[REMOVE ADS]

Eddie Kendicks TV Clip

Who's the group here with Eddie ... the Young Senators, Posse ??

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post

I don't know who the group was but this was short lived. Perhaps Motown felt Eddie needed some backing dancers to energize his act. For coming out of a dynamic group like the Temptations, when Eddie was solo he just stood there and sang. I remember when he was at his peak in the 70s many reviewers commented on his rather boring stage presence behind such major hit records. Eddie was a difficult guy. Darling Come Back Home should have been a hit

"Eddie was a difficult guy. "

He was when I met him, backstage hours before he was due to perform.
    Just us two.....he signed all my LP covers.
    Probably with him 10 minutes, he never said a word to me at all.
    I know that artists must be wary of "fans" who have no idea who the artist is, but he surely could see I was genuine.

In his defence, I know he was not in good health, but still appearing for concert.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    The four young men are not The Young Senators.
    The Young Senators are [[and still are) a full band of musicians in their own right from Washington DC.. Eddie Kendricks came across them in Washington, and asked them to be his seven piece backing band. They subsequently went into Hitsville and made the People Hold On album with him. [[They claim to be the first non Motown group of musicians allowed into Motown studios to provide the instrumentation).

Here are The Young Senators backing Eddie on Keep On Trucking, a live performance.

The four young men on Darling Come Back Home are I believe The Posse. They were a five piece vocal group mentored and managed by Eddie Kendricks, with releases on E.J.K. Records, Janus and VIP. Their lead singer Rick Langston was a precise sound alike for Eddie. .

Here are the same singers as a five piece vocal group backing Eddie on "Each Day I Cry A Little."

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 01-02-2023 at 02:09 PM.

Fascinating to watch...because he was working with FOUR other background singers/dancers. Plus, they were positioned right up next to him--not slightly behind or in the back. I suppose Eddie could stage his show/performances however the heck he wanted, but... this certainly seems an odd choice for someone who wanted out of the 5-member Temptations to do his own thing. If you want people to think of you as a solo performer, why recreate an image of that group you just left a couple of years before? Just wondering.

I don't know for certain whether this song would've been a hit if it had been released as a single. What I find catchy about it is the use of steel drum. Different and certainly not a sound everyone was including in their music in 1973.

I imagine Eddie who was the group's manager and mentor needed to provide work and exposure for the group and therefore they were on stage with him. Furthermore, Eddie static on stage was perhaps not as capitivating and dynamic as some would think, so either dancers or choroeography by backing vocalists added visual interest. And finally, much of Eddie's recordings featured lots of complex textured harmonies and these would be an integral and essential part of his performances at that time.

Here's a picture of The Posse on Janus Records.
    Name:  POSSE.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  87.9 KB
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 01-02-2023 at 02:20 PM.

Whilst we are on the subject of The Posse, here's an unusual updated and unreleased recording by Jerry Carr on Rick Langston.

And here is a masterclass by Eddie with his live vocals at their very best and backed by The Young Senators and a small contribution by their lead vocalist Jimmy Dougans

Eddie and The Young Senators live Keep On Trucking

Eddie and The Young Senators If You Let Me

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    The four young men on Darling Come Back Home are I believe The Posse. They were a five piece vocal group mentored and managed by Eddie Kendricks, with releases on E.J.K. Records, Janus and VIP. Their lead singer Rick Langston was a precise sound alike for Eddie. .

Here are the same singers as a five piece vocal group backing Eddie on "Each Day I Cry A Little."

Isn't the person standing behind Eddie a woman? She is clearly visible from 2:22-2:34.
    Who is she and how does she fit in here?

No idea:[[......and I guess we will never know. Maybe Rick, as a lead singer, didn't want to do backing vocals?