[REMOVE ADS]

Now that Mary is no longer with us

Now that Mary Wilson is no longer with us, I was wondering who will carry on and protect the Supremes legacy. I know there are many hardcore fans who will do what they can but we are all limited by not being in show business or connected to the media. The former Supremes? Cindy has been ill for some time and is not in the public eye. Her health is her focus and rightfully so, she is so loved. Jean was never one to really promote the group and she has retired from show business. I don't see her working to promote the group's legacy after so many years of silence. Diana left the promotion of the group to Mary. She rightfully has a solo career she can focus on and promote and preserve, even though the Supremes was an extremely huge part of who she became I do not see her bothering about preserving or promoting the legacy. Lynda has retired and was in the group a short time, I don't see how she could or even if she had any interest. Scherrie and Susaye tour as the Former Ladies of the Supremes and they both are talented but the mass public is not as aware of them as they were of Mary, Diana, Flo, Cindy and Jean. Plus, Susaye has even had the group record songs she wrote to keep them with some contemporary legitimacy. I honestly feel no one will keep the Supremes alive and in the public eye as Mary Wilson did, it is beyond such a shame since this is the 60th Anniversary. So much that could be done, that I don't see being accomplished now that Mary is no longer with us.

I was so sad and depressed when Mary died and I realize now a huge part of why is because the Supremes died with her. The Supremed have played such a huge part in my life that its so upsetting to me that their legacy will go out in a whimper. It should not have turned out this way especially with how big they were. I do get annoyed that Diana doesn't try to preserve it better. It is a huge part of who she is whether she likes it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Now that Mary Wilson is no longer with us, I was wondering who will carry on and protect the Supremes legacy. I know there are many hardcore fans who will do what they can but we are all limited by not being in show business or connected to the media. The former Supremes? Cindy has been ill for some time and is not in the public eye. Her health is her focus and rightfully so, she is so loved. Jean was never one to really promote the group and she has retired from show business. I don't see her working to promote the group's legacy after so many years of silence. Diana left the promotion of the group to Mary. She rightfully has a solo career she can focus on and promote and preserve, even though the Supremes was an extremely huge part of who she became I do not see her bothering about preserving or promoting the legacy. Lynda has retired and was in the group a short time, I don't see how she could or even if she had any interest. Scherrie and Susaye tour as the Former Ladies of the Supremes and they both are talented but the mass public is not as aware of them as they were of Mary, Diana, Flo, Cindy and Jean. Plus, Susaye has even had the group record songs she wrote to keep them with some contemporary legitimacy. I honestly feel no one will keep the Supremes alive and in the public eye as Mary Wilson did, it is beyond such a shame since this is the 60th Anniversary. So much that could be done, that I don't see being accomplished now that Mary is no longer with us.
    Like both you and Floyjoy wrote, I truly believe it is over. Their time has passed. Mary's death was a double shock. First and foremost for her. She was a wonderful person. I met her. She signed a CD for me. She didn't just scribble an autograph. She asked about me. What star does that? She was engaging, beautiful, and talented. Our main loss is for her as a person. She also, however, carried forward, promoted, defended, [[and yes, sometimes "enhanced") the story of a group we all dearly love. I just don't see any of the other Supremes in such a "natural" position to keep the group's name alive. Diana [[rightly) has her solo career and is forward looking. Cindy is very ill. The 70s group members don't have that original connection Mary had. For me, the sadness of losing Mary was only made worse by also losing The Supremes.

The simple answer? It's up to us.

Mary gave us the tools to keep the legacy alive. She connected us with people like Andy, George, Brad, Carl, and so many others that have supreme faith, and the ability to keep their name in the limelight.

When I started performing in 1995, I chose the name "Mary Brewster" in homage to my favorite Supreme: Mary of the Brewster Projects. Two and a half decades later, it fills me with joy to have built a very successful career in the Twin Cities, piggybacked off of a name that to me is synonymous with excellence.

There was only one Mary Wilson. I'm very proud to keep honoring her.

A Netflix series on the Supremes would be ideal preferably Ryan Murphy as producer..I think that would generate a huge interest in the Supremes and it's music

Yes I can definitely identify with these feelings. It's a double loss, as we lost Mary and we have lost the upholder of The Supremes legacy. I'm optimistic that various fans, historians and even Turkessa, will all do their best to keep the ball rolling with various Supremes projects. However, I do feel that the added authenticity and passion from Mary being at the helm of these things is certainly gone. Even in terms of the various interviews she did over the years for Universities and publications, they flocked to her because she was living history. She lived it. So yes, we lost that, but thankfully we lived through an era where so much of this has been recorded and captured in various formats, so that will always live on. We just won't be getting any more of it, which is sad and a reminder of cherishing life and the present moment, as well as cherishing those we love, while they're still here. I know that we will all do what we can, but I can only hope that the music industry at large will continue to recognize and look back on The Supremes' tremendous impact, by continuing to greenlight various releases and tributes.
    Last edited by carlo; 05-21-2021 at 01:21 PM.

