[REMOVE ADS]

Atlantic Starr "Always: The Warner/Reprise Recordings 1987-1991" 3CD box set

Releasedate May 28,2021

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...d3814b0e3ef437

Description
    Already established as consistent hit-makers and dynamic live performers, Atlantic Starr – formed in 1976 in upstate New York, with a nucleus of three brothers, Jonathan, David and Wayne Lewis – were riding the quest of a wave of success in 1986 with the pop/R&B single ‘Secret Lovers’ from the certified-gold LP “As The Band Turns” for A&M Records. The record’s success occurred just as the group – slimmed down from its original nine-member line-up to a quintet included the Lewis brothers, longtime member Joseph ‘Joey’ Phillips and new female lead singer, Barbara Weathers – had negotiated a new recording contract with Warner Brothers Records.

SoulMusic Records is proud to present a 3-CD deluxe box set consisting of the two albums the group cut for Warner Brothers, 1987’s ALL IN THE NAME OF LOVE, the 1989 set WE’RE MOVIN’ ON and LOVE CRAZY, a third LP recorded for the Warners imprint, Reprise Records in 1991, all with primary production by David & Wayne Lewis, and co-production by Jonathan Lewis. Extensive liner notes from renowned UK-based writer Charles Waring include new quotes from Jonathan Lewis and Rachel Oliver-Cobbin [[the female lead vocalist for the Reprise album), stellar mastering from Nick Robbins and great artwork from Roger Williams make this reissue [[produced by SoulMusic.com founder David Nathan) a ‘must have’ for Atlantic Starr’s global audience.

Disc 1 is an expanded edition of ALL IN THE NAME OF LOVE, a US-certified gold LP that includes the now-timeless classic ‘Always’, a No. 1 pop and R&B single for the group, their biggest crossover hit and an international best-seller which reached No. 3 on the UK charts. Other standout tracks include the upbeat ‘One Lover At A Time’, a US Top 10 R&B single; the album’s title track, a soulful ballad penned by famed songwriter Sam Dees; and, included on an international version of the 1987 CD, ‘Armed And Dangerous’, produced by Maurice White [[of EW&F fame) and recorded by Atlantic Starr for the film of the same name. Bonus tracks consist of extended versions of ‘One Lover At A Time’ [[remixed by Arthur Baker), ‘Let The Sun In’ [[remixed by Bruce Forrester) and single edits of ‘All In The Name Of Love’ and ‘Always’.

Disc 2 consists of an expanded edition of WE’RE MOVIN’ UP, with Porscha Martin replacing Barbara Weathers as lead female vocalist, boasted another Atlantic Starr classic, ‘My First Love’ which topped the US R&B charts in 1989. While the album did not achieve the same level of sales success as its predecessor, notable cuts include ‘My Sugar’ [[a US Top 30 R&B single) and the uptempo ‘Bring It Back Home Again’, represented here with the original LP version and two extended mixes, courtesy of Chicago DJ Joe Smooth. In addition to the single edit and an extended mix of ‘My First Love’, two tracks that were only issued on the CD version of the LP in 1989, ‘Love Ain’t Fair’ and ‘Woman’s Touch’ are also included.

Disc 3 showcases LOVE CRAZY, Atlantic Starr’s sole album for Reprise. By 1991, the group consisted of the three Lewis brothers with female vocalist Rachel Oliver replacing Porscha Martin. The team scored their biggest pop/R&B crossover hit with the certified gold single, ‘Masterpiece’, penned by pop tunesmith Kenny Nolan [[known for hits with Labelle, Frankie Valli and Tavares among others). With ever-changing trends in R&B in particular, the album didn’t achieve the kind of recognition its content deserved with cuts like ‘Unconditional Love’, with an emotive vocal performance by Rachel Oliver and the ballad ‘Lookin’ For Love Again’, co-written by Wayne Lewis and Sam Dees.

Tracklist
    [CD1: All In The Name Of Love [[Expanded Edition)]
    1. One Lover At A Time
    2. You Belong With Me
    3. Females
    4. Don’t Take Me For Granted
    5. Always
    6. Armed And Dangerous [[From The Motion Picture OST “Armed And Dangerous”)
    7. Let The Sun In
    8. Thankful
    9. I’m In Love
    10. All In The Name Of Love
    11. My Mistake
    12. Interlude
    Bonus Tracks:
    13. One Lover At A Time [[Extended Version)
    14. Let The Sun In [[Extended Remix)
    15. All In The Name Of Love [[Single Version)
    16. Always [[Single Edit)

