[REMOVE ADS]

"American Masters'' :PBS

I wonder why PBS has not produced an "American Masters" review of the career and life of Diana Ross. She is a trailblazer as a global performer of the vocal arts. It would be interesting to hear Diana Ross' experiences of touring around the world.

I would love for Diana to be profiled by AMERICAN MASTERS and while she is here to contribute to it. But I don't think Diana is the type of person who looks back. In one of her tour programs, she says something like she "only touches on the past in relation to where I am today." So because she takes that perspective, we end up with profiles of her on E! TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY or MATT LAUER'S HEADLINERS AND LEGENDS, and with no participation from her, although the latter did include her sister Rita.

Circa 1993, in the midst of her SECRETS OF A SPARROW blitz, Diana was supposed to be producing a mini-series on her career. During one of her honors, they showed a bit of she and Rhonda walking through the Brewster Projects and I think it was from this project. Circa 1999, again there was talk that she was doing something on the Supremes and this was mentioned briefly during her Oprah appearance that year. But nothing has materialized from either project.

I also think that Diana might be a bit fearful of revealing her true feelings about some of her past, particularly the Motown years. Everyone else has had their say and she deserves the same. She's almost damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.
    Last edited by reese; 04-22-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I would love for Diana to be profiled by AMERICAN MASTERS and while she is here to contribute to it. But I don't think Diana is the type of person who looks back. In one of her tour programs, she says something like she "only touches on the past in relation to there I am today." So because she takes that perspective, we end up with profiles of her on E! TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY or MATT LAUER'S HEADLINERS AND LEGENDS, and with no participation from her, although the latter did include her sister Rita.

Circa 1993, in the midst of her SECRETS OF A SPARROW blitz, Diana was supposed to be producing a mini-series on her career. During one of her honors, they showed a bit of she and Rhonda walking through the Brewster Projects and I think it was from this project. Circa 1999, again there was talk that she was doing something on the Supremes and this was mentioned briefly during her Oprah appearance that year. But nothing has materialized from either project.

I also think that Diana might be a bit fearful of revealing her true feelings about some of her past, particularly the Motown years. Everyone else has had their say and she deserves the same. She's almost damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.
    I agree until the 'damned if she doesn't' ! I think the real fans know that the lady isn't one to focus on looking back [[as you say) and also simply to keep her private life to herself, and we accept that.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I wonder why PBS has not produced an "American Masters" review of the career and life of Diana Ross. She is a trailblazer as a global performer of the vocal arts. It would be interesting to hear Diana Ross' experiences of touring around the world.
    She is unlikely to do it. She is happy to keep a low profile these days.
    She agreed to the UK tour pre-covid as a condition for recording new material, and whilst she will undertake promotional duties for the forthcoming album it is likely to rather low key and understated. That is the way she operates these days.

Marvin is the only Motown artist they did an American Masters documentary on. Stevie doesn't even have one yet. I can see them doing one on Whitney Houston or Aretha [[if they haven't already) than do one on Diana.
    Last edited by midnightman; 04-22-2021 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Marvin is the only Motown artist they did an American Masters documentary on. Stevie doesn't even have one yet. I can see them doing one on Whitney Houston or Aretha [[if they haven't already) than do one on Diana.
    Aretha was done back in the late 80s. As with some of their other programs, it was originally broadcast in the UK before being acquired by PBS.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Diana is as worthy as any of the people you mentioned of being profiled for this series.

Aretha was done back in the late 80s. As with some of their other programs, it was originally broadcast in the UK before being acquired by PBS.
    I just remembered now. Thanks. It was actually put out in 1987. Right before Carolyn passed the following week.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Diana is as worthy as any of the people you mentioned of being profiled for this series.
    Not disagreeing but there doesn't seem to be a push for one so far. Like I said, Stevie has yet to have one. And I'll love for them to do Prince. Diana is likely to get one too. They JUST did Sammy Davis Jr so it's not too late.

But I don't think Diana is the type of person who looks back.
    My manager said the same thing about a month ago! She said Diana doesn't strike her as someone who looks back on the past or is a sentimental person