[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Love is All That matters A gem

I woke this morning feeling down and blue. I don't know why I felt that way but I did. I put on Every Day is a New day and the song Love is all That matters came on. I started to feel better. I put in on non stop repeat. I reached for a copy of Secrets of a Sparrow and looked at pictures of Diana Ross and I listened to her sing Love is All That Mattters. Her voice, the beautiful inspiring lyrics, the love and magic of her pictures swept over me. My blues were swept away. Thank you Miss Ross for your inspiring and uplifting music.

Missed opportunity that they did not ever release the version with Brandy

I'm glad Brandy isn't on this song. Diana Ross doesn't need no Brandy. Diana Ross is the voice of the heart, the voice of love. There's no other singer who can deliver the uplifting message of Love is All that matters like Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I'm glad Brandy isn't on this song. Diana Ross doesn't need no Brandy. Diana Ross is the voice of the heart, the voice of love. There's no other singer who can deliver the uplifting message of Love is All that matters like Diana Ross.
    Where did I say she NEEDED Brandy? I said it was a missed opportunity that they did not release the song. It's the version that plays at the end of the film they did. What sense did that make for them to get Brandy on the song and not release it?

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    Missed opportunity that they did not ever release the version with Brandy
    Brandy's mother blocked the proposed duet single. That woman was an absolute nightmare to deal with. Everyone except her thought it to be a good idea including Brandy herself who was also a nightmare to work with, yet she was an absolute pussycat in comparison to her delightful mother!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Brandy's mother blocked the proposed duet single. That woman was an absolute nightmare to deal with. Everyone except her thought it to be a good idea including Brandy herself who was also a nightmare to work with, yet she was an absolute pussycat in comparison to her delightful mother!
    Why?!?! Is it because she had an album out at the same time? Brandy was a nightmare to work with on the set of the film?????

Why?!?! Is it because she had an album out at the same time? Brandy was a nightmare to work with on the set of the film?????
    I cannot recall the exact details. Perhaps it did clash with another Brandy single. Yes she was very difficult on set but the producers put most of the blame on her mother who constantly interfered on the set.
    Perhaps Brandy's unprofessional behaviour could be put down to her age. Or perhaps not.

I cannot recall the exact details. Perhaps it did clash with another Brandy single. Yes she was very difficult on set but the producers put most of the blame on her mother who constantly interfered on the set.
    Perhaps Brandy's unprofessional behaviour could be put down to her age. Or perhaps not.
    You have no idea how sad this makes me 😪

I remember reading Brandy’s mother was upset that the song would feature on Diana’s new album, timed with the release of Double Platinum, while Brandy was still promoting her previous CD. Seems petty to me—if the song was successful both artists would have benefitted...

I don’t like the duet version.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I don’t like the duet version.
    Neither do i. I am not a fan of Brandy in any shape or form.

Neither do i. I am not a fan of Brandy in any shape or form.
    I was surprised upon listened to Every Day Is A New Day that the duet I’d heard announced from various entertainment shows was not included. Diana’s CD was released a couple weeks prior to the Double Platinum premiere, so I still expected a duet version to surface once the movie aired, especially after the two performed together on Oprah. I prefer the solo, but thought the duet would be a strong single release...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I was surprised upon listened to Every Day Is A New Day that the duet I’d heard announced from various entertainment shows was not included. Diana’s CD was released a couple weeks prior to the Double Platinum premiere, so I still expected a duet version to surface once the movie aired, especially after the two performed together on Oprah. I prefer the solo, but thought the duet would be a strong single release...
    I think it would have been great had the duet version been released. But upon reflection, I do understand Sonja Norwood's [[Brandy's mom) perspective.

This was around the time that US record companies stopped releasing commercial singles, forcing consumers to buy an entire cd if there was a track they really liked. Having the track included on Diana's EVERY DAY IS A NEW DAY cd would have a been a big winfall for her since that would be the the only place the track was available. By comparison, Brandy would have received her royalties for that one track but it wouldn't have helped her album since it had been released the year before.

