[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Supremes

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Speaking of Mary's "Christmas Song" what happened to it?
    my understanding is that Mary only recorded a rehearsal take of the song. for whatever reason they didn't record a "full" version. my guess is that a rehearsal take of the song would be performed by the singer at partial performance level. they might be testing things out, experimenting, working through the arrangement, etc. Saying the singing is only singing at partial level is by no means a knock to the singer. You have to preserve your voice and can't risk damaging it through over use. that's why they might only half sing or commit to the performance.

as such there might be entrances that aren't perfect, pitch issues. again they're just testing out the piece.

if that's all we have, kudos to Mary. I think the ending at 1:41 where Mary sings "Merry Christmas" is one of the most beautiful phrases Mary ever committed to vinyl. She hits the note perfectly, opens up the vowel and just caresses the lyric. it's magical even if only a brief passage.

and she was only 21 at the time.

so i'm thrilled we got this selection out. they might have done it as a duet in order to edit out bits that were "rehearsal level"

This is all just my speculation as i've never heard the entire Mary version

Thanks Andy for the clarification - I never took the interview as Diana haven't the key to unlock anything. I did not like a couple of questions that was asked of Mary's daughter and I felt he was digging but Turkessa handled them very well. I think its ironic that Mary's CD gets released and I believe she was pregnant with Turkessa. As far as recordings in the vault there may be a couple of things we have not heard but I would think there are a lot of live recordings that have not surfaced yet.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Thanks Andy for the clarification - I never took the interview as Diana haven't the key to unlock anything. I did not like a couple of questions that was asked of Mary's daughter and I felt he was digging but Turkessa handled them very well. I think its ironic that Mary's CD gets released and I believe she was pregnant with Turkessa. As far as recordings in the vault there may be a couple of things we have not heard but I would think there are a lot of live recordings that have not surfaced yet.
    Turkessa was "in the oven" on The Supremes [1975] cover; Rafi was her Mary Wilson [1979] pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    I was told I’ve been summoned.

“Calling Dr. Bombay! Calling Dr. Bombay! Emergency, come right away!” Well here I am. Perhaps more like Uncle Arthur, and hopefully not like Aunt Clara. [[For those of you who know those Bewitched references).

Everyone who contributed to this thread thank you and we appreciate your continued support.

Several points to address, but I think I can clarify:

The Entertainment Tonight piece was misinterpreted. If you watch the video, Turkessa explains that there are unreleased recordings in the vault. Kevin Frazier asks if Diana wants this music out. Here is the clip:

https://www.etonline.com/mary-wilson...R150iespzXhhAc

Most artists do not control their music. The record companies do. We’ve always reached out to Diana and Mary, both as a courtesy, and for their involvement and input. They were both pleased with our work, as were the many writers and producers we have also involved, from HDH, to Deke Richards, to Smokey, to Valerie Simpson, and even to Mr. Gordy.

Miss Ross has recorded so many songs, many heard only when she was rehearsing them, and then in the studio, that it’s understandable that she would not remember them all. That’s what we are here for. The artists entrust vault and A&R personnel to handle their catalogs.

FloyJoy and Copley, you are both partially correct, I did say in the Lost & Found that there wasn’t that much left I the vault, but that was in comparison to the massive list in the back of the booklet. Fans would repeatedly ask about those songs, and we wanted to let the fans know that they did not have Supremes vocals on them. That said, I think we still have enough surprises left to keep all of the Supremes, Diana Ross, and Mary Wilson fans happy!

Please rest assured all of the master tapes are well organized, and safe in the vault, and that George Solomon and have have collectively touched most of them over the last 35 years. [[We were only two when we started. &#128521

After You, I understand you are new here. Welcome to the boards. Sorry, I don’t spend too much time on SDF, although I do love Ralph and all the fans here. Do you follow our Diana Ross & The Supremes Expanded Editions page on Facebook? You can find out about those releases with unreleased bonus tracks over there as well, and be up to date on new releases when they come.

We have done over 30 Expanded Editions and hits packages, with over 500 previously unreleased songs and mixes on Miss Ross/Supremes alone! That’s more than virtually any artist’s back catalog other than possibly Elvis Presley! If you don’t already have these sets, I hope you will seek them out.

We have more to come, hopefully very soon. We always want to make sure the ladies we love, and the fans who buy them, will be happy with our work, and so far, we’ve done that. We hope you will be happy with them too. They are always done with tremendous love, and respect.
    Andy, you and George do an amazing job and I think you for all of the music youve gotten released. I also love the way you truly love each lady and always speak so fondly about all of them and with such respect. Keep on keeping on and themn that are never satisfied well there never gonna be satisfied but you and George have my respect and my love and my gratitude.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta