[REMOVE ADS]

Malaco Records: An inside look at 'The Last Soul Company'

Bob Mehr

For over half a century Jackson, Mississippi-based label Malaco Records has been an undeniable force in Black music. With a roster of R&B kings [[Little Milton, Bobby “Blue” Bland), soul-blues masters [[Johnnie Taylor, Denise LaSalle) and gospel greats [[The Jackson Southernaires, The Soul Stirrers), Malaco’s catalog has been an essential repository of African American musical history — and continues to connect with contemporary audiences via high-profile hip-hop samples by artists like Drake and Kanye West.

And yet, outside of a small fiercely loyal fanbase and a handful of music aficionados, the label remains relatively unknown in the wider world. A new illustrated book, titled “The Last Soul Company: The Story of Malaco Records,” seeks to give the label its proper due.

“When I tell people Malaco has been around for 50 years, when I tell them it’s the longest-running independent label in American music history, and it’s the world’s biggest Black gospel label, they’re like, ‘Really?’” says Rob Bowman, author of “The Last Soul Company.”

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ks/4735772001/

Hi!

Rob Bowman wrote one of best music books I've read: Soulsville, U.S.A., which is the story of the Stax Records out of Memphis. Rob also wrote a 110-page book to accompany the 6-CD Malaco box also called The Last Soul Company in 1999, which I think is the genesis of this new book.

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

Rob Bowman wrote one of best music books I've read: Soulsville, U.S.A., which is the story of the Stax Records out of Memphis. Rob also wrote a 110-page book to accompany the 6-CD Malaco box also called The Last Soul Company in 1999, which I think is the genesis of this new book.

Best regards
    Heikki
    I'll second that. Soulsville was a very good book. I'm looking forward to reading this but
    I'm having a little trouble with books these days because I didn't really want to buy anymore books. I'd prefer to check them out of the library which is now more limited
    in their purchases and distributions. They did pick up the Denise Lasalle book but only
    sent the 2 copies to research branches. Not exactly easy access at this time. They don't
    have this book in the system yet from what I can tell. Woosah..........