Now this is all conjecture. Maybe the parties could have agreed to release it as a commercial single from which they both would benefit. But considering EDIAND was Diana's first album without a single release, it is probably doubtful.

I found Brandy quite irritating when they performed the song live on Oprah. I thought she was a little over the top in trying to appear young and cute with all that bouncing around. On Diana’s solo part of the song she sings to loudly, almost drowning Diana out as opposed to supporting her.
    She was given some solid songs to perform in the film though. Perhaps better then Diana’s?.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I found Brandy quite irritating when they performed the song live on Oprah. I thought she was a little over the top in trying to appear young and cute with all that bouncing around. On Diana’s solo part of the song she sings to loudly, almost drowning Diana out as opposed to supporting her.
    She was given some solid songs to perform in the film though. Perhaps better then Diana’s?.
    I love The Oprah performance ! somehow i was able to download the version when limewire was working [[Im terrible with technology so big ups to me for being able to manage this !!)
    I dont mind Brandi's vocal on that performance..i love how she says "sing with me' to Diana when shes about to start and the "Thank You Miss Ross" at the end...I cant watch the movie thou i thought it was awful ! apart from the music bits its a Titanic !

I agree. On Oprah, Brandy was oversinging to the point of being irritating. I enjoy their performance in the tv movie much better.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I agree. On Oprah, Brandy was oversinging to the point of being irritating. I enjoy their performance in the tv movie much better.
    Diana held her own vocally in the Oprah performance..

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I love The Oprah performance ! somehow i was able to download the version when limewire was working [[Im terrible with technology so big ups to me for being able to manage this !!)
    I dont mind Brandi's vocal on that performance..i love how she says "sing with me' to Diana when shes about to start and the "Thank You Miss Ross" at the end...I cant watch the movie thou i thought it was awful ! apart from the music bits its a Titanic !
    I love the film even though I do think it was beneath miss Ross. This is not the way I want her to go out. That is why I need one more movie from her.

I love the film even though I do think it was beneath miss Ross. This is not the way I want her to go out. That is why I need one more movie from her.
    the plot is sooo unbelievable !!

[QUOTE=nomis;621084]the plot is sooo unbelievable !![/QUOTE

Re: The Plot

The biggest plot hole for me is this question—why did no one in the lives of Brandy’s character and her father EVER mention that Olivia was now Olivia King, recording icon? She is portrayed as a huge star; no one ever said a word to baby Kayla as her mom’s career took off? Kayla’s maternal extended family? Her bitter father? Friends of the family? No one?

[QUOTE=JohnnyB;621092]
    the plot is sooo unbelievable !![/QUOTE

The biggest plot hole for me is this question—why did no one in the lives of Brandy’s character and her father EVER mention that Olivia was now Olivia King, recording icon? She is portrayed as a huge star; no one ever said a word to baby Kayla as her mom’s career took off? Kayla’s maternal extended family? Her bitter father? Friends of the family? No one?
    i know right..she went from "Out Of Darkness" to this hot mess

[QUOTE=JohnnyB;621092]
    the plot is sooo unbelievable !![/QUOTE

I can find a response for that! Since the story is that the mother took off, he did not speak to her side of the family. Kayla certainly is not going to go looking for that side, so she took her dad's word for it that Olivia did not want her around and just stuck with his side of the family. Now, his family, and the neighbors and the neighborhood, would adhere to his wishes and NOT bring up Olivia King to his daughter. He did everything he could to make sure Olivia would not come strolling back into their lives, so he was workin' Overtime, hahah, to ensure that everyone knew he did not want Olivia mentioned at all. It'd easy to suspend that belief!

Why hasn't Out of Darkness been released in DVD in the United States??

Why hasn't Out of Darkness been released in DVD in the United States??
    I don't know about a u.s release but I have seen the dvd for sale on ebay in the last few weeks..

My favorite part of that Oprah show was when Brandy earnestly [but playfully] asked if she could play Ross in a movie about her life. Ross responded in a pointedly non-committal manner [not playfully] when she said something like "we'll see..."

