[REMOVE ADS]

Wicked wilson pickett

Ya know gang,one of the greatest soul shouters ever was the great[wilson pickett]who doesn't seem to get mentioned much,now we all now his story-from the falcons to his long solo career and his running fueds with[james brown-percy sledge]i was lucky enough to see him perform and the man put on a show,do you have a favorite pickett tune? For me it's the soul-macho of[don't knock my love]a soul legend-just a shout out!!

One of my favorites, Jai. I couldn't tell you what my favorite Wilson Pickett song is because I have so many that I love. Maybe the only singer from Memphis/Muscle Shoals with a voice that was as soulful as Otis Redding's.

I agree with both of you. A great voice.

So..do either of you remember the 1991 movie: "The Commitments?" Guy from Dublin decides to form a R&B band, which consisted of all white musicians. They had very little experience with R&B music. The "self-promoter" in the band wanted a sound that was like his idol, Wilson Pickett. A really hilarious movie.

I never watched it but I remember picking up a album with the original songs on it. I had most of them on vinyl but it was a cassette that I listened to for weeks. I recently rewatched the Muscle Shoals documentary and enjoyed the brief introduction to Wilson Pickett on it, even though it didn't talk about how complex he was. "Wicked" was an accurate description according to some. He once pulled a gun on Percy Sledge over a perceived slight even though everybody knew that Sledge didn't have a disrespectful bone in his body.

If the movie ever comes on, Jerry, you may like it.

Haaaaaaaaa, that percy sledge fight happened when percy said that pickett sounded like james brown[whom pickett hated]legend has it that someone stepped between them which kept pickett from getting knocked out[sledge was also a boxer]i know a musician who once toured with pickett and he told a story of the time pickett got on the bus and told the driver to take off,because some woman's husband was after him,haaaaaaa...wicked pickett!!!

Looks like he earned his nickname, R&B!!!!

Picket more than earned his nickname. He had a whole group of session musicians walk
    out on him at one point. Too bad because he could shout soul like nobody's business.
    I still retain a weakness for his version of You Keep Me Holding On.....

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaa, that percy sledge fight happened when percy said that pickett sounded like james brown[whom pickett hated]legend has it that someone stepped between them which kept pickett from getting knocked out[sledge was also a boxer]i know a musician who once toured with pickett and he told a story of the time pickett got on the bus and told the driver to take off,because some woman's husband was after him,haaaaaaa...wicked pickett!!!
    LOL love these kind of stories. Any good books that you guys/gals would recomend?

Quote Originally Posted by nectarsis View Post
    LOL love these kind of stories. Any good books that you guys/gals would recomend?
    Here's a write-up on a biography about him:
    https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...kett/96264752/

It was published in 2017. Here's a link to purchase it on Amazon.com:
    https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Hour...8972858&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Ya know gang,one of the greatest soul shouters ever was the great[wilson pickett]who doesn't seem to get mentioned much,now we all now his story-from the falcons to his long solo career and his running fueds with[james brown-percy sledge]i was lucky enough to see him perform and the man put on a show,do you have a favorite pickett tune? For me it's the soul-macho of[don't knock my love]a soul legend-just a shout out!!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Let Me Be Your Boy", on Correc-Tone Records 501, from early 1962, produced by Motown's Robert Bateman, arranged by Motown's Sonny Sanders, with The early Funk Brothers playing the instruments, and The Supremes singing the backgrounds. I think that Motown's regular moonlighting string section from The Detroit Symphony Orchestra were playing on it, as well. Brilliant production!

Great stuff robb,as usual,mary wilson mentioned working with pickett early on.

Can't remember the title of it, but it's the flip of his first Atlantic single, "Come Home Baby". I heard it for the first time on Sunday on Top Shelf Oldies, and it's fantastic!

Best,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark speck View Post
    Can't remember the title of it, but it's the flip of his first Atlantic single, "Come Home Baby". I heard it for the first time on Sunday on Top Shelf Oldies, and it's fantastic!

Best,

Mark
    Found it just now on Discogs. It's called Take A Little Love, if I pulled up the right track...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ray3pVweWGo
    Love it!...