[REMOVE ADS]

Motown 25 Supremes Video Montage

growing up this video Montage was everything to me...in the days before You Tube or Supremes dvd releases seeing Supremes footage was no easy task..its put together and edited so brilliantly..I watched it over and over again as the clips quickly flashed by.."Whats that from ?..and that ??" i used to say to myself..
    big thanks to whoever put it together

so where is it?

Nomis, I agree with you. I don't recall whether or not I watched any of the actual broadcast of Motown 25. If I did, I know that I would've probably only paid attention to Michael Jackson. My first recollection of the show was when I rented the VHS about ten years after it originally aired and I was about a year into my Supremes fandom. That video montage was the best thing. Like you said, no Youtube, no DVD releases. I know fans were exchanging videos but I didn't get in on it until the early 2000s. So until then I had to make do with the clips on Motown 25 and various clips on documentaries and the occasional Supremes performance on Sullivan when the show was being re-run in the 90s and I was able to tape a few performances. So I echo your sentiment. Big thumbs up to who put it together. It was very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    so where is it?
    It's the montage at the beginning of the Supremes reunion on Motown 25.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    growing up this video Montage was everything to me...in the days before You Tube or Supremes dvd releases seeing Supremes footage was no easy task..its put together and edited so brilliantly..I watched it over and over again as the clips quickly flashed by.."Whats that from ?..and that ??" i used to say to myself..
    big thanks to whoever put it together
    the local blockbuster video offered a couple of music VHS tapes including the Motown 25 and a couple of the Shindig/Hullabaloo ones. Plus early i got Girl Groups: The Story of a Sound. for a while, these were the only Supreme clips i had access too and i would watch them endlessly.

then there was a tv special or something highlighting the Sullivan show through the years. they did an abbreviated clip of YCHL.

i would pause the videos, inspect each and every frame to notice any little detail, would practically commit to memory their faces and expressions. just absorbed them

then in the 90s with the internet i discovered fan chat rooms and began to collect and trade bootleg music and video cassettes.

But as for the motown medley, it was excellent. especially the "stop! stop! stop! stop!... STOP!!!" and ending with the TCB stop. brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    It's the montage at the beginning of the Supremes reunion on Motown 25.
    Thanks. I remember it and just watched it on You Tube. I watched the show when it was originally broadcast. At first getting the news that the Supremes would re-unite on the show was so exiting to us fans. But after the show was taped, and before it was broadcast, we kept hearing all the gossip and drama about the re-union. After it was finally broadcast, I remember how disappointed I was that the actual re-union was cut to about one minute.

But yes, the montage before the "re-union" is terrific

My first experience for a montage of the Supremes was for the Diana Ross special “An Evening with Diana Ross”. I loved it. It was the first time I truly saw clips of the Supremes. It was actually much better than the Motown 25 montage. IMO.

Name:  sup red.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  10.0 KB

I love the clip of the ladies rushing from the dressing room and Diana trying frantically to zip up the gown...these dresses are my all time favourite

Wasn't that montage recycled in another Motown Special? Motown 60? Or the Hitsville documentary? I remember seeing it recently and thinking, that's the best they could do?

I thought the montage was great but like Milven, I was so disappointed that the reunion ended within seconds of starting. It’s hard for me to imagine that they couldn’t have come up with something more than they did. Could they not have fluffed it up with something in the studio or were relations so bad that it wasn’t possible?

Diana was a gigantic star at this time and even she said she got big headed for a while - and it was pretty clearly around this time. And Mary had seen her career after the Supremes tank and seemed like she was ready to do anything for attention.

I can't get enough of forum members sharing how they collected videos,bootlegs.music and memorabilia ..I find the personal stories fascinating..more please !