[CD2: We’re Movin’ Up [[Expanded Edition)]
    1. Under Your Spell
    2. Bring It Back Home Again
    3. I’m In Love With You
    4. Don’t Start The Fire
    5. Love Ain’t Fair
    6. My First Love
    7. Woman’s Touch
    8. Friends
    9. We’re Movin’ Up
    10. My Sugar
    11. I Can’t Wait
    12. You Deserve The Best
    Bonus Tracks:
    13. Bring It Back Home Again [[Joe Smooth Extended Mix)
    14 Bring It Back Home Again [[Joe Smooth Underground Mix)
    15. My First Love [[Extended Mix)
    16. My First Love [[7” Edit)

[CD3: Love Crazy]
    1. I Can’t Wait
    2. What’s Good For You
    3. Love Crazy
    4. Hold On
    5. Lookin’ For Love Again
    6. Come Lover
    7. You Hit The Spot
    8. Masterpiece
    9. Girl, Your Love’s So Fine
    10. My Special Lover
    11. Unconditional Love

Name:  517rnlXLceL.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  56.2 KB

Keep em coming!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Releasedate May 28,2021

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...d3814b0e3ef437

Description
    Already established as consistent hit-makers and dynamic live performers, Atlantic Starr – formed in 1976 in upstate New York, with a nucleus of three brothers, Jonathan, David and Wayne Lewis – were riding the quest of a wave of success in 1986 with the pop/R&B single ‘Secret Lovers’ from the certified-gold LP “As The Band Turns” for A&M Records. The record’s success occurred just as the group – slimmed down from its original nine-member line-up to a quintet included the Lewis brothers, longtime member Joseph ‘Joey’ Phillips and new female lead singer, Barbara Weathers – had negotiated a new recording contract with Warner Brothers Records.

SoulMusic Records is proud to present a 3-CD deluxe box set consisting of the two albums the group cut for Warner Brothers, 1987’s ALL IN THE NAME OF LOVE, the 1989 set WE’RE MOVIN’ ON and LOVE CRAZY, a third LP recorded for the Warners imprint, Reprise Records in 1991, all with primary production by David & Wayne Lewis, and co-production by Jonathan Lewis. Extensive liner notes from renowned UK-based writer Charles Waring include new quotes from Jonathan Lewis and Rachel Oliver-Cobbin [[the female lead vocalist for the Reprise album), stellar mastering from Nick Robbins and great artwork from Roger Williams make this reissue [[produced by SoulMusic.com founder David Nathan) a ‘must have’ for Atlantic Starr’s global audience.

Disc 1 is an expanded edition of ALL IN THE NAME OF LOVE, a US-certified gold LP that includes the now-timeless classic ‘Always’, a No. 1 pop and R&B single for the group, their biggest crossover hit and an international best-seller which reached No. 3 on the UK charts. Other standout tracks include the upbeat ‘One Lover At A Time’, a US Top 10 R&B single; the album’s title track, a soulful ballad penned by famed songwriter Sam Dees; and, included on an international version of the 1987 CD, ‘Armed And Dangerous’, produced by Maurice White [[of EW&F fame) and recorded by Atlantic Starr for the film of the same name. Bonus tracks consist of extended versions of ‘One Lover At A Time’ [[remixed by Arthur Baker), ‘Let The Sun In’ [[remixed by Bruce Forrester) and single edits of ‘All In The Name Of Love’ and ‘Always’.

Disc 2 consists of an expanded edition of WE’RE MOVIN’ UP, with Porscha Martin replacing Barbara Weathers as lead female vocalist, boasted another Atlantic Starr classic, ‘My First Love’ which topped the US R&B charts in 1989. While the album did not achieve the same level of sales success as its predecessor, notable cuts include ‘My Sugar’ [[a US Top 30 R&B single) and the uptempo ‘Bring It Back Home Again’, represented here with the original LP version and two extended mixes, courtesy of Chicago DJ Joe Smooth. In addition to the single edit and an extended mix of ‘My First Love’, two tracks that were only issued on the CD version of the LP in 1989, ‘Love Ain’t Fair’ and ‘Woman’s Touch’ are also included.

Disc 3 showcases LOVE CRAZY, Atlantic Starr’s sole album for Reprise. By 1991, the group consisted of the three Lewis brothers with female vocalist Rachel Oliver replacing Porscha Martin. The team scored their biggest pop/R&B crossover hit with the certified gold single, ‘Masterpiece’, penned by pop tunesmith Kenny Nolan [[known for hits with Labelle, Frankie Valli and Tavares among others). With ever-changing trends in R&B in particular, the album didn’t achieve the kind of recognition its content deserved with cuts like ‘Unconditional Love’, with an emotive vocal performance by Rachel Oliver and the ballad ‘Lookin’ For Love Again’, co-written by Wayne Lewis and Sam Dees.

