[REMOVE ADS]

LaBrenda Ben & The Vandellas or The Beljeans or The Andantes?

I own a promo copy of Motown 1033 which credits LaBrenda Ben & The Vandellas on "Camel Walk" and just LaBrenda Ben on "The Chaperone". After the record was withdrawn and transferred to Gordy, both sides changed to credit Labrenda Ben & The Beljeans.

According to some comments on MotownJunkies, Louvain has confirmed[?] that "The Beljeans" is an alias for the Andantes, but the comments read like they're only backing LaBrenda on the "Chaperone" side. So did LaBrenda's version of "Camel Walk" use the same backing track and backing vocals as Saundra Mallett's version or is it just a misprint/typo on the Motown copy?

Anyone with better ears than mine able to hear the difference or is it the Vandellas on both recordings?

LaBrenda Ben:

Saundra Mallett:

Ah, never mind. According to TCMS it is the exact same backing track and backing vocals on the two versions of "Camel Walk".

I would guess the credit change from The Vandellas to The Beljeans on both sides of Gordy 7009 would've been done to avoid any confusion with the upcoming debut release from Martha & The Vandellas on Gordy 7011.
    Last edited by nsoule; 04-24-2021 at 06:47 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes that sounds like The Vandellas. Martha has a very strong voice and unique tone. You can always hear her through [[and above) the group as a whole. It's the same backing as Saundra had.

The Mr M. guide only stipulates what was on the Labels, dosen't really help, always thought them to be the Vandellas. I'll ask LD next time I contact her.

Attachment 19011

Ask Rosalind. She remembers what Annette forgets.

The following report states that the Beljeans were Billie Jean Brown & Sandra Edwards !!!

Billboard - 4 May 1963 - Page 20

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rix View Post
    The following report states that the Beljeans were Billie Jean Brown & Sandra Edwards !!!

Billboard - 4 May 1963 - Page 20
Views: 317
    I'll take Louvain Demps' word that The Beljeans were The Andantes. I never read anything that stated that Billie Jean Brown was an aspiring professional singer, or that she sang at all.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 317
    I'll take Louvain Demps' word that The Beljeans were The Andantes. I never read anything that stated that Billie Jean Brown was an aspiring professional singer, or that she sang at all.
    Agreed Robb ... but it made good reading at the time !