To add to your post Carlo, I hope that those "in charge" are keeping an eye on the outpouring of love for Mary since her passing. I knew that Mary was special, but even I'm taken aback on how ADORED she was. That said, "Reflections", "Love Child", etc. should quickly be coming down the pipeline. Strike while the iron is hot? I know George recently said they're waiting for the green light. That green light should be a strobe!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

When I started performing in 1995, I chose the name "Mary Brewster" in homage to my favorite Supreme: Mary of the Brewster Projects. Two and a half decades later, it fills me with joy to have built a very successful career in the Twin Cities, piggybacked off of a name that to me is synonymous with excellence..
    Perfect clever name choice

Marybrewster--may I ask how you perform? Are you a singer?

Mary gave us the tools to keep the legacy alive. She connected us with people like Andy, George, Brad, Carl, and so many others that have supreme faith, and the ability to keep their name in the limelight.

When I started performing in 1995, I chose the name "Mary Brewster" in homage to my favorite Supreme: Mary of the Brewster Projects. Two and a half decades later, it fills me with joy to have built a very successful career in the Twin Cities, piggybacked off of a name that to me is synonymous with excellence.

Nice stated my dear. I also think its up to us and I thank the Lord for George and Andy. I was always told that Diana always let Mary hold the Supremes legacy and never wanted to take that away from her. Diana focused on her own career and let Mary shine in the legacy of the greatest girl group EVER. We will all eventually leave and go on to Glory and the Supremes legacy will be intact but fade into the History books like Judy Garland and Dusty Springfield. Theyll always have a following but never like the way fans like us follow them. Its just a fact of life.

Keep on shining Mary Brewster.

Fondly,

Roberta

To add to your post Carlo, I hope that those "in charge" are keeping an eye on the outpouring of love for Mary since her passing. I knew that Mary was special, but even I'm taken aback on how ADORED she was. That said, "Reflections", "Love Child", etc. should quickly be coming down the pipeline. Strike while the iron is hot? I know George recently said they're waiting for the green light. That green light should be a strobe!
    Totally agree, Ms. Brewster!

And I agree with you Mary Brewster; it's up to the fans of The Supremes to keep the legacy of the group alive the best we can.

A recent article that was posted on this site [about the release of the Mary Wilson album] mentioned that there would be more releases from the Supremes Archives soon. We Shall See.

I am happy to go on record as saying I have no, zero, nada interest in yet another imaginative I mean dramatization of the story of the Supremes. None. I hope that the music is sufficient to maintain its own legacy and the drama and fan fiction comes to an end. Enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I am happy to go on record as saying I have no, zero, nada interest in yet another imaginative I mean dramatization of the story of the Supremes. None. I hope that the music is sufficient to maintain its own legacy and the drama and fan fiction comes to an end. Enough already.
    And to that I say......AMEN!

Beautiful sentiments all around [[mostly). I concur with most everything. The Supremes are officially gone now, to live on only in the music, the video performances and our hearts. Fingers crossed for more great music to be unleashed.

I was thinking the same. Now that Mary is gone , what will be. Is it over.
    The reflection expanded and Mary's CDs release are on hold.
    Are they waiting on Diana? She's not touring until 2022 , if at all.
    Sad.
    I sent an email on the expanded page on FB. Reply was we still on hold.
    Thought sure they would have gone something for Diana's b day, but Sing HDH was three years ago.
    So close to the end and it seems things are falling apart.

George said something will be announced soon

Goodness. Such negativity. If the Supremes' legacy is to continue it shall do so based upon the quality of the music, not one person's usurpation of the legacy or another person's decision to live in the present. The Temptations legacy has continued to the extent of a successful Broadway musical for just that reason - the music - not the dramarama surrounding the group. The drama makes for a good show-book, of course - but if it weren't for the music there would be no Tempts on bwy show.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Goodness. Such negativity. If the Supremes' legacy is to continue it shall do so based upon the quality of the music, not one person's usurpation of the legacy or another person's decision to live in the present. The Temptations legacy has continued to the extent of a successful Broadway musical for just that reason - the music - not the dramarama surrounding the group. The drama makes for a good show-book, of course - but if it weren't for the music there would be no Tempts on bwy show.
    I was going to post the same such doom & gloom ! The Supremes legacy Im sure will live on theres lots of music inspired projects that could be possible - Stage shows, a nice book from Andy & George detailing the vault and the stories of the unreleased tracks, a documentary with unseen footage Berry Has, a new updated box set, an interactive app,expanded sets including instrumentals and acapellas.the gowns may still tour..theres lots of wonderful possibilities ...Mary was about positive energy she wouldnt want negativity
    Last edited by nomis; 05-22-2021 at 09:53 PM.