I can't get enough of forum members sharing how they collected videos,bootlegs.music and memorabilia ..I find the personal stories fascinating..more please !
    how's this one Nomis

in 96 or so i searched around and found a phone number for motown. i called them up and said i was doing research on motown and all and would be interested in obtaining copies of some of their television appearances. The person on the phone said they only had the handful of tv specials and didn't have access to other shows. it would be $100 per show so i bought TCB. it was stunning quality, especially given it being vhs. all of the commercials were still in place too lol

no idea if the person on the phone just pocketed the $100 or what. but i didn't care lol. still have the tape and it's quality is excellent to this day

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    how's this one Nomis

in 96 or so i searched around and found a phone number for motown. i called them up and said i was doing research on motown and all and would be interested in obtaining copies of some of their television appearances. The person on the phone said they only had the handful of tv specials and didn't have access to other shows. it would be $100 per show so i bought TCB. it was stunning quality, especially given it being vhs. all of the commercials were still in place too lol

no idea if the person on the phone just pocketed the $100 or what. but i didn't care lol. still have the tape and it's quality is excellent to this day
    I hope you have since converted that vhs to dvd. :-)

I had a similar experience with the Johnny Carson website. Many of his shows were in a temperature-controlled vault. If a copy still existed, they would make a vhs of it for $100. Ouch! Needless to say, my budget didn't allow me to do that often. I bought four episodes: Diana 1973, 1975, 1977, and Aretha in 1976. Not long after, they stopped doing this.

Myself, I was always a Diana/Supremes fan. But because I was so young, the only appearance of theirs that I had a memory of was their last Ed Sullivan appearance. I also remember seeing the 1970 Smokey Robinson special. Later, my mom let me stay up past my bedtime to watch DIANA! in 1971. A couple of months later, my grandmother bought me the soundtrack album.

The first extended Supremes footage I remember was the montage done for her 1977 TV special. I had assumed she would just sing a Supremes medley so I was totally surprised when they showed all of those clips. I thought it was probably the best thing I had ever seen. I had no ideas of beta or vhs at that time so the thought that I would see that show again wasn't even a possibility.

I didn't really get into obtaining videos and such until 1990. That was the year they had the Motorcity Records convention in Detroit. You could meet the stars recording for that label and between stars, they were also showing TCB, GIT ON BROADWAY, DIANA!, the Jackson 5's GOIN' BACK TO INDIANA, and the 1963 Motortown Revue at the Apollo on a big screen tv. For the first time, I was able to see all of these classic specials. I became friendly with some of the fans, a few of whom I am still in contact with. It was one of them who told me about all of this video he had and he was kind enough to share some with me. At the same time, dealers started putting ads in magazines like Goldmine. It became fun to finally see and collect all of these tv appearances. Sometimes the copies I received were less than stellar but they were great to have all the same.

YouTube has taken a bit out of the fun out of it. And I can only guess what it has done to the collectors' market.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I thought the montage was great but like Milven, I was so disappointed that the reunion ended within seconds of starting. It’s hard for me to imagine that they couldn’t have come up with something more than they did. Could they not have fluffed it up with something in the studio or were relations so bad that it wasn’t possible?

Diana was a gigantic star at this time and even she said she got big headed for a while - and it was pretty clearly around this time. And Mary had seen her career after the Supremes tank and seemed like she was ready to do anything for attention.
    Now, now ... we ALL know the red dress story from M25. Moving on ...

i think the issue was they had probably already edited together the montage. then they had to do something with the usable remnants of Someday. who knows what is even usable of the audio from the reunion. Diana stopped singing apparently, Mary was doing the lead. plus they had to make it appear seamless.

there had been SO much hype prior to the event that this would be a momentous evening with so many reunions and homecoming, culminating in the Sup reunion. so they were sort of stuck. they had to show SOMETHING even if it was the most anti climatic thing

And they kind of achieved the MOST anti climactic thing.

Still given this was Suzanne DePasse's show and she was friends with Diana and Berry, we would have to assume she did her very best.

And they kind of achieved the MOST anti climactic thing.

Still given this was Suzanne DePasse's show and she was friends with Diana and Berry, we would have to assume she did her very best.
    exactly. Motown was always super image sensitive. it would do no good to highlight the fracas that ensued. no comments, no acknowledgement. nothing

i think they made the right move. sure they could have taken advantage of a juicy moment and maybe seen a momentary blip in public interest and sales. but in the long run, maintaining the legacy of the stars and groups would ensure even longer sales and profit

I agree.

It's also why Diana and Berry say nothing. It tends to be the best policy.

Much like the Queen of England - she never has any comment.

Unrelated: several years ago I bought "An Evening With the Motown Sound" tour book off eBay [[hot pink with a spiral design on the cover).

