[REMOVE ADS]

Listened to A Go Go today

The mono tracks on the Expanded Edition and have a newfound appreciation for it. I looooved this album growing up and my sister and I listened to it all the time. As I got older I fell into the "theres too many boring covers" crowd and when I bought the expanded edition I found myself listening to mainly disc 2 for the the two "Itching" remixes.

While I have a newfound appreciation for it today I will say I still feel there's a few duds on here. The album flows great until "Boots". Sorry but Diana just doesn't do it for me on this one. "Put Yourself In My Place" and "Money" bore me. I know I'm in the minority but I actually do like "Hang On Sloopy" [[this is one I remember me and siblings singing along to a lot). I'll give Mary's "Memories " a pass just for breaking up the Diana monotony but this is another one we used to sing along with a lot. I really love the mono mix of "This Old Heart of Mine" and think it could've been a single and gave this one a listen to a couple more times after I finished the whole 12 tracks. I wondered if they listened to the albums when they were released or if they were just so busy they didn't have the time.

"Put Yourself In My Place" had to grow on me. For years I put it in the "boring" column [[along with "Money", "Sloopy" and "I Can't Help Myself"). I've come to really like it over the years. The track is simple, but there's something really nice about it. But it's really Diana's lead that makes me a fan of it. I really love her reading of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "Put Yourself In My Place" had to grow on me. For years I put it in the "boring" column [[along with "Money", "Sloopy" and "I Can't Help Myself"). I've come to really like it over the years. The track is simple, but there's something really nice about it. But it's really Diana's lead that makes me a fan of it. I really love her reading of the song.
    Yeah it sounds very karaoke-ish to me is the best way to describe it lol. The instrumental track is just lacking a lot to me and then there's the bland Andantes sound. I'm not dissing the Andantes because there are songs that I love them on and feel they're necessary to be on [[Love Child being one) but I feel maybe Mary and Flo might have saved this one for me but probably not if they kept the same backing track.

I do like "I Can't Help Myself" but would have preferred that they punched it up a bit like how when they sang it on Hullabaloo the year before.
    Last edited by floyjoy678; 04-09-2021 at 04:39 PM.

I actually like "Put yourself in my place" by both the Supremes and the Elgins. The song that I like the most is "this old heart of mine". I've been listening to both the mono and stereo version lately after a discussion on here. It was on my very first CD that I bought as a kid.

I can't help myself is ok and Diana sounds really good but the background vocals and instrumental tracks seems to lacks excitement.

I only listen to A Go Go on days that end in "y".

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I only listen to A Go Go on days that end in "y".
    Lol and why not? I listened to the stereo version today. Heres what I liked best for each track...

Love is like an itching-stereo
    This old heart of mine-mono
    You cant Hurry love-mono
    Shake me wake me-mono
    Baby I need your loving-stereo
    These boots are made for walking-mono
    I cant help myself-mono
    Get ready-stereo
    Put yourself in my place-mono
    Money-stereo
    Come and get these memories-stereo
    Hang on sloopy-stereo

I recall, back in the day, this was my first album I ever had of the Supremes. It was the mono [[remember they were a dollar less than the stereo version). I absolutely loved "Baby, I Need Your Loving" because towards the end when Diana is singing some different lyrics, she's doing it over what appears just to be the bass guitar and maybe one of subtle instrument...."When the midnight [[?) falls and I reminisce...." Sadly when I exchanged it for the stereo version, I was one disappointed boy because the stereo mix did not feature the prominent bass guitar playing underlying Diana's lyrics.