[REMOVE ADS]

Cliff Richard and ...

THE SHADOWS "Do You Wanna Dance". Imagine this in front of hundreds of screaming fans.

The bass player behind Cliff is Brian "Licorice" Locking. He was only with The Shadows for approximately 18 months but came back occasionally to fill in. Brian was in the movie "Summer Holiday" and was a friend of the family. He lived not far from me but died last year - my sister was able to go to his funeral. Brian was also a good friend to The Shadows community which is a thriving scene in the UK [[playing and singing with live bands and/or backing tracks) and he supported many events - even playing at my brother-in-law's 60th Birthday party a few years ago. The other Shadows in the clip - Bruce Welch on rhythm, Hank Marvin on lead and Brian Bennett on drums.

SOULICIOUS - The album and the tour

Songs on the album were produced by Lamont Dozier and Nickolas Ashford and Valeries Simpson

01 Cliff Richard & Freda Payne - Saving A Life
    Music By, Lyrics By – Beau Dozier, Joshua Scott
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:08

02 Cliff Richard & Dennis Edwards & The Temptations Review Go On And Tell Him
    Music By, Lyrics By – Beau Dozier
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:54

03 Cliff Richard & Brenda Holloway Do You Ever
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 5:03

04 Cliff Richard & Candi Staton Teardrops
    Music By, Lyrics By – Zekkariyas
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:27

05 Cliff Richard & Roberta Flack When I Was Your Baby
    Music By, Lyrics By – Nickolas Ashford, Valerie Simpson, Michael Mc Donald
    Producer – Nickolas Ashford & Valerie Simpson 5:06

06 Cliff Richard & Deniece Williams Are You Feeling Me
    Music By, Lyrics By – Jud Mahoney, Lamont Dozier
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:21

07 Cliff Richard & Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr. Oh How Happy
    Music By, Lyrics By – Edwin Starr
    Music By, Lyrics By [Additional Music & Lyrics] – Lamont Dozier
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 3:36

08 Cliff Richard & Valerie Simpson Every Piece Of My Broken Heart
    Music By, Lyrics By – Beau Dozier, James Burney
    Producer – Nickolas Ashford & Valerie Simpson 3:55

09 Cliff Richard & Russell Thompkins, Jr. & The New Stylistics How We Get Down
    Music By, Lyrics By – Beau Dozier, Bruce Boniface, Lamont Dozier
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:00

10 Cliff Richard & Candi Staton This Time With You
    Music By, Lyrics By, Producer – Lamont Dozier 3:56

11 Cliff Richard Don't Say You Love Me [[It'll Ruin My Day)
    Music By, Lyrics By – Andre Henry
    Producer – Nickolas Ashford & Valerie Simpson 3:14

12 Cliff Richard & Dennis Edwards & The Temptations Review* & Lamont Dozier She Looked Good
    Music By, Lyrics By, Producer – Lamont Dozier 3:49

13 Cliff Richard & Percy Sledge I'm Your Puppet
    Music By, Lyrics By – Dan Penn, Dewey Lindon Oldham
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:03

14 –Cliff Richard Featuring Billy Paul Always And Forever
    Music By, Lyrics By – Cary Gilbert, Leon Huff, Kenneth Gamble, Rod Temperton
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:59

15 Cliff Richard & Peabo Bryson Birds Of A Feather
    Music By, Lyrics By – Nickolas Ashford, Valerie Simpson, Michael McDonald

Sorry about the robotic speach ....

SOULICIOUS - The songs preview ...

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    SOULICIOUS - The album and the tour

Songs on the album were produced by Lamont Dozier and Nickolas Ashford and Valeries Simpson

01 Cliff Richard & Freda Payne - Saving A Life
    Music By, Lyrics By – Beau Dozier, Joshua Scott
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:08

02 Cliff Richard & Dennis Edwards & The Temptations Review Go On And Tell Him
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:54

03 Cliff Richard & Brenda Holloway Do You Ever
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 5:03

04 Cliff Richard & Candi Staton Teardrops
    Music By, Lyrics By – Zekkariyas
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:27

05 Cliff Richard & Roberta Flack When I Was Your Baby
    Music By, Lyrics By – Nickolas Ashford, Valerie Simpson, Michael Mc Donald
    Producer – Nickolas Ashford & Valerie Simpson 5:06

06 Cliff Richard & Deniece Williams Are You Feeling Me
    Music By, Lyrics By – Jud Mahoney, Lamont Dozier
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:21

07 Cliff Richard & Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr. Oh How Happy
    Music By, Lyrics By – Edwin Starr
    Music By, Lyrics By [Additional Music & Lyrics] – Lamont Dozier
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 3:36

08 Cliff Richard & Valerie Simpson Every Piece Of My Broken Heart
    Music By, Lyrics By – Beau Dozier, James Burney

09 Cliff Richard & Russell Thompkins, Jr. & The New Stylistics How We Get Down
    Music By, Lyrics By – Beau Dozier, Bruce Boniface, Lamont Dozier
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:00

10 Cliff Richard & Candi Staton This Time With You
    Music By, Lyrics By, Producer – Lamont Dozier 3:56

11 Cliff Richard Don't Say You Love Me [[It'll Ruin My Day)
    Music By, Lyrics By – Andre Henry
    Producer – Nickolas Ashford & Valerie Simpson 3:14

12 Cliff Richard & Dennis Edwards & The Temptations Review* & Lamont Dozier She Looked Good
    Music By, Lyrics By, Producer – Lamont Dozier 3:49

13 Cliff Richard & Percy Sledge I'm Your Puppet
    Music By, Lyrics By – Dan Penn, Dewey Lindon Oldham
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:03

14 –Cliff Richard Featuring Billy Paul Always And Forever
    Music By, Lyrics By – Cary Gilbert, Leon Huff, Kenneth Gamble, Rod Temperton
    Producer – Lamont Dozier 4:59

15 Cliff Richard & Peabo Bryson Birds Of A Feather
    Music By, Lyrics By – Nickolas Ashford, Valerie Simpson, Michael McDonald

Sorry about the robotic speach ....

I have this album, but i have to confess to having never actually played it.
    Perhaps i should rectify that.

THE SHADOWS "Do You Wanna Dance". Imagine this in front of hundreds of screaming fans.

The bass player behind Cliff is Brian "Licorice" Locking. He was only with The Shadows for approximately 18 months but came back occasionally to fill in. Brian was in the movie "Summer Holiday" and was a friend of the family. He lived not far from me but died last year - my sister was able to go to his funeral. Brian was also a good friend to The Shadows community which is a thriving scene in the UK [[playing and singing with live bands and/or backing tracks) and he supported many events - even playing at my brother-in-law's 60th Birthday party a few years ago. The other Shadows in the clip - Bruce Welch on rhythm, Hank Marvin on lead and Brian Bennett on drums.

How cool it was that Brian was a personal friend of your family, mysterysinger, and that your sister was able to attend his funeral! No wonder you know so much about Cliff Richard and his associates!

[BLUEBROCK - "I have this album, but i have to confess to having never actually played it. Perhaps i should rectify that."

By all means, Bluebrock. I'm anxious to hear which track[[s) is/are your favorite[[s). My fave is Cliff & Freda Payne - "Saving A Life".

How cool it was that Brian was a personal friend of your family, mysterysinger, and that your sister was able to attend his funeral! No wonder you know so much about Cliff Richard and his associates!

To be honest it's only within the last 20 years or so that he became a friend - prior to that he was simply a famous member of the Shadows. I grew up listening to Cliff etc - along with the likes of Elvis, Bobby Vee, Johnny Tillotson, Ronettes etc then The Beatles, Hollies etc. I didn't really get into Motown until around 1970.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-04-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Cliff Richard is to soul what Cardi B is to music!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Cliff Richard is to soul what Cardi B is to music!
    Music doesn't have to be black to be soulful. If you don't like Cliff's music, don't listen to it.

I've never heard of Cardi B but I wouldn't class Cliff as a soul singer - pop music all the way - good feeling music for the most part and back then quite exciting and it got the attention of the girls - even at an early age I kinda liked that idea. He still has a large fan base as do The Shads.

I particularly like his 60s melodic records - "Do You Wanna Dance" has to be Cliff for me rather than Bobby Freeman which I never heard till much later on. But the tendency here was for the girls to like Cliff whereas the lads preferred The Shadows. As a singer I'll sing Cliff, also some of The Shadows vocal tunes but there's no way I can play guitar like Hank! Motown isn't only about soul nor only black nor even only American. It is what it is and to me there's something for everyone.