I got chatty with the seller and he eluded that he had found boxes of Motown memorabilia abandoned; I can't recall where he said, but regardless when my package arrived it was filled with lots of extras: Motown letterhead, promotional fliers for several Motown artists; an entire envelope filled with goodies.

I did temp work thru the 90s at several record labels - and part of the deal of my employment was i could make copies from the various labels video archives..I worked at EMI alot but in my county [[New Zealand)..they didnt have much i didnt have ...I was able to copy a short interview with Diana in a limo the morning after taping the "I Will Survive" video she talks about jumping into the crowd twice at the taping and about LGBT community..the interview ends when the Limo stops at its destination and a guard outside of the building opens the door of the car
    I was also able to get lots of b/w promo photos for the "One Woman" album.an EPK cassette of her talking about making "Take Me Higher" album a poster on hardboard of the "diana" album and a few other bits and pieces

Reece that's some fan devotion! I remember buying a couple bootlegs from this guy that used to have a site on the net and was a poster on the Flo Ballard yahoo group called DavidLovesDiana. David Babcock was his real name I think. Anyway, I remember that it was like pulling teeth to get me to pay 20 bucks or so for a couple of cds, and here you and Sup were shoving out Benjamins for some VHS tapes each. No sir, I was not that big of a fan!

I forgot I did buy a Motown Shindig VHS tape in the mid 90s with the Supremes performing "Stop". I think the first bootleg I bought [[Supremes related) was the Flo Ballard sessions. I bought the cassette which had each of the official tracks that ended up on the official release plus some alternates of "My Heart" and "It Doesn't Matter" and the instrumental to "You Don't Have To". Imagine my level of pissed offness when I discovered that there are cds floating around that have even more alternates on them, such as "Everything Wonderful". If I can only get my hands on the complete thing!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Unrelated: several years ago I bought "An Evening With the Motown Sound" tour book off eBay [[hot pink with a spiral design on the cover).

I got chatty with the seller and he eluded that he had found boxes of Motown memorabilia abandoned; I can't recall where he said, but regardless when my package arrived it was filled with lots of extras: Motown letterhead, promotional fliers for several Motown artists; an entire envelope filled with goodies.
    Now that was a cool thing for the seller to do. Do you still have any of it?

Reece that's some fan devotion! I remember buying a couple bootlegs from this guy that used to have a site on the net and was a poster on the Flo Ballard yahoo group called DavidLovesDiana. David Babcock was his real name I think. Anyway, I remember that it was like pulling teeth to get me to pay 20 bucks or so for a couple of cds, and here you and Sup were shoving out Benjamins for some VHS tapes each. No sir, I was not that big of a fan!

I forgot I did buy a Motown Shindig VHS tape in the mid 90s with the Supremes performing "Stop". I think the first bootleg I bought [[Supremes related) was the Flo Ballard sessions. I bought the cassette which had each of the official tracks that ended up on the official release plus some alternates of "My Heart" and "It Doesn't Matter" and the instrumental to "You Don't Have To". Imagine my level of pissed offness when I discovered that there are cds floating around that have even more alternates on them, such as "Everything Wonderful". If I can only get my hands on the complete thing!
    Ranran i feel like you're living the same life as me lol. I bought that Shindig video too and was so excited because it was the first footage of the Supremes that I owned and could watch over and over again. And then I also got in touch with David through the yahoo groups. He had all the goods and sometimes he'd hook me up for free. Last I heard he unfortunately passed sometime in the early 2000s. I also remember I received the Copa 67 show from him and I was so excited but also mortified at how bad they sounded lol [[and I still stand by that--of course now I realize that Diana was sick)

there was one Supremes bootleg once mentioned on this site that included the ladies being interviewed by Bob Newhart on a tv show ..has anyone got any more info about that ?

there was one Supremes bootleg once mentioned on this site that included the ladies being interviewed by Bob Newhart on a tv show ..has anyone got any more info about that ?
    That was THE TONIGHT SHOW in 1966. Bob Newhart was guest host for Johnny Carson and the Supremes were guests.

