[REMOVE ADS]

Secrets of a Sparrow--my favorite book about Diana Ross and Motown

I know some people don't like Secrets of a sparrow because it wasn't a trashy tell all book, but I love the book. It's one of my favorite books ever. I own 3 copies and the audiobook. I have a copy in each room of my apartment so I can grab a copy when my spirit, my heart, my soul needs a boost from the voice of love, the voice of the heart Miss Diana Ross. I can lose myself for hours reading her words written with great love and looking at the pictures. The pictures of Miss Ross. Magical just magical. And the audio book. Her voice is just as magical speaking as it is singing. Miss Diana Ross is a gift from God. The world would be a better place, a place of love, if we can all strive to be like Diana Ross.

I loved the book and thought it was plenty trashy

The audio version is more focused, cohesive. They focused on content that has substance and the result was great. And listening to Diana is always a pleasure. The printed version is scattered and chaotic, with some very superficial passages. But, on the whole, what Diana wanted to convey is that a star of her caliber suffers immense pressure and anxiety. And that things that seem simple to the public are quite difficult in a more intimate setting. The whole book is her expressing how much she suffers from loneliness and anxiety. But she tries to circumvent the difficulties based on the pleasure of performing live for her audiences and the family relationships that nourish her and keep her moving forward.

Big Diana Ross fan here. My problem with the book as Nitro2015 stated, "The printed version is scattered and chaotic,..." I could never really understand if she was organizing her thoughts chronologically or by particular emotions. To me, most of the content just jumped around to random anecdotes. I do like the audio version except the parts where her voice is processed with reverb as if she's in a cave. Maybe that was for the effect. I was able to gather that she was indeed trying to make a connection between her professional life and her private life with her family.

I wish Diana would have provided more specific memories like a fun touring experience she had with Flo and Mary. I do like she told her side of how she handled the stress of the Supremes. She discussed Flo a lot but she was very back and forth with her feelings about her. I got the sense that she still was resentful towards Flo for how she nearly sabotaged the group.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I wish Diana would have provided more specific memories like a fun touring experience she had with Flo and Mary. I do like she told her side of how she handled the stress of the Supremes. She discussed Flo a lot but she was very back and forth with her feelings about her. I got the sense that she still was resentful towards Flo for how she nearly sabotaged the group.
    Flo didnt sabotage the group..the relentless schedule did

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Flo didnt sabotage the group..the relentless schedule did
    I'm probably not wording it right but I think like Mary, Diana was frustrated Flo couldn't just suck it up like the two of them did. But I agree they were worked to death and they really should have taken more than just a few weeks off after Diana collapsed on stage in '66.

I'm probably not wording it right but I think like Mary, Diana was frustrated Flo couldn't just suck it up like the two of them did. But I agree they were worked to death and they really should have taken more than just a few weeks off after Diana collapsed on stage in '66.
    its sounds bizarre by the world we live in today But Diana,Mary & Flo didnt discuss their feelings and what was going on with each other..they didnt discuss Flo's rape or drinking,Diana as the lead or her relationship with Berry..or her eating disorder.,,or their financial situation with Motown..if or when Diana would go solo...it was all bottled up between them no wonder things got so tense
    Last edited by nomis; 04-18-2021 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    its sounds bizarre by the world we live in today But Diana,Mary & Flo didnt discuss their feelings and what was going on with each other..they didnt discuss Flo's rape or drinking,Diana as the lead or her relationship with Berry..or her eating disorder.,,or their financial situation with Motown..if or when Diana would go solo...it was all bottled up between them no wonder things got so tense
    You're right. I've always said half of the problems in the group were because they had horrible communication with each other, Diana and Mary especially. And that horrible communication continued for years and years. Can you imagine how much would have been solved if the three of them just actually sat down and spoke honestly with each other?

