[REMOVE ADS]

Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things

I always thought the Andantes did the backgrounds alone on this one but I read on Wikipedia that Mary and Flo are also mixed in there. Yeah I know its Wikipedia but I decided to take a listen and I do feel like I can hear them mixed in with the Andantes especially on the "aaaahh"s. What do ya think?

This Diana Ross song yes absolutely phenomenal does love to make you do for those things her voice on this song is second to none I really don’t pay that much attention to the bike runs just as I don’t pay much attention to the background vocals on her solo stuff so it really doesn’t make any sense hemming and hawing over background vocals But I do very much appreciate the beautiful harmonies but in the end it is Diana Ross who sang this song like it or not

I'm only hearing the Andantes on this track.
    Oddly, this track isn't listed in DFTMC...curious.

Kim Weston also does a version of the song with the original back track. On Wikipedia the Andantes are said to have sung background on all three versions.
    Last edited by SatansBlues; 04-07-2021 at 11:44 PM.

My favourite version of the song. Wonderfully emotive vocal from Diana with superb backing vocals. Might have done well as a single, though perhaps a little to traditional sounding following the psychedelic “Reflections”.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I'm only hearing the Andantes on this track.
    Oddly, this track isn't listed in DFTMC...curious.

Kim Weston also does a version of the song with the original back track. On Wikipedia the Andantes are said to have sung background on all three versions.
    It is listed on DFTMC. The Supremes recorded their version on January 31, 1967. I can remember that but can't remember what I had for dinner last night lol.

I haven't heard Kim's version in years but its the same backing track as Martha's right?

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    This Diana Ross song yes absolutely phenomenal does love to make you do for those things her voice on this song is second to none I really don’t pay that much attention to the bike runs just as I don’t pay much attention to the background vocals on her solo stuff so it really doesn’t make any sense hemming and hawing over background vocals But I do very much appreciate the beautiful harmonies but in the end it is Diana Ross who sang this song like it or not
    As a Supremes fan I beg to differ but to each their own.

it's the Andantes doing the background on this on. Diana recorded her lead vocals on 10/25/66. and according to the Sing HDH EE booklet the A's recorded their backing vocals on this on 11/17. the same day they did a bunch of the vocals for the From Broadway to Hollywood set [[If i ruled the world, tender is the night, shadow of your smile and Strangers in the night)

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    It is listed on DFTMC. The Supremes recorded their version on January 31, 1967. I can remember that but can't remember what I had for dinner last night lol.

I haven't heard Kim's version in years but its the same backing track as Martha's right?
    usually the date on Don't Forget is the date the track was completed. not necessarily the date the supremes laid their vocals down.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's the Andantes doing the background on this on. Diana recorded her lead vocals on 10/25/66. and according to the Sing HDH EE booklet the A's recorded their backing vocals on this on 11/17. the same day they did a bunch of the vocals for the From Broadway to Hollywood set [[If i ruled the world, tender is the night, shadow of your smile and Strangers in the night)
    Interesting. I use to think I could hear Mary in the mix but never Flo. The Andantes sound slick and soulful on this song.

there have been quite a few times where i think i hear mary on A tracks too. it gets challenging to always be able to tell them apart. plus there are times but the Sups and the As are there. or are doing different parts on the same track

I'm still not seeing it listed on DFTM or maybe I've just gone crazy.

I'm still not seeing it listed on DFTM or maybe I've just gone crazy.
    It's on Page 5 in "L" as - Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)

http://www.dftmc.info/titles/tl-05.htm

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    there have been quite a few times where i think i hear mary on A tracks too. it gets challenging to always be able to tell them apart. plus there are times but the Sups and the As are there. or are doing different parts on the same track
    There must be a member of the Andantes who had a tone similar to Mary’s. I’m assuming it wasn’t Marlene.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    It's on Page 5 in "L" as - Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)

http://www.dftmc.info/titles/tl-05.htm
    Thank You! I see it now. I think the Supreme's version is ok. But M&TV's version is the definitive version. Plus the sounds out of place on the Reflection's album, a bit dated compared to the song Reflections. Curious that HDH would use the Andante's instead of Mary and Florence on background vocals.

What a wonderful Diana Ross song they of renamed the group Diana Ross and the Andantes who where supreme

Jackie Burns is the Alto of the group
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    There must be a member of the Andantes who had a tone similar to Mary’s. I’m assuming it wasn’t Marlene.

For me it sounds like a mix of M and F with the Andantes

Nothing beats Martha's version.

For a radically different take on this song, listen to Thee Midniters version:

https://youtu.be/E1XmbrajwJQ

some of us ARE interested in the background vocals

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    For a radically different take on this song, listen to Thee Midniters version:

https://youtu.be/E1XmbrajwJQ
    I actually like their version. I'm gonna be honest the Supremes version is probably at the bottom of my list lol. I love Diana and all but there's a reason why I loved when Mary and Flo got leads, it broke up the monotony. And I think this is one of those songs Mary and Flo should have shared lead on. Mary on the verses and Flo doing the bridges.

“I actually like their version."

I agree with you floyjoy678. It’s a good interpretation of a Motown tune!

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Jackie Burns is the Alto of the group
    You meant Jackie Hicks

Curious that HDH would use the Andante's instead of Mary and Florence on background vocals.
    A shame really. Flo and Mary would've added some personality to the song. The A's did a great job on Martha's, and part of that is because, IMO, they are pushed back into the orchestration, and therefore act as such. There's so much going on in Martha's version, but she so easily is the focus. To me this Diana version is toned down considerably where the music is concerned. The Andantes have a more prominent role, and while Diana is in command here, the A's are right up under her, very audible, very noticeable. The A's were a very polished group that often approached their work in a very technical way, if that makes any sense. Flo and Mary weren't quite as polished and often approached their work with their personalities front and center. To my ears it made Flo and Mary's backing vocals so much more charming than what the A's often did. However, it's possible that to HDH's ears, the polished, technical approach of the A's was the go-to sound for the B2H tracks, which "Love" may have been originally intended for. [[I know, "Love" is neither a Broadway or Hollywood cut, but when did that ever stop anybody at Motown?)

And I think this is one of those songs Mary and Flo should have shared lead on. Mary on the verses and Flo doing the bridges.
    I think Diana was well suited to the song. I have no problem with her having this lead. However, I agree that both Flo and Mary, either as full leads or co leads, would have also been a good choice for this.

Gave me a headache to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Gave me a headache to read this.
    LOL. More like a migraine i’d say.

I guess if you took away the beautiful voice of Diana Ross on this track There’s not really nothing left in that would be enough to give anybody a headache just kidding enjoy the music