[REMOVE ADS]

Baby I Need Your Lovin question

Does anyone know the full lyrics to the little outro Diana does at the end there? I know this:

In the midnight hours when I reminisce
    And I start feeling blue
    That's when baby I need you, yes I do

And then I can't ever seem to make out the next line.

I always loved their cover simply for this outro. Something about Diana's pleading tone and Mary and Flo's looping the chorus in an equally pleading tone.

"And when I run out of things to do, my mind falls on you. Yeah. Baby that's when I need you. Yes I do."

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    "And when I run out of things to do, my mind falls on you. Yeah. Baby that's when I need you. Yes I do."
    Thank you!!! Now I can sing my heart out to it properly lol.

I always thought it was "out of all the things to do, my mind falls on you" but the closer I listened to it I realized it wasn't it.

You're welcome.

I always thought the song didn't come alive until the last chorus and outro. Its just a shame it happens at the end of the song.

There's a difference between the mono and stereo version that was a nice surprise on the EE set.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    There's a difference between the mono and stereo version that was a nice surprise on the EE set.
    Did artists actually record songs twice, once in mono and once in stereo?

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Did artists actually record songs twice, once in mono and once in stereo?
    Not always. I used to think they did because there could be some grand differences between mono and stereo singles. I heard the Marvelettes' "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game" in mono, then later, in stereo and I thought it was recorded twice. As I got older and learned a lot more about what engineers can do with mixing a multi-track tape and various effects [[compression, EQ, reverb), I realized the incredible people Motown had in the engineering department.

Sometimes though, you might indeed have a song that was recorded twice. Not to create a mono AND single version, but it was just a song may have been tweaked completely or it was just an alternate vocal performance. The Monitors have a song, "Time Is Passing By"; the stereo version [[which I prefer) is completely different vocal performance to the mono mix- and the mono mix has very different lyrics.

"Baby I Need Your Loving" is the same vocal on the mono and stereo mix.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I always thought the song didn't come alive until the last chorus and outro. Its just a shame it happens at the end of the song.
    Whenever you feel you've got this opinion on something that nobody else would feel, someone proves we truly are not alone in this world. As much as I like what HDH did with this song on the Supremes, I too always thought it really started clicking near the end. The way the instruments are pared back to almost bare bones, then slowly brought back in. On the mono mix, it's even more startling. Nothing but vocals and bass, then BAM, Benny Benjamin's drum fill and those bongos! What really makes it for me is how Benny just starts pounding his bass drum into the ground the farther the song goes on, and the mono gives you a bit more at the fade. If you listen carefully, for me, the icing is just at the last second at the end, you'll hear this chime as the group goes into the very last chorus.

Yeah I had always heard about the mono version being different so one of the first things I did when I got the expanded edition was listen to it. The only thing I don't like about the mono version is Mary and Flo's vocals are mixed lower.

One of my favs from the A Go Go set.

this is a delight. My suddenly favorite Supreme song of the moment ! The vamping at the end is terrific.....sort of what the Spinners will perfect in a few years . Agree, The ending is great ! That bongo madness and that timpani at 2:50 . Another minute before the fade please dear engineer.

Ok I'll let it repeat 3 more times and that's enough! for now lol!

Just for fun what if the other Suprmes also cut loose from the script at the end, something like " yes she does , she really needs your lovin'" ...."can't you hear what she's saying" .....etc...

added:

at 2:16 somebody [[ Mary?) hits a little high note when they sing"need" . subtle but effective.

interesting its done at :46 too ... except its off... delayed a beat . intentionally inserted , bad edit?

One more add:

Motown used a lot of creative sound effects early on as I understand it ....even rattling chains , stomping floors ...whatever .

I swear in this I hear glasses of water being played .....??? say at 2:02 , something gets clanged ! oh , at the very opening intro ...a little more metallic perhaps ...& not a cowbell
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-07-2021 at 02:54 PM.

one of my all time favorite Supremes tracks

Bumping this old thread because I just listened to this one seven...yes seven times tonight! Ugh I love it! I used to hate how bare the song sounded compared to the Four Tops version but I actually love it now and may even prefer it to the original. Then I love how on that last verse everything just starts building up with more instrumentation coming in and Mary and Flo's "I love ya and I want ya baby" start coming in. Then that epic outro is just the cherry on top to a perfect song. Diana's pleading by this point and Mary and Flo's loop of the chorus are in a tone of desperation. It's about three minutes long and I just wish it could have went on for another three minutes.

