 45s in wig shops and corner stores, or 15 year olds who are reading shixxx stuff on the gurglenet?
    OMG PnH. You're always good for a spit-take!

oh how i miss the 45 single..fast forward today its zombie's being controlled by spotify playlists..
    Last edited by nomis; 05-02-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post

As a 50 year fan of Diana Ross & The Supremes, I’m happy for articles about Mary Wilson. Her tragic and unexpected passing has left her fans shaken. I do have to point out a few in accuracies in thr article.

1) Motown did not “ shelve the album just after release” as it remained in their catalogue until at least the end of 1980. There were in-store promotional items, listening parties, promo copies serviced to radio, the press and clubs. Additionally, Diana Ross prominently supported Mary at her solo debut to help draw publicity. The album was met with unenthusiastic reviews and sales but received great play in clubs.

2) The album was not a victim of disco backlash. In 1979, half of Billboards Top 100 singles were disco records. Donna Summer enjoyed her greatest success that year, Diana Ross had a huge album, Village People, Chic and many others scored mammoth sales successes with disco music. Mary had little experience with this type of music and would eventually find solo success plus strong critical acclaim as a crooner. The album, for the record, is not all dance music.

3) The controversial book cover of Supreme Glamour enjoyed a completely different genesis before its release as Bego himself was heard to be commenting with relish about the photo he personally selected. Ask a professional writer or you might enquirer whether any publisher releasing a book about The Supremes would demand a cover photo hiding the face of its most preeminent star. This is Absurd and insulting plus it exposes the ease of shade shoved in fans faces.
    Mary Wilson was a beautiful, talented Motown star who, along with Diana Ross and Florence Ballard changed music and social history. There’s no need to taint her legacy with revisionism - she was great just the way she was.

I might be in a small minority, but I've never seen the issue with the cover photo of SUPREME GLAMOUR. It's not a widely used shot, which I think adds to the allure of the book. Everyone, and I mean everyone, knows who Diana Ross is. It could have been a picture of her backside on the cover, and we'd still know who it is. I've seen worse photos of Diana, so I guess this is just lost on me. I can't imagine Diana gave it a second thought, and the only controversy surrounding it is the one that was created to bring more attention to the project.

That’s EXACTLY what he did......the BS spewing forth since Mary’s passing is enough to float a battleship. The only thing more obvious about him than his watery eyes, gin blossom nose and bitchy candor is his overt hatred of Diana - and he wasn’t alone in that feeling.

im so glad the album came out - Mary was delighted. It gave her a sense of legitimacy that, oddly, she really wanted. It’s interesting that both Diana and Mary - HUGELY successful in their own right, beyond accomplished, still dealt with personal insecurities. Who would think it? Diana is so confident onstage, not so much in interviews- but Mary always appears so comfortable and confident onstage, in interviews and socially, yet - she had them as well. I believe that is the root of her Diana issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I was never a fan of Mary, but i most certainly did not hate her, but i think some fans did just as some of the Mary brigade hate/hated Diana.
    Hate is a very strong word and a very strong emotion.
    I've admired both ladies for the better part of 30 years. Comparing them is comparing apples to oranges. I've never tried to pick a camp; I keep neither on a pedestal, and their faults, just like any other human. The joy they both and individually bring me far outweighs making it a popularity contest.

I hate to admit it, but I think Mary's passing has brought out the best in everyone. The viciousness and cattiness has seem to have subsided. That's not to say critiques won't continue, but I think there's a way to do it respectfully.

Can I get an ER-men?? How can anyone sane listen to the Supremes but hate Diana? Ummm .. who else do we hear on the discography? What I dislike about the whole Social-Face phenomonical is that we don't know with whom we are dealing. A real fan from the days of buying 45s in wig shops and corner stores, or 15 year olds who are reading shixxx stuff on the gurglenet?
    Lol. Well said, Peace.

...I hate to admit it, but I think Mary's passing has brought out the best in everyone. The viciousness and cattiness has seem to have subsided. That's not to say critiques won't continue, but I think there's a way to do it respectfully.

The viciousness to Diana/Mary seems to have subsided in mid August of last year long before Mary's passing.

I don't think Mary's passing had anything to do with the subsiding of viciousness and cattiness.

However, Mary's passing has made many people appreciate her more. We don't know what we've got until we lose it.

I have been a Supreme fan since Day 1. There was no internet. I knew the fans through fan clubs, letters and phone calls. They were all civil. But I discovered the dark side in 2000 when I joined the RTL Message Boards. OMG. Just about made me ashamed to be a Supreme fan. Could never understand why some of the "fans" have to knock one Supreme down to put another on a pedestal.

Speaking of being on something, I'll get off my soapbox.
    Last edited by milven; 05-02-2021 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    As a 50 year fan of Diana Ross & The Supremes, I’m happy for articles about Mary Wilson. Her tragic and unexpected passing has left her fans shaken. I do have to point out a few in accuracies in thr article.

1) Motown did not “ shelve the album just after release” as it remained in their catalogue until at least the end of 1980. There were in-store promotional items, listening parties, promo copies serviced to radio, the press and clubs. Additionally, Diana Ross prominently supported Mary at her solo debut to help draw publicity. The album was met with unenthusiastic reviews and sales but received great play in clubs.

