[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favorite ex: Temptation Solo Record

For me, a close call between David Ruffin's 'Walk Away From Love' and this one; 'Don't Look Any Further' wins, for today at least ...

Mine is by David Ruffin ----- HEAVY LOVE - Motown 1388.

There is a YouTube version, but I am not that technical oriented on how to post it here. Maybe someone else could post it. Thanks. There is also a discogs version.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Mine is by David Ruffin ----- HEAVY LOVE - Motown 1388.

There is a YouTube version, but I am not that technical oriented on how to post it here. Maybe someone else could post it. Thanks. There is also a discogs version.

I bought David's MY WHOLE WORLD ENDED album out of a $1.99 cut-out bin. I wasn't a fan at all but there was nothing else there and I didn't want to leave empty-handed. I figured if nothing else, since it was a Motown album there would be a nice inner-sleeve inside. But I did end up liking the album and this song always stuck out for me.

Love the above choices. Here’s my vote:

I confess that I bought this one because the 45 actually came in one of those old Motown 45 sleeves from the late 60s. No idea why but it was enough to make me buy the single which did end up becoming a favorite.

This one is easy...can i[eddie kendricks].

For me, three David songs are pretty much interchangeable. The already mentioned Walk Away From Love and My Whole World Ended, plus I've Lost Everything I've Ever Loved. I never really got into either Eddie or Dennis as a solo artist, although both were great within the group.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Love the above choices. Here’s my vote:

That's one great record. Redd, Hedwig & Crossley [['Formerly The Harlettes') did a great version as their live show closer.

Good Question PNH. My favorite ex-Temptation solo record is Eddie Kendricks' "Girl You Need A Change Of Mind".

Here is my favorite Eddie solo track:

I love the double CD "One By One"
    with 35 tracks solo work of David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Dennis Edwards, & Paul Williams Sr.

edafan

This Used to be the Home of Johnnie Mae and Can I. Love them both equally! Eddie Kendricks

Eddie all the way... https://youtu.be/rV2Xcu-Krbw

All the above have 'energized' me to re-explore this wonderful singer's recordings. A quick [[VERY quick ...) look at Kendricks' Wikipedia page surprised me, in that Eddie's solo singles largely did not chart nearly as high as I would have expected, on both the general charts and the R&B charts. I'm in the NYC-metro area so perhaps airplay was skewed, but my recollection is that 'If You Let Me', 'Girl, You Need A Change Of Mind', and 'Goin' Up In Smoke' had big presence on R&B radio. Great records all, and classics in my mind! Eddie, you sure did make some great solo records that lots of us love!

Honorable mention—and I mean high honors:

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I confess that I bought this one because the 45 actually came in one of those old Motown 45 sleeves from the late 60s. No idea why but it was enough to make me buy the single which did end up becoming a favorite.

Video unavailable in UK, so I don't know which track you've chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

This one also won't play in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    This one also won't play in the UK.
    HAPPY from his THE HIT MAN album.

Good topic.

David Ruffin:
    1. My Whole World Ended
    2. Walk Away From Love
    3. Heavy Love
    4. You're My Peace Of Mind

Eddie Kendricks:
    1. Keep On Truckin'
    2. Boogie Down
    3. Goin' Up In Smoke
    4. He's A Friend

I have to watch this video every so often. never fails to put a smile on my face. getting harder to find with the glut that is now YouTube, but thankfully it survives 15 years now !!!

the kind of video that reminds you that life is good!!...

I only recently heard that song on Sirius XM and I would say it is one of Eddie's better tracks.

Where do you find that two-CD set mentioned above? I have never seen or even heard of it. "One by One" or whatever??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I have to watch this video every so often. never fails to put a smile on my face. getting harder to find with the glut that is now YouTube, but thankfully it survives 15 years now !!!

the kind of video that reminds you that life is good!!...
    Saw this several years ago and thought it was gone. This is priceless, those guys are having such a good time with the song.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Where do you find that two-CD set mentioned above? I have never seen or even heard of it. "One by One" or whatever??
    I didn't check amazon or ebay but Discogs has several for sale. Pricing varies of course and different countries.
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?ma...=1022538&ev=mb

The Unreleased David Ruffini CD David, from Hip O Select was a fantastic CD, if Motown had released this when recorded it would of kept his solo career on track

I have a total of 3 Hip-O-Select sets by the great David Ruffin.

The Great David Ruffin, the Motown solo albums, Volume 1. Included are My Whole World Ended; Feeling Good; David Ruffin; and Me 'n' Rock and Roll Are Here to Stay. 2005 Limited Edition

The Great David Ruffin, the Motown solo albums, Volume 2. Included are Who I Am; Everything's Coming Up Love; In My Stride; and 13 bonus tracks, Motown Lost and Found, previously unreleased. 2006 Limited Edition

DAVID [[original unreleased LP) which includes the 12 songs originally planned; and 7 bonus tracks and 4 mono single mixes. 2004 Limited Edition

A rather good investment if I must say so. You don't come by them every day.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    The Unreleased David Ruffini CD David, from Hip O Select was a fantastic CD, if Motown had released this when recorded it would of kept his solo career on track
    I deeply regret that I did not get a copy of that when it was available. I'm happy to hear that it's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post

It is a Motown product "Anthology Series" The Temptations "One By One" copyright Motown Record Co. 1996 L.P. Compilation Produced by Amy Herot. Executive Producer Candace Bond Mastered by Erick Labson at MCA Music Media Studios No. Hollywood CA

try contacting MCA or any of these people to see if you can get a copy.

