[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Singles Not on ‘Regular’ Albums

As I was listening to the Four Tops “You Keep Running Away,” I was reminded that this is a single that was not on a regular album. By ‘regular’ I mean an album that usually showcased a group or artists’ latest single[[s) along with otheer album fillers. Yes, I am aware that it may have appeared on some other compilation like a greatest hits album, etc. Offhand, I can only think of two other singles that were not on a regular album: Supremes’ “The Happening and the Ross/Richie pairing of “Endless Love.” I especially don’t understand why Running Away or The Happening did not make it on a regular album. I am sere there are other examples.

A lot of Marvelettes singles from 1963–1965 were not on regular albums, amongst them TOO MANY FISH IN THE SEA and DON'T MESS WITH BILL.

Ditto for the Vandellas' QUICKSAND, LIVE WIRE, IN MY LONELY ROOM, I CAN'T DANCE TO THAT MUSIC YOU'RE PLAYING and others.

Also, the Pips' FRIENDSHIP TRAIN and YOU NEED LOVE LIKE I DO weren't on regular albums.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    A lot of Marvelettes singles from 1963–1965 were not on regular albums, amongst them TOO MANY FISH IN THE SEA and DON'T MESS WITH BILL.

Ditto for the Vandellas' QUICKSAND, LIVE WIRE, IN MY LONELY ROOM, I CAN'T DANCE TO THAT MUSIC YOU'RE PLAYING and others.

Also, the Pips' FRIENDSHIP TRAIN and YOU NEED LOVE LIKE I DO weren't on regular albums.
    Thanks, Reese. Your examples indicate that it actually was't uncommon for this to occur. With the Four Tops "Running Away", I was guessing it was because maybe it was recorded too late for the latest regular album; however, it would also be too late to put in on the next album. Maybe the Supremes "The Happening" didn't quite fit with the concept of their "Reflections" album. Again, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Thanks, Reese. Your examples indicate that it actually was't uncommon for this to occur. With the Four Tops "Running Away", I was guessing it was because maybe it was recorded too late for the latest regular album; however, it would also be too late to put in on the next album. Maybe the Supremes "The Happening" didn't quite fit with the concept of their "Reflections" album. Again, thank you.
    By the time the REFLECTIONS album was released, THE HAPPENING was already a year old so that's probably another reason why it wasn't included on that album.

Of course, age isn't always a factor. The Marvelettes released YOU'RE THE ONE in 1966 and it wasn't included on an album until SOPHISTICATED SOUL in 1968. And this despite the fact that they had released a studio album in 1967, THE MARVELETTES.

I always assumed that it was to bolster the greatest hits albums.The Temptation`s "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep" is another.

I Second That Emotion is another hit that only appeared on a greatest hits package.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Of course, age isn't always a factor. The Marvelettes released YOU'RE THE ONE in 1966 and it wasn't included on an album until SOPHISTICATED SOUL in 1968. And this despite the fact that they had released a studio album in 1967, THE MARVELETTES.
    This one always struck me as really odd. "You're The One" wasn't any kind of big hit and yet it skips 2 albums [[Greatest Hits and The Pink Album) to appear out of left field 2 years later on Sophisticated Soul. Even stranger, the mono mix of Sophisticated Soul is basically a folded-down mix of the stereo album, BUT "You're The One" is the 45/single version- the ONLY thing on the album in a true mono mix. So had "You're The One" become some kind of cult hit in various regions over 2 years? So much so that Motown wanted to get it onto the Sophisticated Soul LP? I don't know why, but it oddly doesn't really sound that out of place on S.S. [[except if you listen the the mono LP).

I don't know if 'Paper boy' [[Marvelettes) was the A side or B side - it didn't appear on an LP.

Of course, the Supremes 'Bad weather' and Four Tops 'Simple game' didn't feature on an LP.

Here's an example of that: Marvin Gaye's "Ego Trippin' Out" was a single only release. Also "You're The Man" [until the You're The Man LP two years ago].

Another one that didn't get on a album [in the US anyway] was The Miracles' "I Like It Like That"/"You're So Fine And Sweet" single. However, both songs were included on the UK LP I Like It Like That.

Stevie Wonder's "Keep Our Love Alive" from 1990 is another single that was never featured on a regular album [and was never on a complication until The Complete Stevie Wonder collection from iTunes].

Two more: The Marvelettes' "I'll Keep Holding On" & The Temptations' "Ball Of Confusion [That's What The World Is Today]".

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    I don't know if 'Paper boy' [[Marvelettes) was the A side or B side - it didn't appear on an LP.
    The Marvelettes' "Paper Boy" was the B-side of "You're The One" and didn't appear on any of the group's regular LPs. The same thing happened with their hit single "Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead" [as well as it's B-side, "Your Cheating Ways"] in 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Another one that didn't get on a album [in the US anyway] was The Miracles' "I Like It Like That"/"You're So Fine And Sweet" single. However, both songs were included on the UK LP I Like It Like That.
    There was an LP, "I Like It Like That" scheduled for release in the U.S., I think around the same time "The Marvelettes Greatest Hits" was originally scheduled for release; both were cancelled.

I think further examples would be Martha's Sweet Darlin' and I Gotta Let You Go.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    There was an LP, "I Like It Like That" scheduled for release in the U.S., I think around the same time "The Marvelettes Greatest Hits" was originally scheduled for release; both were cancelled.
    I didn't know that Motown had The Miracles' I Like It Like That album scheduled for release in the US. I'm guessing that it was cancelled since the title song never became a major hit stateside. It's also news that The Marvelettes' Greatest Hits was originally planned to come out in 1964 [two years before it finally came out in 1966]. Thanks for the info.

PS: Good hearing from you again-WWLFAC!

For me two of the very best examples of Motown artists that didn't have their songs appear on regular albums are both Kim Weston & The Velvelettes since Motown never released an album on either one of them during their time there [except for Kim's duet LP with Marvin Gaye, Take Two].

Tammi Terrell's "There Are Things" is the B side of M-1115 and did not appear on the "Irresistible" LP. I'm sure it's one of the reasons this 45 is so difficult to find.
    Darin

Actually if you noticed it, all of the Motown acts has had a new single on a greatest hits album.

Add "Sugar Daddy" to the list of singles that did not appear on a "regular" album.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Actually if you noticed it, all of the Motown acts has had a new single on a greatest hits album.
    Interesting ! That would make a nice list or compilation CD!

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Shrewd marketing move on Motown's part! However, an exception to this was The Four Tops' stateside release of their first Greatest Hits LP from 1967 which did not have any 'new singles' on it [the UK release did have "You Keep Running Away" on it though].
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 04-07-2021 at 05:06 AM.

Almost everything by The Contours [except for their first couple of singles which showed up on their only Motown LP, Do You Love Me] were 'single only' releases. So add "First I Look At The Purse", "Just A Little Misunderstanding", "Can You Jerk Like Me" and others to the list.

The Miracles "That's What Love Is Made Of" appeared on their US "Greatest Hits From The Beginning" LP but on none of their "regular" US LPs.

Roger

Stevie had 'Traveling Man', 'That Girl' & 'Do I Do'.

Marvin had 'Can I Get A Witness', You're A Wonderful One', 'Pretty Little Baby', 'Got To Give It Up'.

Miracles had '[[You Can't Let the Boy Overpower) The Man in You','I Like It Like That', ' That's What Love Is Made Of', 'Come On Do the Jerk', 'I Second That Emotion'.

Martha had 'Quicksand', 'Live Wire', 'In My Lonely Room', 'You've Been in Love Too Long',
    'Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)', 'My Baby Loves Me', 'I Can't Dance to That Music You're Playing', 'Sweet Darlin'' '"I Gotta Let You Go'.