Tracklist
    [CD1: All In The Name Of Love [[Expanded Edition)]
    1. One Lover At A Time
    2. You Belong With Me
    3. Females
    4. Don’t Take Me For Granted
    5. Always
    6. Armed And Dangerous [[From The Motion Picture OST “Armed And Dangerous”)
    7. Let The Sun In
    8. Thankful
    9. I’m In Love
    10. All In The Name Of Love
    11. My Mistake
    12. Interlude
    Bonus Tracks:
    13. One Lover At A Time [[Extended Version)
    14. Let The Sun In [[Extended Remix)
    15. All In The Name Of Love [[Single Version)
    16. Always [[Single Edit)

[CD2: We’re Movin’ Up [[Expanded Edition)]
    1. Under Your Spell
    2. Bring It Back Home Again
    3. I’m In Love With You
    4. Don’t Start The Fire
    5. Love Ain’t Fair
    6. My First Love
    7. Woman’s Touch
    8. Friends
    9. We’re Movin’ Up
    10. My Sugar
    11. I Can’t Wait
    12. You Deserve The Best
    Bonus Tracks:
    13. Bring It Back Home Again [[Joe Smooth Extended Mix)
    14 Bring It Back Home Again [[Joe Smooth Underground Mix)
    15. My First Love [[Extended Mix)
    16. My First Love [[7” Edit)

[CD3: Love Crazy]
    1. I Can’t Wait
    2. What’s Good For You
    3. Love Crazy
    4. Hold On
    5. Lookin’ For Love Again
    6. Come Lover
    7. You Hit The Spot
    8. Masterpiece
    9. Girl, Your Love’s So Fine
    10. My Special Lover
    11. Unconditional Love

Name:  517rnlXLceL.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  56.2 KB
    Interesting release that i will support, but i always preferred their a&m albums, but they are proving more difficult to licence.

I'd have been all over this if it had included the A&M stuff. It's not listed on Amazon as yet but will be interesting see what price it goes for. Personally, I've not heard "love crazy". I binned "we're movin' up" about a month back during a clear up. I did rip it to a hard drive but it never felt like Atlantic Starr to me. I like "all in the name of love" and only have my vinyl copy. I'm borderline at the moment, will depend on price but nice to see them getting a release.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'd have been all over this if it had included the A&M stuff. It's not listed on Amazon as yet but will be interesting see what price it goes for. Personally, I've not heard "love crazy". I binned "we're movin' up" about a month back during a clear up. I did rip it to a hard drive but it never felt like Atlantic Starr to me. I like "all in the name of love" and only have my vinyl copy. I'm borderline at the moment, will depend on price but nice to see them getting a release.
    I shouldn't really be saying this but i am less than enthralled by this release. The albums here are average at best. Beautifully performed and produced of course, but lacking the soulfulness of those excellent a&m recordings.

It looks like it will go for around twenty quid in the UK with Amazon probably shaving a couple off?

Atlantic Starr: Always - The Warner-Reprise Recordings [[1987-1991), 3CD - Cherry Red Records

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I shouldn't really be saying this but i am less than enthralled by this release. The albums here are average at best. Beautifully performed and produced of course, but lacking the soulfulness of those excellent a&m recordings.
    "Circles" is one of my favourite tracks and always makes me smile. "As the band turns" had six tracks I never tired of playing plus "secret lovers" that got them in the charts over here. I also remember "when love calls", "touch a four leaf clover", "love me down" and "perfect love" without having to refer to discogs for guidance.

I found a second hand copy of "All in the name of love" this morning. No bonus tracks but cost me just 4.60 pounds. I still hope the box shifts a few units though.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    "Circles" is one of my favourite tracks and always makes me smile. "As the band turns" had six tracks I never tired of playing plus "secret lovers" that got them in the charts over here. I also remember "when love calls", "touch a four leaf clover", "love me down" and "perfect love" without having to refer to discogs for guidance.

I found a second hand copy of "All in the name of love" this morning. No bonus tracks but cost me just 4.60 pounds. I still hope the box shifts a few units though.
    So do i Danno.
    All in the name of love is the pick of this trio of albums. It's a solid album, but no classic.
    Our chances of getting the a&m albums in a boxset are fairly remote. They did allow an LTD boxset a few years ago, but they usually play hardball during negotiations.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed.

A nice A&M overview is this one:
    Name:  71w97trnFaL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  25.6 KB

Circles / Silver Shadow / Send For Me / Secret Lovers / Love Me Down / When Love Calls / Am Dreaming / Freakaristic / Touch A Four Leaf Clover / Let's Get Closer / If Your Heart Isn't In It / Stand Up

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    A nice A&M overview is this one:
    Name:  71w97trnFaL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  25.6 KB

Circles / Silver Shadow / Send For Me / Secret Lovers / Love Me Down / When Love Calls / Am Dreaming / Freakaristic / Touch A Four Leaf Clover / Let's Get Closer / If Your Heart Isn't In It / Stand Up
    I have that one but there are several essentials tracks missing.