I don't think its doom and gloom. It's just reality. I don't see a Broadway show happening based on the Supremes. Itd be nice but I don't see anyone trying to make it happen any time soon. And I think its a little naive to think you'll be able to tell the story of the Supremes without addressing the issues they had with Flo and Diana's stress. The expanded editions are nice but I do not get my hopes high for them anymore. The Supremes legacy just isn't appreciated the way it should be.

It’s not like after 10 years the group had faded into oblivion. Their legacy has endured for 60 years. SIXTY YEARS. That is an incredible legacy.

I just wish someone would light the candles on the cake for the 60 year celebrations to get going. The sandwiches are starting to curl at the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    It’s not like after 10 years the group had faded into oblivion. Their legacy has endured for 60 years. SIXTY YEARS. That is an incredible legacy.
    Fantastic point!

To read the beautiful sentiments that have been expressed throughout this thread and conclude "doom and gloom" boggles my mind. Many of us are still in mourning for the Queen Supreme, and yes, some of that is tied to the banner she always carried for the group that made her famous. Is it too much to ask to be just a little sensitive to these feelings without the criticism?

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    And Mary was a large part of why they didn't fade. True, the Supremes were never going to be completely forgotten, not after the trail of hits they left behind and the attachment to Diana's solo career. But after Diana became a global sensation, it would've been very easy for the public to focus on her and the Supremes as "Diana's former group" and relegate the other ladies to anonymous faces and voices if not for Mary running around the world screaming that she was not only one of the Supremes, but the only one to remain throughout the entire existence of the group. She also made sure nobody would ever forget Florence. And I do believe that her second book went a long way into making sure that the legacies of the 70s Supremes were forever etched in history. So to think her death doesn't impact the direction of the Supremes legacy going forward seems like an underestimation of the job Mary did.

Like I said earlier, the group is going to live on in the music, the performances and in our hearts. Those things will not change. But Mary was a living, breathing, tangible piece of the Supremes and she wore it loud and proud. With her death it does feel like the Supremes have died. Diana has long ago placed the Supremes in her rearview mirror. She dusts them off for a song or two, or a medley, and then she locks them up again because she has the benefit of a long and illustrious solo career to focus on. As an adult that's her choice. Mary didn't have that luxury. She had the Supremes and she made that legacy work for her. Diana is the last living Supreme. I am not trying to diminish her role as one third of the biggest female group ever. But whenever I heard something about the Supremes over the years, I thought of Mary. What does Mary think about this? What does Mary have to do with this? I bet Mary is over the moon about this. And only after those Mary thoughts do I then wonder something about Diana, and unfortunately it was usually "Does Diana care about this?" So Mary being gone feels like the Supremes have gone to me.

I agree with everything you've written, RanRan. Well said.

To be honest, I have indeed felt very negative and a sense of doom and gloom lately, in regards to the loss of Mary and the outlook for The Supremes' legacy. Now that Mary has passed on, along with the recent passing of a handful of fans who I had counted as friends, and my own father, who got me started with The Supremes, it does leave me feeling quite sad about the entire situation. As RanRan said, we are indeed experiencing a loss and it will take time to process. For many of us, the way we connected to and experienced our Supremes fandom was through Mary Wilson. Sadly, that chapter has come to an end. When I made a reference above in my earlier post about 'cherishing the present', I meant it, because now all we have are our memories of her and the music.

I really do hope that Bruce Resnikoff, who is the CEO of Universal, keeps his promise to Mary. I say this respectfully but also remembering the fact that fewer and fewer Supremes-related physical reissues have been greenlighted in recent years. As much as we are all thrilled about the digital release of her music, it is quite clear to me, based on the online comments, that most are waiting for a physical CD release. Please make this happen, along with releasing her Richard Davis-produced album.
    Last edited by carlo; 05-23-2021 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    And Mary was a large part of why they didn't fade. True, the Supremes were never going to be completely forgotten, not after the trail of hits they left behind and the attachment to Diana's solo career. But after Diana became a global sensation, it would've been very easy for the public to focus on her and the Supremes as "Diana's former group" and relegate the other ladies to anonymous faces and voices if not for Mary running around the world screaming that she was not only one of the Supremes, but the only one to remain throughout the entire existence of the group. She also made sure nobody would ever forget Florence. And I do believe that her second book went a long way into making sure that the legacies of the 70s Supremes were forever etched in history. So to think her death doesn't impact the direction of the Supremes legacy going forward seems like an underestimation of the job Mary did.