I didn't know that Motown had The Miracles' I Like It Like That album scheduled for release in the US. I'm guessing that it was cancelled since the title song never became a major hit stateside. It's also news that The Marvelettes' Greatest Hits was originally planned to come out in 1964 [two years before it finally came out in 1966]. Thanks for the info.

PS: Good hearing from you again-WWLFAC!
    Hi Motown Eddie and thank you! I just couldn't stay away. On the subject of the Miracles and Marvelettes albums, here is a link I think you'll find really interesting. It has discographies for all the Motown albums from the 1961-1981, including albums proposed but not released.
    https://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/tamla/tamla.html https://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/motownstory.html The site is called Both Sides Now.

Check this out:
    TM/TS-253 - The Marvelettes' Greatest Hits - Marvelettes [2/16/66] [[3-66, #84 #4R&B) This number was reserved in 1964, but the album was not issued until 1966, after Tamla had switched to the square logo on the jacket. Both mono and stereo issues have the square logo. The original cover for this album was orange with blue printing; the second pressing was green with gold printing. This album contains a true stereo alternate take of "Please Mr. Postman" which is the only stereo version released of this song. Don't Mess With Bill [[S)/You're My Remedy [[S)/Locking Up My Heart [[S)/As Long As I Know He's Mine [[S)/Too Many Fish In The Sea [[S)/Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead [[S)//Please Mister Postman [[S, alternate take)/Playboy [[S)/Strange I Know [[S)/Forever [[S)/Twistin' Postman [[S)/Beechwood 4-5789 [[E)

TM/TS-253 - The Marvelettes' Greatest Hits - Marvelettes [2/16/66] [[3-66, #84 #4R&B) This number was reserved in 1964, but the album was not issued until 1966, after Tamla had switched to the square logo on the jacket. Both mono and stereo issues have the square logo. The original cover for this album was orange with blue printing; the second pressing was green with gold printing. This album contains a true stereo alternate take of "Please Mr. Postman" which is the only stereo version released of this song. Don't Mess With Bill [[S)/You're My Remedy [[S)/Locking Up My Heart [[S)/As Long As I Know He's Mine [[S)/Too Many Fish In The Sea [[S)/Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead [[S)//Please Mister Postman [[S, alternate take)/Playboy [[S)/Strange I Know [[S)/Forever [[S)/Twistin' Postman [[S)/Beechwood 4-5789 [[E)

As for the Miracles "I Like It Like That" album, I should have said I believe it was scheduled for 1964 because according to a Wiki page, the catalog number would have put it in 1964 and the site lists the album by name but with no release date. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motown_discography#Albums I also believe I had read elsewhere the album was released and then withdrawn. At any rate, if this is true, I think it's like you said, the song wasn't really a big hit and the group was in a slump singles-wise at the time just as the Marvelettes had no really big new single to propel a Greatest Hits album in 1964.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 04-07-2021 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Hi Motown Eddie and thank you! I just couldn't stay away. On the subject of the Miracles and Marvelettes albums, here is a link I think you'll find really interesting. It has discographies for all the Motown albums from the 1961-1981, including albums proposed but not released.
    https://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/tamla/tamla.html https://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/motownstory.html The site is called Both Sides Now.

Check this out:

As for the Miracles "I Like It Like That" album, I should have said I believe it was scheduled for 1964 because according to a Wiki page, the catalog number would have put it in 1964 and the site lists the album by name but with no release date. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motown_discography#Albums I also believe I had read elsewhere the album was released and then withdrawn. At any rate, if this is true, I think it's like you said, the song wasn't really a big hit and the group was in a slump singles-wise at the time just as the Marvelettes had no really big new single to propel a Greatest Hits album in 1964.
    Thanks for all the updates WWLFAC. I know about the Both Sides Now site and they are an excellent source to check out on album releases [and record company histories as well]. And yes, Motown would have catalog numbers made up for planned releases and either cancel them or use them later on.

PS: One more thing; there's another true stereo version of The Marvelettes' "Please Mr. Postman" and it's on The Motown Box collection from 2005. It's longer than the single version and includes both the "don't pass me by" & "deliver de letter" lyrics towards the end of the song.

