[REMOVE ADS]

Albums That Are Disliked, vs. Those That Are Loved

It's always been fascinating that there is so much discussion about Diana Ross lp's that posters do not like while threads about albums by [supposedly] beloved Motowners such as Marvin Gaye, GS&tP, MR&tV etc die on the vine [perhaps two exceptions - 'Black Magic' & 'WGO" have historically received enthusiastic discussion]. I wonder why that is? Human nature to focus on the negative? A higher standard applying to a higher profile performer? Good old fashioned trolling?

my guess is that there's just a larger group of fans here on Soulful Detroit focusing on the Sups/DR. I believe part of the reason Ralph moved Sup content to the subgroup was to sequester some of the crazy venom that was often found in these group posts. there were some Mary fans and some DR fans that would simply refuse to accept any contradictory opinions on "their girl!" and things would quickly devolve into chaos

but another reason was that the Sup/DR fans would make LOTS of posts. so much so that it would often appear to be ONLY posts on the girls while all other motown artists were rarely appearing the above the fold of the web page. if you were a Temps fan or Martha, you might log into the site but nothing interesting appears in the upper area of the main page.

so because there's a relatively large and active group of Sup posters, we have our own space and we are continually tossing out new threads.

DR also has many more albums that the Tops, Tempts or Martha. so there's just so much more content to explore

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    my guess is that there's just a larger group of fans here on Soulful Detroit focusing on the Sups/DR. I believe part of the reason Ralph moved Sup content to the subgroup was to sequester some of the crazy venom that was often found in these group posts. there were some Mary fans and some DR fans that would simply refuse to accept any contradictory opinions on "their girl!" and things would quickly devolve into chaos

but another reason was that the Sup/DR fans would make LOTS of posts. so much so that it would often appear to be ONLY posts on the girls while all other motown artists were rarely appearing the above the fold of the web page. if you were a Temps fan or Martha, you might log into the site but nothing interesting appears in the upper area of the main page.

so because there's a relatively large and active group of Sup posters, we have our own space and we are continually tossing out new threads.

DR also has many more albums that the Tops, Tempts or Martha. so there's just so much more content to explore
    It very well could be a simple matter of numbers and general interest as you posit and the [possible/probable] logistics of many more members going straight to the DRATS forum. Personally I find it somewhat dispiriting that the same negative comments are made by the same posters about the same DR solo lps over and over [[and over) while so many great Motown lps by the other acts we have both mentioned are pretty much completely ignored ... but, I suppose, such is life! At least we have lots of great music to listen to, if not discuss -

i guess it also depends on what those fans which to discuss. I've tried initiating discussions on some of the 4T albums like Still Water and Nature Planned it. but not much engagement

with the Sup and DR albums, you have a more focused location for these discussions, more people looking for these topics and people with very passionate opinions lol

I do enjoy chatting about these albums and don't really get tired of some of the lps coming up again and again. typically there'll be a few different fans each time and so the opportunity to hear new POVs. and sometimes someone shares something new and it triggers an "ah ha" or something

Just my opinion, but two reasons come to mind. Diana’s discography is so varied—pop, R&B, show tunes, MOR, disco, jazz, country—we never knew what to expect with each release. I imagine it was difficult for many fans to appreciate every genre she has tackled. Add to this Diana’s fan base, myself included, is quite passionate and vocal about All Things Ross...

i guess it also depends on what those fans which to discuss. I've tried initiating discussions on some of the 4T albums like Still Water and Nature Planned it. but not much engagement

with the Sup and DR albums, you have a more focused location for these discussions, more people looking for these topics and people with very passionate opinions lol

I do enjoy chatting about these albums and don't really get tired of some of the lps coming up again and again. typically there'll be a few different fans each time and so the opportunity to hear new POVs. and sometimes someone shares something new and it triggers an "ah ha" or something
    I believe I've tried a 4T 'Nature' thread as well. Short, hot take: I love the lp, but I do wish there were more Tops and less Andantes. Regardless of their talent, our Tops were all the voices any lp needed! Lo these decades later the title song and the cover of 'Hey Man/We Gotta ...' are still spine-chill inducing. That Levi - right?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I believe I've tried a 4T 'Nature' thread as well. Short, hot take: I love the lp, but I do wish there were more Tops and less Andantes. Regardless of their talent, our Tops were all the voices any lp needed! Lo these decades later the title song and the cover of 'Hey Man/We Gotta ...' are still spine-chill inducing. That Levi - right?
    Nature is a very solid album. not quite as excellent as Still Water but a better package than Changing Times. Walk With Me is great.

Still Water is a masterpiece. just excellent throughout. Bring Me Together is one of the most beautiful ballads. i adore that song!