It was clear to me that the 'lovefest' between the two was mostly an act. The movie was terrible I watched it once 20+ years ago and that was enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    My favorite part of that Oprah show was when Brandy earnestly [but playfully] asked if she could play Ross in a movie about her life. Ross responded in a pointedly non-committal manner [not playfully] when she said something like "we'll see..."

It was clear to me that the 'lovefest' between the two was mostly an act. The movie was terrible I watched it once 20+ years ago and that was enough.
    It was pretty dire really. She did not enjoy the experience and i would go so far to say that i would have a better chance of playing Ms Ross than Brandy ever would in any authorised biopic!

Bottom line being the film is schlock.The script is weak and it looks and sounds like there was a lot of improvising going on. For me It’s only made special by Diana performing her songs.
    Like you Guy, i last watched it many moons ago and have never really felt the urge to see it again.
    I would have altered the script, having Olivia run off with Kayla’s manager. As they cruise down the freeway together, “Got To Be Free” would be playing on the car radio. Cue end credits.

It was pretty dire really. She did not enjoy the experience and i would go so far to say that i would have a better chance of playing Ms Ross than Brandy ever would in any authorised biopic!
    Did she not like the hours of filming, or was it all because of Brandy's mom??

Did she not like the hours of filming, or was it all because of Brandy's mom??
    Much more the latter than the former. Whatever anyone's opinion may be of Diana Ross you cannot fault her work ethic. I have seen her work almost constantly for up to 14 hours.

Tedious, preachy, and dull. That is how I would describe Love is All That Matters. IMHO, it had a snowball’s chance in hell of being a hit.

Much more the latter than the former. Whatever anyone's opinion may be of Diana Ross you cannot fault her work ethic. I have seen her work almost constantly for up to 14 hours.
    So have most of us and everyone else who is successful.

This song is more than a gem It is the meaning of the voice that we call Diana Ross just listen to this it is unbelievable better than all the wine you can drink in the world her voice is one of a kind there will never be another Diana Ross

Pass me the champagne.

...i would go so far to say that i would have a better chance of playing Ms Ross than Brandy ever would in any authorised biopic!
    LOL! That's funny and entirely true.

However, in fairness to the now completely irrelevant Ms. Norwood, I think Ross would take issue with being portrayed by any actress that did not arrive in this world via her womb.

However, in fairness to the now completely irrelevant Ms. Norwood, I think Ross would take issue with being portrayed by any actress that did not arrive in this world via her womb.
    There has been regular interest in a biopic for the past 20 years or so, but there is no way a balanced account will ever see the light of day until Ms Ross is no longer with us. Interest has intensified over the past few years with the success of the Freddie Mercury and Elton John biopics, but it ain't going to happen anytime soon.

Ross and Diana share very similar bone structure.

As I recall, Suzanne de Passe wanted Rhonda to portray her mother in the Temptations miniseries but Rhonda didn't want to and chose to portray Paul Williams' wife instead.

There has been regular interest in a biopic for the past 20 years or so, but there is no way a balanced account will ever see the light of day until Ms Ross is no longer with us. Interest has intensified over the past few years with the success of the Freddie Mercury and Elton John biopics, but it ain't going to happen anytime soon.
    It is interesting to hear there is even interest in her biopic. In Hollywood, unless there is some dimension of profound tragedy, trauma or hardship to explore [[exploit!) -- Billie, Aretha, Tina, Whitney, Bessie -- there is usually little interest in telling the stories of Black female entertainers.

I can't imagine Ross would be at all interested in having her life dramatized in that way, and I can't blame her. Besides, I think the majority culture believes that "Dreamgirls" is the most interesting aspect of the Ross story.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    As I recall, Suzanne de Passe wanted Rhonda to portray her mother in the Temptations miniseries but Rhonda didn't want to and chose to portray Paul Williams' wife instead.
    Bianca Lawson -- a Gordy -- looked remarkably like a young Ross. That was a good casting choice.

I wonder if Diana would be interested in doing a special like the one Tina did for HBO.