[REMOVE ADS]

Wish for Songbook Album.

I wish Diana Ross would record The Ella Fitzgerald Songbook. To prove this winning combination, compare Ella's "Them There Eyes" to Diana's. Diana also knows how to sing swing jazz!

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I wish Diana Ross would record The Ella Fitzgerald Songbook. To prove this winning combination, compare Ella's "Them There Eyes" to Diana's. Diana also knows how to sing swing jazz!
    It could never be as good as Ella. These are watershed recordings that can never be equalled. I don't think Ms Ross would even consider undertaking such a project.
    If she were to do a jazz album it would be best to not limit herself to those iconic recordings. There is lots of material to choose from, but i don't see that happening.

Diana would do an amazing spectacular job recording a Ella album She’s one Of her idols I can just see her putting her whole mind and soul into recording this it will be grand

I don't know about a concept album of just Ella, but I would definitely love another Jazz album. I wish they could have released Blue after LSTB so Miss Ross' jazz songs could have been a bit more known to the general public.

The songbook I would love to hear Diana record would be Stevie Wonder. Second, Smokey.

I would love her to do a Whitney songbook a lot of those songs could of been penned for her

I think Diana Ross should do a Michael Jackson songbook album. He did a lot of positive songs of uplift and inspiration like Man in the Mirror, Heal the World, and We are the World. Diana could sing a duet with Evan on I'll Be There. She could do a duet with Paul McCartney on Say Say Say. You Are Not Alone, Human Nature, I Can't Help It and I Can't Stop Loving You can be the love songs. I don't like it much when she sings sad songs but she could do He's Out of My Life. And for something fun she could do a remake of Eaten Alive or Centipede. I just know Diana singing Michael Jackson would be a great album full of love and magic.

The one I'd like is a Bee Gees songbook. She could do 70s to 90s. I'd love most of all You Win Again and Secret Love. Perhaps she could do new recordings of Eaten Alive with better production than certain tracks appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    The one I'd like is a Bee Gees songbook. She could do 70s to 90s. I'd love most of all You Win Again and Secret Love. Perhaps she could do new recordings of Eaten Alive with better production than certain tracks appeared.
    Barry proposed that offer to her a few years ago. She did not return his calls. I think it could have worked if the correct songs were selected. Secret Love is basically Chain Reaction part 2 so that one would be a good choice. Bàrry did not give up on the idea. Ms Streisand also renaged on the idea so Barry decided to re-record some songs himself and bring in guest artists to duet with him in a Country style.
    Further volumes are planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It could never be as good as Ella. These are watershed recordings that can never be equalled. I don't think Ms Ross would even consider undertaking such a project.
    If she were to do a jazz album it would be best to not limit herself to those iconic recordings. There is lots of material to choose from, but i don't see that happening.
    I'll have to respectfully disagree. Is the purpose for a cover of another artist's work to produce something to excel the original artist's output? There are so many artists and their recordings which can never be equalled; however, in my opinion, I don't believe that should stop an artist, especially the with the calibre of Diana Ross, from presenting their particular style and artistry of a work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    agreed. Ella songbook recordings are a cornerstone of American music. her Porgy and Bess album with Louis Armstrong is used by conservatories in their music classes.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I'll have to respectfully disagree. Is the purpose for a cover of another artist's work to produce something to excel the original artist's output? There are so many artists and their recordings which can never be equalled; however, in my opinion, I don't believe that should stop an artist, especially the with the calibre of Diana Ross, from presenting their particular style and artistry of a work.
    in the ideal sense, doing a cover is meant to take a beloved song from another artist and reinterpret it as your own. or perhaps an overlooked gem and give it new life

Diana did this beautifully with the Billie Holiday material

one reason why is that many of the Holiday songs and performances were jazz but also very melodic. Billie didn't scat or improvise like Ella did. If you listen to Mr Paganini or A Tisket by Ella, part of her magic was her improvisational skills. that's not really Diana's forte that we've seen so those songs might be a bit challenging for a cover

Much of Ella's most popular works have been her glorious songbook series, where she paid tribute to different american composers. I've always believed this was the inspiration for the Supremes Sing R&H. Diana could do one of these but then that wouldn't be an Ella cover but rather Diana singing the Gershwin songbook or Cole Porter or whomever.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    And of course you are fully entitled to your opinion. My main concern is how well could she handle the songs these days? Ella was at her vocal peak during those sessions, and much as we love Ms Ross she is way past her peak vocally. I just don't want to listen to her renditions and then wish i hadn't bothered. If she is to record a jazz album [[ and i do think she is capable) it would be better to have a more varied reportoire rather than trying to compete with Ella's definitive recordings.

I would Diana to record with Barry again but honestly , if she didn't return my calls...I d b like see ya. Just my opinion.
    I would expect better from Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I would Diana to record with Barry again but honestly , if she didn't return my calls...I d b like see ya. Just my opinion.
    I would expect better from Ross.
    It was incredibly rude of her. Barry deserved better treatment.

i wish,.... they did some good tunes together,
    i love More and More and Im Watching You
    will go have a listen right now. not sure if but it would be nice if diana were to record an album with many of her former producers ,including Val Simpson