[REMOVE ADS]

Thelma Houston - "No One's Gonna Be A Fool Forever" live!

If only everything could be this good - I've just loved this song by Thelma Houston since I saw her sing it live in 1972. Now I'm in heaven seeing this live video of "No One's Gonna Be A Fool Forever". Yes I know Miss Ross did it too later on but no one beats Thelma on this one brilliant as Miss Ross certainly is. I love the horns and I love Thelma, so there!

Love it, thanks for posting.

Thank you Mystery very classy. Would you know from which show it came?

I like it. But I like the Diana Ross version more. There is a buildup on the Diana Ross’ version. Thelma’s seems like it started in the middle of the song. The arrangement is better on Diana Ross’ song IMO.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 04-05-2021 at 01:57 AM.

This was the first release on the MoWest label here in the UK. I've always liked this single, and was disappointed when it failed to enter the charts. I don't recall ever hearing it on the radio, and as Thelma was not a well known artist, without airplay it was hardly likely to create a winning streak for her.

Thanks for finding this performance. I also like the way that the audience behaved. None of the screaming, yelling, whistling, shouting at the end of the performance. Just modest applause. Much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Thank you Mystery very classy. Would you know from which show it came?
    Not sure but obviously a US show given that it was 1971 - the song wasn't released UK until October 1972.

Thanks Mystery, usually I could recognise the host but not on this occasion.

Hi all, I do recognize the host. It's Willem Duys, a Dutch presenter. So I'm sure this was on Dutch TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willem_Duys

Here are some assumptions:
    He hosted between 1963-1979 the first talkshow on Dutch TV and if I look closely to the his set I'm pretty sure Thelma was on his talk show, although I can't see the famous goldfishbowl on is desk. Can't determine if it was 1971 or 1972. His regular band leader on the show was Tonny Eijk, but it wasn't this conductor because Tonny is famous for his curly hair. I must assume the band is "Metropool Orkest", a leading Dutch orchestra for pop and jazz. They often worked for TV.

A second assumption I'm making is that the late, great Pete Felleman is to thank for this, and many other, Motown performances and releases in the Netherlands. Pete was, from 1962 to 1969 the Motownlabel manager for the Benelux, making the Netherlands the first county outside the US where the records where sold under the Motown Label. In 1969 Motown became to big and they moved the distribution from Artone to EMI, until 1978 he was promoted to coordinator Motown for Europe.

The Dutch Motown releases are much sought after because of this and especially the picture sleeves.

Maybe Jaap or Jack020 can chime in and confirm or add?

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    This was the first release on the MoWest label here in the UK. I've always liked this single, and was disappointed when it failed to enter the charts. I don't recall ever hearing it on the radio, and as Thelma was not a well known artist, without airplay it was hardly likely to create a winning streak for her.

Thanks for finding this performance. I also like the way that the audience behaved. None of the screaming, yelling, whistling, shouting at the end of the performance. Just modest applause. Much better.
    I think the song did get a few plays on UK radio, I've been quite familiar with the song since the early '70s and I could have only heard it on the radio. I remember that a couple of years earlier her version of "Jumping Jack Flash" had had heavy airplay on Radio One so she would have had a following of sorts.

Of course I agree that, without massive airplay, the song really needed to be by someone much better known to have really broken through to become a big UK hit.

Roger

Many thanks 1328hitsville for your expert knowledge.

I remember hearing it on the radio and I'm pretty sure she appeared on TOTP not long after the song was released. Thelma was touring the UK with the Four Tops at the time. From buying the single I then bought the LP with it on and soon got hold of "Sunshower" which I still adore. The sad thing is NOGBAFF did nothing and it's such a great record by Thelma. Conversely, much as I was pleased that Thelma had a huge hit with "Don't Leave Me This Way" later, I was much fonder of Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes original.

Great that you guys are able to fill in such detail - re the Dutch connection et al. Thanks for your input.

Thelma's version of "No One's Gonna Be A Fool Forever" transferred from studio recording to live performance beautifully. The orchestra backing her up was indeed impressive! As good as Thelma's version is, however, Diana's version is the one I grew to know and love first. Diana's is also a bit more laid back, which I prefer, and it boasts back-up singers which make Diana's the preferred version for me. Still, Thelma's version was certainly good enough to have been a hit 45 for MoWest. Where I lived, it got no radio play, yet Tom Clay's "What The World Needs Now Is Love" did. [[Not a complaint! I loved that one, too, thanks to the excellent back-up vocals.)