Glad you 'couldn't stay away' WWLFAC.

After "Every Little Bit Hurts," and "I'll Always Love You", none of Brenda Holloway's singles made it onto an album:

When I'm Gone
    I'll Be Available
    Operator
    You Can Cry On My Shoulder
    How Many Times Did You Mean It
    Together 'Til The End Of Time
    Hurt A Little Every Day
    Where Were You
    You've Made Me So Very Happy
    Starting The Hurt All Over Again

Also, Eddie Holland's last two Motown 45s:

Just Ain't Enough Love
    Candy To Me

Quote Originally Posted by waitingwatchinglookingforachance View Post
    this one always struck me as really odd. "you're the one" wasn't any kind of big hit and yet it skips 2 albums [[greatest hits and the pink album) to appear out of left field 2 years later on sophisticated soul. Even stranger, the mono mix of sophisticated soul is basically a folded-down mix of the stereo album, but "you're the one" is the 45/single version- the only thing on the album in a true mono mix. So had "you're the one" become some kind of cult hit in various regions over 2 years? So much so that motown wanted to get it onto the sophisticated soul lp? I don't know why, but it oddly doesn't really sound that out of place on s.s. [[except if you listen the the mono lp).
    yep,talk about irony,this little ditti is actually my fav from the marvelettes....that first verse is a killer[a closet full of gladrags all tucked away in a pad that's swawk].

I've gotta agree with you, arr&bee. The Marvelettes' "You're The One" is one of my all-time favorites of theirs. And it's one of The Marvelettes' sexiest records ever! Written & Produced by Smokey, the interplay between Earl Van Dyke's organ, Wanda's wispy, seductive lead vocal, and The Andantes' playful back-up vocals proved to be one sexy ride! I wish it had been a hit for them. I guess people found it too similar to "Don't Mess With Bill.

The B-side to Martha & The Vandella's song My Baby Loves Me, Never Leave Your Baby's Side never made it onto an album.

Fun thread, Jobucats! A few more off the top of my head are:

Martha & The Vandellas - "I Tried" [[B-side of "I Can't Dance To That Music Your Playing")

Stevie Wonder - "Why Don't You Lead Me To Love" [[B-side of "Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day")

Four Tops - "Your Love Is Wonderful" [[B-side of "Walk Away Renee)

The Supremes - "All I Know About You" [[B-side of "The Happening"

P.J. [[Patty Jerome) - "T.L.C. [[Tender Loving Care)" b/w "It Takes A Man To Teach A Woman How To Love" [[1971 Tamla 45)

Here's yet another one; Syreeta's "Harmour Love". Released in 1975, it was the last song Syreeta came out with that was written & produced by Stevie Wonder.

Here are two from The Spinners that were 'non LP singles'; "Message From A Black Man" & "We'll Have It Made" both from 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    yep,talk about irony,this little ditti is actually my fav from the marvelettes....that first verse is a killer[a closet full of gladrags all tucked away in a pad that's swawk].
    Arr&bee, this is one that grew on me over time. I wasn't knocked out by it for the longest time. But gradually, I stopped thinking of it as a fair rehash of "Don't Mess With Bill" and more on its own merits. I gotta admit, that first line really is a killer and only Wanda could have made this song drip with sex appeal. The ONE line though that chills me is how Wanda sings "I don't have to come out and say my choice/you can tell by the SOUND of my voi-i-i-i-ccccce. Wanda had a way of luxuriating on certain words and when she does it on the word "voice", that does it for me.

"Purple Raindrops", the flip of "Uptight" by Stevie Wonder.

The Four Tops So Deep Within You
    Review in Blues and Soul said it was a dud and not even worth putting on an album.