The early episodes of the TONIGHT SHOW were telecast from NYC. They were recorded but taped over with newer episodes [[I guess to economize on tape] It would be great if anyone who had a bootleg or kinescope copy of this show, would post it on YouTube.
    Last edited by milven; 04-23-2021 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Ranran i feel like you're living the same life as me lol. I bought that Shindig video too and was so excited because it was the first footage of the Supremes that I owned and could watch over and over again. And then I also got in touch with David through the yahoo groups. He had all the goods and sometimes he'd hook me up for free. Last I heard he unfortunately passed sometime in the early 2000s. I also remember I received the Copa 67 show from him and I was so excited but also mortified at how bad they sounded lol [[and I still stand by that--of course now I realize that Diana was sick)
    Yeah, I did learn at some point that David had passed away. He was a really nice guy. I still have a greeting card he sent. I bought the Copa 67 show from David also and promptly returned it. David had "People" listed on it, which is the only reason I bought it. I was pissed as I played it and not once did "People" come on. David offered to accept it back and send me something else in return. Can't remember what I replaced it with. Looking back, I think David had the 66 Roostertail track list and the Copa 67 audio mixed up. He had a lot of stuff.

If I remember correctly, the first VHS Supremes performances I had were from a guy named Mark who used to frequent the Flo Ballard group. He filled up a six hour VHS tape with nothing but Supremes performances, most of which can now be found on Youtube, including the full TCB and every single Sullivan performance, except Jean's debut. I still have the tape in a box, somewhere.

There used to be a lot of good will among Supremes fans then. There was some nastiness with the different fan camps, particularly the usual Diana fans vs Mary fans, but I don't recall things ever being as nasty as it has often been around here. Or maybe I'm looking back with my rose colored glasses on.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    That was THE TONIGHT SHOW in 1966. Bob Newhart was guest host for Johnny Carson and the Supremes were guests.

The early episodes of the TONIGHT SHOW were telecast from NYC. They were recorded but taped over with newer episodes [[I guess to economize on tape] It would be great if anyone who had a bootleg or kinescope copy of this show, would post it on YouTube.
    Thanks milven we have so little information on the supremes appearances on the tonight show besides the '67 and ' 68 ones..one of the biggest mysteries to me is the final drats appearance on tonight a couple of days before sullivan..what did they sing ? We're they interviewed..not even one photo is known to exist..the Truth is out there..

Yeah, I did learn at some point that David had passed away. He was a really nice guy. I still have a greeting card he sent. I bought the Copa 67 show from David also and promptly returned it. David had "People" listed on it, which is the only reason I bought it. I was pissed as I played it and not once did "People" come on. David offered to accept it back and send me something else in return. Can't remember what I replaced it with. Looking back, I think David had the 66 Roostertail track list and the Copa 67 audio mixed up. He had a lot of stuff.

If I remember correctly, the first VHS Supremes performances I had were from a guy named Mark who used to frequent the Flo Ballard group. He filled up a six hour VHS tape with nothing but Supremes performances, most of which can now be found on Youtube, including the full TCB and every single Sullivan performance, except Jean's debut. I still have the tape in a box, somewhere.

There used to be a lot of good will among Supremes fans then. There was some nastiness with the different fan camps, particularly the usual Diana fans vs Mary fans, but I don't recall things ever being as nasty as it has often been around here. Or maybe I'm looking back with my rose colored glasses on.
    for a while there was some mix up with fans regarding the Roostertail album. motown had planned a live lp release but had reused some of the tracks from Cope 65. like Tonight, WDOLG, nothing but heartaches. that track listing was assumed to be all new songs from the show and so people used that until we got these more recent EE releases

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    for a while there was some mix up with fans regarding the Roostertail album. motown had planned a live lp release but had reused some of the tracks from Cope 65. like Tonight, WDOLG, nothing but heartaches. that track listing was assumed to be all new songs from the show and so people used that until we got these more recent EE releases
    I received a copy of the supposedly Roostertail 1966 live album when I joined one of Diana's fan clubs. As much as I love the girls, I thought it was rather dry with so many songs not included. Of course, now I know that is because they were trying to have different content from the Copa album.

Even J. Randy was confused. In CALL HER MISS ROSS, he mentioned that the girls had a new opening number for their Roostertail, TONIGHT. Which we all know now was actually recorded at the Copa. I gather he had a copy of the same bootleg that the rest of us did.