You're right. I've always said half of the problems in the group were because they had horrible communication with each other, Diana and Mary especially. And that horrible communication continued for years and years. Can you imagine how much would have been solved if the three of them just actually sat down and spoke honestly with each other?
    Amen...if they were not on stage they were taping tv or recording endless songs... interviews in print or radio... photo shoots,rehersals..fittings.. and a hell of alot of travelling to get everything done and - if they went to a party or nightclub they were mobbed...there was just no time for them to sit and have silence, relax discuss. chill and tell each other what was going on....
    Last edited by nomis; 04-18-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I loved the book and thought it was plenty trashy
    Diana Ross is spreading an uplifting message of love and personal growth and finding the strength and positivity to overcome life's obstacles in her book. How is that trashy? I don't think it's trashy. I think it's inspiring. This is upsetting me. I better log off the internet for the night and sit down and breathe and meditate and visualize something positive.

My hang-up with the book is superficial - the cover photo is less sparrow and more sex kitten! I don’t think that kind of aesthetic disconnect helped the book much...

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    My hang-up with the book is superficial - the cover photo is less sparrow and more sex kitten! I don’t think that kind of aesthetic disconnect helped the book much...

Has she ever defended her choice of it?

I'm trying to think what bird that picture better portrays.... horned owl?...sap sucker??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

I'm trying to think what bird that picture better portrays.... horned owl?...sap sucker??
    Ha! Maybe a titmouse? It’s a real bird, after all!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tufted_titmouse

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

A feathered cape would have made the world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    A feathered cape would have made the world of difference.
    Words to live by in this and any situation!

I actually like the photo. I remember when it was first published in Rolling Stone. That said, I was surprised when I saw it used as the cover for the boxed set and the book. I was expecting maybe a classic photo from her Skrebneski sessions but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Words to live by in this and any situation!
    Never a truer word spoken.

How do you think Diana Ross would feel if teleported to the surface of Venus? Flushed? Bored? Not so fresh?

How do you think Diana Ross would feel if teleported to the surface of Venus? Flushed? Bored? Not so fresh?
    I’m guessing a combination of all three Bobby. I wish there were a way of knowing for sure.

I wish Diana would have went into more detail about her time with Tony Turner. She could have turned it into an etiquette book, with chapters like "Scorned By Society" and talked about how she shoo'ed him out into the hotel hallway with hot pizza cheese dripping down his arm, or "Living From Shame To Fame" and talked about how she schooled him that you do not call it the Sherry Netherland, you simply call it "The Sherry". Those are the stories I want to hear about, not how she collected hankies from across the globe to make a wedding dress.

Hee hee!! Well since so many people project so much on DR I just thought I'd get in on the action. I guess we'll never know for sure about the Venus thing.

Mary Brewster--you left out the best part of that story! "YOU HAVE NO CLASS WHATSOEVER!!!"God I love that book.

Mary Brewster--you left out the best part of that story! "YOU HAVE NO CLASS WHATSOEVER!!!"God I love that book.
    I thought it was a hoot !.. "Suzanne WHERE is my lemon and honey ??"...

Nomis--did you read his book Deliver Us From Temptations? It's really funny too. "oh Berry, Suzanne is just a bundle of energy, always into things, You must be THRILLED!!" The minute Barry was gone "Suzzane WHERE is my honey and lemon!!"

Nomis--did you read his book Deliver Us From Temptations? It's really funny too. "oh Berry, Suzanne is just a bundle of energy, always into things, You must be THRILLED!!" The minute Barry was gone "Suzzane WHERE is my honey and lemon!!"
    Bobby C - yes ive read Deliver Us From Temptations several times..Martha snatching the money on the table over the debate to do the second show..very funny

Heee! "I see Martha has managed to squeeze her wide
    behind into those filthy sweatpants"

You have to admit, Tony Turner gave us what we wanted: DISH! 90% of it is pure fantasy, but the quotes will live on forever! JEAN! YOU'RE A BIG GIRL! LOL.

"Consider your waistline!!!" LOL!!

"Consider your waistline!!!" LOL!!
    These quotes are making me want to reread All That Glittered. I wish it was available as an audiobook, it would be hilarious!

" Diana Ross uses her feminine wiles around Motown like a magic wand!"