Good luck

edafan

I remember purchasing it at Media Play for the unreleased Paul Williams tracks. I fondly remember the exhilaration of purchasing a physical disc in a physical store and rushing home to play it..

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I deeply regret that I did not get a copy of that when it was available. I'm happy to hear that it's a good one.
    I didn't get one when it was available and it took me years to find a used copy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    I remember purchasing it at Media Play for the unreleased Paul Williams tracks. I fondly remember the exhilaration of purchasing a physical disc in a physical store and rushing home to play it..
    Media Play: Boy, you bring back fond memories. In Harrisburg, PA there was a MP and they had thousands and thousands of CDs. I could spend hours in there looking through the inventory. We just don't have stores like that any longer, do we? The store was well organized and sold other items besides CDs. Bring back Media Play.............

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Media Play: Boy, you bring back fond memories. In Harrisburg, PA there was a MP and they had thousands and thousands of CDs. I could spend hours in there looking through the inventory. We just don't have stores like that any longer, do we? The store was well organized and sold other items besides CDs. Bring back Media Play.............
    Woodward, back in the '90s, we had a Media Play in Rochester, NY -- right down the street from where I worked. I used to go over there during my lunch break, or sometimes after work, to shop for CDs. I loved that place. Only a few days ago, I was thinking about that store, but couldn't think of its name to save me. Thanks for reminding me of Media Play. [[Thanks to you as well, Motown4Ever518!)

https://youtu.be/vKNjjoNOpHI
    Let Somebody Love Me. I doubt there will ever be a better soul singer. He truly had a gift. He completely channels emotion.

The best non-temps record is the cool[i couldn't believe it]from the[ruffin-kendricks]lp-this one has the temps sound all over over it,and had they stayed this one could've been big.

David Ruffin "You Can Come Right Back To Me"
    Dennis Edwards "I Thought I Could Handle It"
    Eddie Kendricks "Intimate Friends"

I'm not really a fan of the recorded version of "[[If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right", but David's performance on this TV show is one of the greatest things I've ever seen:

There are so many great songs by Eddie & David with so many to choose from, however for me it is the Paul Williams song "I Feel Like Giving Up" incredible song and so tragic at the time, sadly it was never issued until 2019, [[along with the planned B side "Once You Had A Heart") just great to hear him sing solo, with both tracks available for everyone. What a group the Temps were!

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...like+giving+up
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-03-2021 at 04:16 AM.

Let me try one of these....

David: On and Off
    Walk Away From Love
    Statue Of A Fool

Eddie: Just Memories
    Girl Of My Dreams
    Honey Brown

all subject to change with each passing day...

Have always loved David's "My Whole World Ended". Creditable also are "The Rovin' Kind" by David, "If You Let Me" and "Johnnie Mae" by Eddie and "Feel Like Giving Up" by Paul Williams.

Here's "One By One". https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...7718363014503/

I purchased mine at Media Play when it was released in1995-ish, primarily because of the 2 up until then, Paul Williams solo songs. I would source the usual suspects, Amazon, EBay etc.for a used copy.

I absolutely love this unreleased song by Paul Williams, I need You More Than Ever.

https://youtu.be/HLQGWOAcqJk

I would have to say that my favorite solo effort by former members of The Temptations would be David Ruffin's three Van McCoy-produced albums --"Who I Am", "Everything's Coming Up Love", and "In My Stride".

[QUOTE=Graham Jarvis;624088]There are so many great songs by Eddie & David with so many to choose from, however for me it is the Paul Williams song "I Feel Like Giving Up" incredible song and so tragic at the time, sadly it was never issued until 2019, [[along with the planned B side "Once You Had A Heart") just great to hear him sing solo, with both tracks available for everyone. What a group the Temps were!

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...like+giving+up[/QUOTEW

Weren't these both on the One By One set released in '96 ?

[QUOTE=paul_nixon;647682]
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    There are so many great songs by Eddie & David with so many to choose from, however for me it is the Paul Williams song "I Feel Like Giving Up" incredible song and so tragic at the time, sadly it was never issued until 2019, [[along with the planned B side "Once You Had A Heart") just great to hear him sing solo, with both tracks available for everyone. What a group the Temps were!

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...like+giving+up[/QUOTEW

Weren't these both on the One By One set released in '96 ?
    yes

edafan

i’m always surprised that eddie kendrick’s third self-titled album isn’t more universally cared for. it includes one of my favorite motown songs of all time, the frank wilson wriiten & produced “daring, come back home.” that song has always rocked for me. eddie is in fine form. why no love?

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    i’m always surprised that eddie kendrick’s third self-titled album isn’t more universally cared for. it includes one of my favorite motown songs of all time, the frank wilson wriiten & produced “daring, come back home.” that song has always rocked for me. eddie is in fine form. why no love?
    I agree with you
    Darling Come Back Home made #67 & #26 R & B

edafan

i didn't want to make a new thread on this topic, but i think dennis edwards' "don't look any further" is extremely underrated.

it seems paul jackson jr, aka PJJ, was the driving force behind this album. so many nice licks all over the album. it's quite the showcase of his skills.

My favorite ex=Temp song is the one that is almost never mentioned:

Get The Cream Off The Top

This would be followed closely by

Just Let Me Hold You For A Night
    Don't Look Any Further