Mystery, I was really surprised to learn that you didn''t discover Motown until 1970. You've always presented yourself as highly knowledgeable and a completist collector, as am I. You must have worked like hell to learn and accummulate a decade's worth of Motown in one gigantic fell swoop, whereas most of us lived it -- one day and one Motown release at a time -- throughout the '60s.

He was responsible imho for two of the great English rock n` roll songs: "Move It" and "Nine Times Out Of Ten". Hank Marvin is living in Perth Western Australia and is an acquaintance of my brother in law. I saw him perform a while ago on his Django Reinhardt tour. The Shadows were responsible for most English lads buying guitars.

Hank makes it all look so easy. Overall though they all seem to appreciate their following - especially the UK based members/former members who often attend get togethers such as Shadowmania. There are Shadows Clubs in various parts of the country.

Mystery, I was really surprised to learn that you didn''t discover Motown until 1970. You've always presented yourself as highly knowledgeable and a completist collector, as am I. You must have worked like hell to learn and accummulate a decade's worth of Motown in one gigantic fell swoop, whereas most of us lived it -- one day and one Motown release at a time -- throughout the '60s.

When I get into something, I get into something lol. At that time many of the now rare albums were still available to buy but spends wouldn't stretch to too many. I bought Freda Payne's "Contact" in preference to Chris Clark's "Soul Sounds" [[99p each) not knowing anyy better back then. Of course I've collected them all and sold them all twice over and now concentrate on CDs. I don't have much vinyl at all now.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-05-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    [BLUEBROCK - "I have this album, but i have to confess to having never actually played it. Perhaps i should rectify that."

By all means, Bluebrock. I'm anxious to hear which track[[s) is/are your favorite[[s). My fave is Cliff & Freda Payne - "Saving A Life".
    I will dig it out and give it a listen. I picked a brand new copy up from a charity shop for only £1. I could not turn that down!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I will dig it out and give it a listen. I picked a brand new copy up from a charity shop for only £1. I could not turn that down!
    Sure can't argue with that, Blue! It was your lucky day!

I like Soulicious a lot. Some songs I can't distinguish the guest...Dennis and the Temptations. Also sometimes Cliff's voice is too affected or automated and I think it takes away from the musicality and forces the focus on weird voice.

When I get into something, I get into something lol. At that time many of the now rare albums were still available to buy but spends wouldn't stretch to too many. I bought Freda Payne's "Contact" in preference to Chris Clark's "Soul Sounds" [[99p each) not knowing anyy better back then. Of course I've collected them all and sold them all twice over and now concentrate on CDs. I don't have much vinyl at all now.
    Yeah, me, too. When I set my mind to something, I go whole hog, as they say, with a passion.

As far as choosing Freda's LP over Chris Clark, you can't blame yourself. At the time, who knew?

As long as we're playing "True Confessions", I think I can top that one. On Friday, November 23, 1963 -- the day that President Kennedy was assassinated, I went into town that night, shopping with my parents and my sister. In Grant's department store, I had to choose between the LPs "A Christmas Gift For You From Philles Records" and Paul & Paula's "Holiday For Teens" LP. Even though I was only 12 at the time, I'm too ashamed to admit which one I chose!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah, me, too. When I set my mind to something, I go whole hog, as they say, with a passion.

As far as choosing Freda's LP over Chris Clark, you can't blame yourself. At the time, who knew?

As long as we're playing "True Confessions", I think I can top that one. On Friday, November 23, 1963 -- the day that President Kennedy was assassinated, I went into town that night, shopping with my parents and my sister. In Grant's department store, I had to choose between the LPs "A Christmas Gift For You From Philles Records" and Paul & Paula's "Holiday For Teens" LP. Even though I was only 12 at the time, I'm too ashamed to admit which one I chose!

hee hee.

I'm sure you enjoyed the heck out of it .

Boogie, I did -- and I still feel guilty about it! Ha!!!

Always liked Cliff, and loved the Soulicious album. He also toured with some of the acts which was an enjoyable show.

My first 45 was Cliff's Summer Holiday!