[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The reviewer also says the song was meant for Cindy Birdsong. That is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Here's an interesting review. In it, the reviewer said Susaye claims she is on every single song on High Energy, not just over-dubbed on two. Does anybody remember Susaye making this claim? First I hear of it: http://discodelivery.blogspot.com/20...gh-energy.html
    if you go by the recording dates that we have available, it's certainly possible that Susaye is on all of HE.

the big question is when did Susaye join the group - specifically what day? and when was her first recording session. Of course she was already part of the overall motown family, seeing as how she was working with Stevie in Wonderlove. so being able to jump over to the Supremes wouldn't have necessarily been as complex as when Scherrie joined from another label.

as for dates

Jan 29, 1976 - this is the first date we have for any vocals for the released songs on the HE project and on this date Scherrie did a lead for Walking

Feb 6 has the lead by Mary for I Don't Want To Lose You

then there's a big block of recording sessions, including all of the data on background vocals, starting 2/10. Susaye is clearly on the unreleased version of I Don't Want To Lose You and we have recording dates of 2/11 and 2/12 for those. there's data on background vocals from 5 of the 8 songs during this time period.

Susaye did her Walking lead on 2/20.

So based on this info, i think there's definitely some legitimate claims to Susaye being on much of the HE album, not just her 2 lead vocals. But then the question becomes is Cindy actually on any of it? when did she actually leave? what was her last date in the recording studio?

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I know that you wanted Scherrie to handle most of the lead with Mary doing a few songs but that wasn’t gonna happen. And I don’t blame Mary for taking a big leap. I wish that Cindy had more of a chance to do her thing.
    i get it that other fans have other perspectives and that's great. it's interesting to hear everyone's different POV's for how they might have changes things or what they did/didn't like

i do definitely like the larger role Mary played in the 70s, especially on the album MS&S. i think that's a superb balance of the group with lots of showcases for everyone. Mary sounds sensational on her sexy parts of Sweet Dream. actually all 3 sound fabulous and hot on that.

Love Supremes and this show is good but not great.with the negative reviews you think someone would have read them n smelled the coffee.
    Songs like the way we were should be out.agree one of her solo tracks from the albums.the hits medley is a ness for sure.with these great vocalist they could have knocked out hits like love is here and someday we'll be together

That question you should ask Ralph since his brother Russ was the engineer on the project.
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    if you go by the recording dates that we have available, it's certainly possible that Susaye is on all of HE.

the big question is when did Susaye join the group - specifically what day? and when was her first recording session. Of course she was already part of the overall motown family, seeing as how she was working with Stevie in Wonderlove. so being able to jump over to the Supremes wouldn't have necessarily been as complex as when Scherrie joined from another label.

as for dates

Jan 29, 1976 - this is the first date we have for any vocals for the released songs on the HE project and on this date Scherrie did a lead for Walking

Feb 6 has the lead by Mary for I Don't Want To Lose You

then there's a big block of recording sessions, including all of the data on background vocals, starting 2/10. Susaye is clearly on the unreleased version of I Don't Want To Lose You and we have recording dates of 2/11 and 2/12 for those. there's data on background vocals from 5 of the 8 songs during this time period.

Susaye did her Walking lead on 2/20.

So based on this info, i think there's definitely some legitimate claims to Susaye being on much of the HE album, not just her 2 lead vocals. But then the question becomes is Cindy actually on any of it? when did she actually leave? what was her last date in the recording studio?

i get it that other fans have other perspectives and that's great. it's interesting to hear everyone's different POV's for how they might have changes things or what they did/didn't like

