[REMOVE ADS]

MARY WILSON solo recording history

I am seeking some clarity on Mary Wilson's recording history.

So, she recorded the "Mary Wilson" album and the four Gus Dudgeon tracks while signed to Motown.

Later she recorded "Don't Get Mad, Get Even" and "Oooh Child" for Motorcity records.

When did she record the unreleased "Stronger In The Broken Part," "My Love Life's A Disaster," "Sleeping In Separate Rooms," "The One I Love," and "Can We Talk About It?"

Were these tracks recorded for a record label, or were they things she just did on her own? I heard at one time that Ms. Wilson came very close to signing with both Boardwalk records [[just prior to Neil Bogart's death) and later Atlantic records. Is that true? Which tracks were recorded for each label?

Are there other unreleased songs from the 1980's?

Her second book lists her recording MY LOVE LIFE IS A DISASTER in 1986. I've seen a few tv spots where she sang it and when I saw her in 1987, it was her opening number. That said, her book lists it as unreleased. And I vaguely recall a Blues and Soul article that confirmed as much.

Her book also mentions an unreleased duet with Dionne Warwick, HEARTBREAK OF LOVE. Not sure what happened there. I guess either Dionne and/or Clive Davis changed their minds because when the recording was released in 1987, June Pointer was singing it with Dionne.

But what about the others?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Her second book lists her recording MY LOVE LIFE IS A DISASTER in 1986. I've seen a few tv spots where she sang it and when I saw her in 1987, it was her opening number. That said, her book lists it as unreleased. And I vaguely recall a Blues and Soul article that confirmed as much.

Her book also mentions an unreleased duet with Dionne Warwick, HEARTBREAK OF LOVE. Not sure what happened there. I guess either Dionne and/or Clive Davis changed their minds because when the recording was released in 1987, June Pointer was singing it with Dionne.

I read somewhere that Mary was right on the verge of signing with Boardwalk Records in 1982, but then label founder Neil Bogart passed away and the deal fell through. Is there any truth to that???

Then, I have also heard that Mary later was on the verge of signing with Atlantic Records, but for whatever reason, that did not take place. According to this report, "Sleeping In Separate Rooms" was supposedly recorded for Atlantic, and maybe another song or two were also cut for them. Then they decided not to pick up Ms. Wilson's option. Any truth to this? Details???

Do any of you know more about these near-deals for Ms. Wilson? Also, which songs were recorded for each label?

Also, in March of 2018 Ms. Wilson herself told me that she had given several master tapes of songs she had recorded in the past to Sweet Feet Records. She said they were in the process of remixing and editing some of these tracks, and she said a follow-up to "Time To Move On" would be forthcoming. At that time, she said it would be out "by summer..." Then, nothing... Why didn't Sweet Feet issue a follow-up to their charted release on Ms. Wilson?