I actually liked it. I had it on an compilation LP called The Motown Sound Vol. 2
    Last edited by Mondeo; 10-24-2021 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    Tammi Terrell's "There Are Things" is the B side of M-1115 and did not appear on the "Irresistible" LP. I'm sure it's one of the reasons this 45 is so difficult to find.
    Darin
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  21.1 KB
    Motown1115 was recalled, which is why it was so difficult to find. It DID get into a few shops and had a small amount of sales. But, I tried desperately to get it for a long time, when it first came out and couldn't get it through a record store either in Chicago or L.A. Maybe it only escaped to a distributor and a few shops in Detroit? I eventually got it, a few years later,in a trade with a collector/dealer.

Barbara McNair "You're Gonna Love My Baby"
    Billy Eckstine "I Wonder Why"

THE ORIGINALS - "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose" -- never made it past the 45 release. Pity, as I love that record. Sadly, it still hasn't seen a CD release, along with 4 other Originals LPs [["Naturally Together", "Definitions", "Games People Play", and "Communique") At this stage of the game, I fear that we may never see a CD release for any of them.

THE ORIGINALS - "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose" -- never made it past the 45 release. Pity, as I love that record. Sadly, it still hasn't seen a CD release, along with 4 other Originals LPs [["Naturally Together", "Definitions", "Games People Play", and "Communique") At this stage of the game, I fear that we may never see a CD release for any of them.

SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATE. CAN'T GET RID OF IT. IT WON''T DELETE!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-24-2021 at 10:26 PM.

Simple Game - Four Tops

This big UK hit only made onto a double [[I think UK only) album called Four Tops Story which was effectively a Greatest Hits compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    As I was listening to the Four Tops “You Keep Running Away,” I was reminded that this is a single that was not on a regular album. By ‘regular’ I mean an album that usually showcased a group or artists’ latest single[[s) along with otheer album fillers. Yes, I am aware that it may have appeared on some other compilation like a greatest hits album, etc. Offhand, I can only think of two other singles that were not on a regular album: Supremes’ “The Happening and the Ross/Richie pairing of “Endless Love.” I especially don’t understand why Running Away or The Happening did not make it on a regular album. I am sere there are other examples.
    Man, I just reread my thread post and saw so many errors. 'otheer album fillers' should be 'other album fillers'. 'I am sere' should be 'I am sure.' There are a couple of other minor errors like 'on' instead of 'onto' and some missing punctation. My apologies...I should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondeo View Post
    The Four Tops So Deep Within You
    Review in Blues and Soul said it was a dud and not even worth putting on an album.

I actually liked it. I had it on an compilation LP called The Motown Sound Vol. 2
    It's a great track that places the Tops in a different but very effective musical context.

Thanks for all the updates WWLFAC. I know about the Both Sides Now site and they are an excellent source to check out on album releases [and record company histories as well]. And yes, Motown would have catalog numbers made up for planned releases and either cancel them or use them later on.

PS: One more thing; there's another true stereo version of The Marvelettes' "Please Mr. Postman" and it's on The Motown Box collection from 2005. It's longer than the single version and includes both the "don't pass me by" & "deliver de letter" lyrics towards the end of the song.

Glad you 'couldn't stay away' WWLFAC.

Wasn't the first LP reissue of the "Please Mr. Postman" album from the mid 80s in true stereo? I always thought it was. At the time, I had it on both cassette and LP. As I recall, the cassette was labeled as being in Stereo though the LP was a straight reissue of the original album and didn't indicate either way.

Not quite the right answer for the intended, but "My Heart Can't Take It No More" by the Supremes was released as a single in February of '63 but didn't show up on an LP until COUNTRY WESTERN AND POP two years later, in February of '65.

Forgot to bring these two up; Marvin Gaye's B-side single versions of "God Is Love" and "Sad Tomorrows" were non LP songs. Both of these would appear in different versions on his classic What's Going On LP [with "Sad Tomorrows" renamed as "Flyin' High In The Friendly Sky"].

Beauty's only skin deep..only appears on the greatest hits lp.

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' "Promise Me" [the B-side of "The Tears Of A Clown"] never made it onto an LP.