2) The album was not a victim of disco backlash. In 1979, half of Billboards Top 100 singles were disco records. Donna Summer enjoyed her greatest success that year, Diana Ross had a huge album, Village People, Chic and many others scored mammoth sales successes with disco music. Mary had little experience with this type of music and would eventually find solo success plus strong critical acclaim as a crooner. The album, for the record, is not all dance music.

3) The controversial book cover of Supreme Glamour enjoyed a completely different genesis before its release as Bego himself was heard to be commenting with relish about the photo he personally selected. Ask a professional writer or you might enquirer whether any publisher releasing a book about The Supremes would demand a cover photo hiding the face of its most preeminent star. This is Absurd and insulting plus it exposes the ease of shade shoved in fans faces.
    Mary Wilson was a beautiful, talented Motown star who, along with Diana Ross and Florence Ballard changed music and social history. There’s no need to taint her legacy with revisionism - she was great just the way she was.
    I agree with all of this except that Mary had solo success.

The truth is she never had a solo hit.

She went back to school, was an author, worked very hard for artist’s right and was a keeper of the Motown flame - but she was not a successful solo artist who had hits.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    The viciousness to Diana/Mary seems to have subsided in mid August of last year long before Mary's passing.

I don't think Mary's passing had anything to do with the subsiding of viciousness and cattiness.

However, Mary's passing has made many people appreciate her more. We don't know what we've got until we lose it.

I have been a Supreme fan since Day 1. There was no internet. I knew the fans through fan clubs, letters and phone calls. They were all civil. But I discovered the dark side in 2000 when I joined the RTL Message Boards. OMG. Just about made me ashamed to be a Supreme fan. Could never understand why some of the "fans" have to knock one Supreme down to put another on a pedestal.

Speaking of being on something, I'll get off my soapbox.
    You speak the truth in your very first sentence. We all know when and why the viciousness and cattiness subsided. You are the first person to have had the balls to come out and say it. Enough said.

i must be insane then. The first Supremes record I heard which raised my interest was Stoned Love. I then explored their further records. I’ll state for the record I vastly preferred the 70s Supremes. I don’t like Diana’s voice but I certainly don’t hate her.. tho I’m certainly not a fan. I own a couple of her later 80s/90s cd’s as I liked the songs
    also for the record I’m 54

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I agree with all of this except that Mary had solo success.

The truth is she never had a solo hit.

She went back to school, was an author, worked very hard for artist’s right and was a keeper of the Motown flame - but she was not a successful solo artist who had hits.
    that depends on how you measure solo success, certainly she never had solo hits but ever since 77, she’s still been booked around the world either as a solo , part of a revue or as part of a package . Solo she played prestigious venues like the London palladium as well as other less prestigious venues but she was still being booked, there was still interest in her performances,still demand from promoters ...solo recording success aside

You speak the truth in your very first sentence. We all know when and why the viciousness and cattiness subsided. You are the first person to have had the balls to come out and say it. Enough said.
    Perhaps the cattiness did indeed subside on this forum at that time, but it has not subsided elsewhere, whether that be in the Facebook groups, YouTube or Twitter. When Mary passed, I still read a handful of rude and immature comments from other anti-Diana and anti-Mary people on Twitter. Unfortunately, the bitterness in both camps still exists. There will always be bitter keyboard warriors.
    Last edited by carlo; 05-03-2021 at 03:07 PM.

To be fair Marv was calming down before he passed. I keep forgetting he's no longer with us. I remember when Mary passed thats when I was reminded he was no longer with us.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Perhaps the cattiness did indeed subside on this forum at that time, but it has not subsided elsewhere, whether that be in the Facebook groups, YouTube or Twitter. When Mary passed, I still read a handful of rude and immature comments from other anti-Diana and anti-Mary people on Twitter. Unfortunately, the bitterness in both camps still exists. There will always be bitter keyboard warriors.
    There is is an old colloquial saying in the UK that reads “there’s nowt as queer as folk”.
    If you venture onto other fan sites, there usually exists a small obsessive faction who exhibit an extreme form of fan adulation. Some because they are misinformed, others simply can’t cope with the fact that others might deem their chosen celebrity less then perfect. Those fans are thus labelled haters.
    Mercifully most of us are balanced individuals who can remain loyal fans while happily discussing all facets on the life and career of DR&TS....Good or bad.

I hope the said person is at peace now and with the Lord. I always felt his nastiness and almost 24/7 obsession of Diana Ross covered up a heap of pain.

God bless Marvin Davis.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I hope the said person is at peace now and with the Lord. I always felt his nastiness and almost 24/7 obsession of Diana Ross covered up a heap of pain.

God bless Marvin Davis.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Agreed. Nicely stated and very Christian. Thank you for showing that kindness.

God bless Marvin Davis.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Very possibly Roberta. Let us hope he has found the peace and inner happiness which seemingly eluded him during his time on earth.
    May he r.i.p.

God bless Marvin Davis.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Thats a thoughtful post Roberta.