IMO the Supremes were often given "karaoke" knockoff tracks when doing Motown covers, even when the tracks were cut in Detroit. Their version of "Baby I Need Your Loving" is unique enough to be it's own thing. It's the same song, of course, but it seems like there was an artistic goal, as opposed to just another "go through the motions" cover track. I've loved it from the first listen. I love the Tops' original. In fact I don't think I've ever heard a version of "Baby I Need Your Loving" that I didn't like. But the Supremes' version is equally as perfect as the Tops' IMO. Diana's lead, Flo and Mary's vocals, the Funks, they all killed their assignment. This and "Shake Me, Wake Me" are probably my two favorite cuts from the A Go Go album.

My favorite Supremes track ever!

I remember reading in the expanded A Go Go booklet that there were additional vocals added in from the Andantes. I don't hear them on here though. Sounds like pure Flo and Mary to me.

I remember reading in the expanded A Go Go booklet that there were additional vocals added in from the Andantes. I don't hear them on here though. Sounds like pure Flo and Mary to me.
    Only Diana, Mary and Florence on this track.

Nice to see this track get a thread always been a favorite of mine..flo and Mary sound great on it

As far as I can tell, the album as originally released is only the actual Supremes except "Put Yourself In My Place", which is either Mary and Marlene or just the Andantes, and the Andantes are added in on "Come and Get These Memories" along with Mary and Florence. And of course there's the controversial "You Can't Hurry Love", but until the team actually lays it flat that Flo is not on the track, as opposed to us reading between the lines, I'll continue to credit it to her and nobody's going to change my mind on that.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    As far as I can tell, the album as originally released is only the actual Supremes except "Put Yourself In My Place", which is either Mary and Marlene or just the Andantes, and the Andantes are added in on "Come and Get These Memories" along with Mary and Florence. And of course there's the controversial "You Can't Hurry Love", but until the team actually lays it flat that Flo is not on the track, as opposed to us reading between the lines, I'll continue to credit it to her and nobody's going to change my mind on that.
    You're correct - Mary & Flo are on every track with the exception of "Put Yourself In My Place" which is the Andantes and "You Can't Hurry Love" which is Mary & Marlene. The Andantes were added to "Come And Get These Memories" with Mary & Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm with you on that Ranran. I know everyone here and the experts say they don't hear her but I've never been completely convinced she's not on it. If the three Supremed or HDH or some other Motowner had said it then yeah I'd believe it. I leave it in the maybe pile.

So George was that an error then in the booklet where it says the Andantes added vocals to the song?

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    You're correct - Mary & Flo are on every track with the exception of "Put Yourself In My Place" which is the Andantes and "You Can't Hurry Love" which is Mary & Marlene. The Andantes were added to "Come And Get These Memories" with Mary & Flo.
    Do you think Mary is in there with the Andantes on "Put Yourself In My Place"? During the break it sounds like her a bit there.

i miss the opening bars that are on the 4 Tops version.

Do you think Mary is in there with the Andantes on "Put Yourself In My Place"? During the break it sounds like her a bit there.
    I don't hear Mary. Just the Andantes. "Mother Dear" [[Version 3) is one where its Mary, Flo & the Andantes and you can hear all of them.

As for "You Can't Hurry Love," the track annotations list the vocals being cut on July 5, 1966. During that same session they recorded "Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart," "Slow Down," and "Come On And See Me." It is noted in the A' Go-Go Expanded Edition timeline that Florence was absent for that session and Marlene Barrow stepped in. Marlene said herself she was asked to sing with Mary on "You Can't Hurry Love."

YCHL is a masterpiece no matter who is on it. The original 45 mix was VERY difficult to hear who was on it. You can hear it on the mono version on EE. It was only until the album came out that it seemed Flo wasn’t there.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 03-09-2022 at 05:59 PM.