Like I said earlier, the group is going to live on in the music, the performances and in our hearts. Those things will not change. But Mary was a living, breathing, tangible piece of the Supremes and she wore it loud and proud. With her death it does feel like the Supremes have died. Diana has long ago placed the Supremes in her rearview mirror. She dusts them off for a song or two, or a medley, and then she locks them up again because she has the benefit of a long and illustrious solo career to focus on. As an adult that's her choice. Mary didn't have that luxury. She had the Supremes and she made that legacy work for her. Diana is the last living Supreme. I am not trying to diminish her role as one third of the biggest female group ever. But whenever I heard something about the Supremes over the years, I thought of Mary. What does Mary think about this? What does Mary have to do with this? I bet Mary is over the moon about this. And only after those Mary thoughts do I then wonder something about Diana, and unfortunately it was usually "Does Diana care about this?" So Mary being gone feels like the Supremes have gone to me.
    An on point post Ran. I feel sure your thoughts reflect how a multitude of Supremes fans are feeling at this moment in time.
    Mary Wilson was the heart of the Supremes, of that there is no doubt. I just hope her passing doesn't mark the end of any 60th year Supremes celebrations that might have been in the pipeline.

I hope that no one feels I brought any negativity here. I just feel Mary's loss so profoundly and without her , I also felt a loss of the vibrancy she gave to the legacy of the Supremes. Without her, I know there is no one who can carry the mantle of keeping the Supremes' legacy as alive and as vibrant as she did. I can only imagine where the release of her Expanded Edition and the Supremes' 60th Anniversary would have been like. We are 5 months over in this year and I know it would have been so very different if Mary was still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I hope that no one feels I brought any negativity here. I just feel Mary's loss so profoundly and without her , I also felt a loss of the vibrancy she gave to the legacy of the Supremes. Without her, I know there is no one who can carry the mantle of keeping the Supremes' legacy as alive and as vibrant as she did. I can only imagine where the release of her Expanded Edition and the Supremes' 60th Anniversary would have been like. We are 5 months over in this year and I know it would have been so very different if Mary was still with us.
    No, Jim, you did not bring any negativity at all. You expressed an opinion that was yours as well as many others'. I can relate, most recently regarding my beloved Aretha. A loss, without a doubt, but celebration must, in the end, be heralded. Be well!

The Supremes will forever be remembered; Diana, Mary, Florence, Cindy and to some degree Barbara. You can't change history ….RIH Florence, Barbara, and Mary. Mary and Diana were both solo artists in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I agree with everything you've written, RanRan. Well said.

To be honest, I have indeed felt very negative and a sense of doom and gloom lately, in regards to the loss of Mary and the outlook for The Supremes' legacy. Now that Mary has passed on, along with the recent passing of a handful of fans who I had counted as friends, and my own father, who got me started with The Supremes, it does leave me feeling quite sad about the entire situation. As RanRan said, we are indeed experiencing a loss and it will take time to process. For many of us, the way we connected to and experienced our Supremes fandom was through Mary Wilson. Sadly, that chapter has come to an end. When I made a reference above in my earlier post about 'cherishing the present', I meant it, because now all we have are our memories of her and the music.

I really do hope that Bruce Resnikoff, who is the CEO of Universal, keeps his promise to Mary. I say this respectfully but also remembering the fact that fewer and fewer Supremes-related physical reissues have been greenlighted in recent years. As much as we are all thrilled about the digital release of her music, it is quite clear to me, based on the online comments, that most are waiting for a physical CD release. Please make this happen, along with releasing her Richard Davis-produced album.
    I know that Covid put a halt to a lot of plans for everybody, but with this thing seemingly becoming a manageable part of life, at least for the time being, more of the Supremes' music, as a group and solo, can finally be unleased again. Allowing the 60th anniversary to go by without anything for the fans would be a travesty. I think something will happen though. I'm trying to stay optimistic. We did get Mary's album reissued and it was a great tribute to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    An on point post Ran. I feel sure your thoughts reflect how a multitude of Supremes fans are feeling at this moment in time.
    Mary Wilson was the heart of the Supremes, of that there is no doubt. I just hope her passing doesn't mark the end of any 60th year Supremes celebrations that might have been in the pipeline.
    I have a hard time believing Andy and George and the gang would let that happen without a serious throw down. At this point they're honorary Supremes as far as I'm concerned.