i do definitely like the larger role Mary played in the 70s, especially on the album MS&S. i think that's a superb balance of the group with lots of showcases for everyone. Mary sounds sensational on her sexy parts of Sweet Dream. actually all 3 sound fabulous and hot on that.
    Mary's verse on Sweet Dream Machine was her best vocal on any Supremes or solo disco/dance oriented material.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I wish that Cindy had more of a chance to do her thing.
    Mary, Cindy & Scherrie is one of my favourite Supremes lineups, I only wish that Cindy had more of a spotlight too. It's obvious to me that Mary's goal at the time was that all three members would eventually share more leads [[hence Cindy's "Marilyn" solo, Mary encouraging Cindy to take vocal training, like she had done), that the group would move away from being one lead and two backups. Unfortunately, it seems to me that Cindy wasn't entirely up to that at this point, and Motown was apparently breathing down Mary's neck about it also. In Cindy's case, I can only speculate, though I imagine with all that was going on in her own life, plus rejoining the Supremes at a time when the group seemed to be struggling, it was perhaps like being asked to do more for less in return.
    Last edited by telekin; 04-30-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Here's an interesting review. In it, the reviewer said Susaye claims she is on every single song on High Energy, not just over-dubbed on two. Does anybody remember Susaye making this claim? First I hear of it: http://discodelivery.blogspot.com/20...gh-energy.html
    Full disclosure: This is my review from some years back. There's a link in that statement to a post from Susaye's old Yahoo! Group where she said as much. Unfortunately that seems to be all lost to the ether, after Yahoo! shut down their groups a little while ago. I wished I had gone back and archived all the various discussions on the Supremes groups there.
    Last edited by telekin; 04-30-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Do we have a release date for the album? Wikipedia lists "1 April 1976", which seems too early in the light of the submission date{s} for the Terrana mixes. Cashbox on the 24th of that month has an announcement for the album, which mentions what "will" be done to sell it {radio, trade advertising, in store displays etc.}. Record World on the 1st of the next month reviews the album in the Disco File column as an essential new album. This would suggest a release date in between those two dates. Tuesday was a common release day, which would be the 27th.
    Last edited by smallworld; 03-13-2023 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Do we have a release date for the album? Wikipedia lists "1 April 1976", which seems too early in the light of the submission date{s} for the Terrana mixes. Cashbox on the 24th of that month has an announcement for the album, which mentions what "will" be done to sell it {radio, trade advertising, in store displays etc.}. Record World on the 1st of the next month reviews the album in the Disco File column as an essential new album. This would suggest a release date in between those two dates. Tuesday was a common release day, which would be the 27th.
    oddly enough, by the 70s we seems to have less exact release dates for their albums. i've been going through all of the Expanded Edition booklets, the cd books, etc. and around the time of New Ways, its just "oct 70" or the month.

so it's very possible someone just filled in the 1st. all i have is "april 76"

Susaye has said to me that she was brought into the studio and recorded all of the HE lp, mostly backing vocals.

Cindy is on all the tracks. She was fired halfway through but was allowed to finish the album so she could get royalties. Don't know how much royalties she wound up getting. This had to have been stressful for her. She was fired without notice and had no other plans of income. She basically wound up like Flo in many ways, was homeless living with different people as she studied to be a minister. Scherrie was adamantly against the termination but she had no power.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Susaye has said to me that she was brought into the studio and recorded all of the HE lp, mostly backing vocals.

Cindy is on all the tracks. She was fired halfway through but was allowed to finish the album so she could get royalties. Don't know how much royalties she wound up getting. This had to have been stressful for her. She was fired without notice and had no other plans of income. She basically wound up like Flo in many ways, was homeless living with different people as she studied to be a minister. Scherrie was adamantly against the termination but she had no power.
    with the LYG set and the original Russ mixes of the songs, you can clearly hear Susaye on several of the backing vocals. so she definitely recorded more than just the 2 lead vocals.

based on the recording dates, other than Walking, nearly everything was recorded in Feb. so that's also interesting that Cindy was still brought in to do vocals AFTER being let go

Bayou - was it you that shared the story of the group at an airport heading out [[i think they were leaving Toronto maybe?) and cindy walked up to Scherrie and told her she'd just been fired! Scherrie was very against this and even considered quitting herself. but somehow/for some reason opted to stay.

considering HE charted pretty well [[higher than any 70s album but Right On) at least she got some money from it.

can you imagine the tension in the studio with MSCS all there??!?!? pedro lurking around. the hollands just trying to get things done. wow

see i think the ballads and Teardrops are ok but i'm not convinced of that being the breakthrough for the group

first they should have released the more pop material on Sup 75 as a single. It's All Been Said, Can't Stop A Girl and Color My World would have been 3 perfect singles to re-establish the group in the pop world. and in that order IMO

It's all Been said is a strong song, it was ready by late 74 so works as the first out of the gate.

Stop a Girl is a better song and would have perfectly followed up that.

Color would have been an excellent transition to some more dance-oriented music.

Walking would then be the next single and man! haven't re-established the group's track record, i think this would have been the mega smash they needed

Teardrops would have been a challenging follow up IMO to Walking. it's wonderful that they did it like on Mike Douglas and it should have been added to the stage act. frankly it's a much better song than A Song For You.
    totally agree with your points, i like your choices

The Supremes Mary Wilson Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene[[including Cindy Birdsong) High Energy album is my favorite Supreme album, from start to finish, LOVE It.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    The Supremes Mary Wilson Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene[[including Cindy Birdsong) High Energy album is my favorite Supreme album, from start to finish, LOVE It.
    Mine as well. MSS is my favorite of all the lineups. I think their albums hold up very well indeed, to me they were more "orchestral" than they were "disco."