[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    oh that's a fun performance to examine

at 0:50 you'll notice that Diana had moved a bit too far stage right. she quickly glances down and then shifts a little to stage left. my assumption is that she slightly walked passed her mark on the stage floor. she needed to be at the mark so that she'd be lined up for the camera shots when they start the 2nd chorus at 1:04

when Diana walks over to M and F, her pic cord is to stage left of Mary because of Diana's starting stage position. as Diana moved into the middle of the trio, she casually tugs the cord along but without being too overt with it. just gathering up more of the wire so that it's ready for her next stage movement

as Diana centers herself with the trio, i see mary and flo shift slightly while they're dancing in order to allow Diana in. but they can't spread too far apart because they need to be in the close up camera shot at 1:16. if they spread out too far, part of M and F would be cut off. I do see Diana glancing down at the end of the chorus but i don't see anything of a problem. actually i'd guess that she's looking to where her cord is as her left hand had previously been tapping against her hip. so i think she was looking to check where the cord is and start pulling it towards her

during verse 2, while the camera is focused on Diana, mary at some point steps back over the mic cord so that it'll be in front of her and ready for diana's next movement

when they hit the bridge and diana walks away from the group, her cord is now in front and will avoid any tangling under mary's heels

and then of course the wonderful earring scene! lol
    I was always just mesmerized at how amazing this performance was that I never noticed any of the subtle stuff lol. Every single time I see this clip I feel that way especially that shot of Diana slowly walking to join Flo and Mary in the forefront.

I did notice as Diana gets up to them, Flo looks over at her almost as if she forgot Diana was to join them and steps over quickly. Let's be honest here Diana was so skinny she really didn't need that much room to begin with 😄

Also I said earlier that Flo had walking pneumonia for Hollywood Palace but it was actually this Sullivan appearance as she caught while in the Orient I believe and this Sullivan clip was just days after they returned.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I was always just mesmerized at how amazing this performance was that I never noticed any of the subtle stuff lol. Every single time I see this clip I feel that way especially that shot of Diana slowly walking to join Flo and Mary in the forefront.

I did notice as Diana gets up to them, Flo looks over at her almost as if she forgot Diana was to join them and steps over quickly. Let's be honest here Diana was so skinny she really didn't need that much room to begin with ��
    Flo's awkwardness was part of their overall appeal. M and D were just perfect in their stage movements. like perfectly beautiful little wind up dolls. Flo was the folksy personality within the group and that helped make them relatable. she might slightly flub a movement or something.

there's a spot in the ending of the R&H special when the whole cast sings Mountain Greenery together.

Petula walks over the group and holds off the song and when the girls "three crazy people together" Diana makes a goofy movement as does Mary who also points to F and D. Flo looks over and breaks a huge smile. It's such a natural reaction and wonderful. you get a sense that these girls are the best of friends and D and M are having fun hamming it up and Flo giggle at her silly friends.

and at the very end at 1:36, when the Sups do their last line D or M does something again and Flo looks over and smiles. I can't exactly tell what they did but it's definitely noticeable.

I don't think i'd refer to these moments as "breaking character." For me, breaking character would be Flo saying "oh for fuck's sake - shut up!" lolol or being mad or something like that. Flo's character was the down home girl that really was your sister or friend from school. even if she was famous and rich. it was part of the 3 personalities of the original Sups that Mary talks about and how together they created the perfect personality

Florence was nothing short of Supreme when she was in the group/ performing. I doubt anyone looking at her thought she was folksy. I also don’t think anyone watching her thought she wasn’t as smooth as Diana and Mary. Fans nit pick, magnify things, and spin narratives.

Flo's awkwardness was part of their overall appeal. M and D were just perfect in their stage movements. like perfectly beautiful little wind up dolls. Flo was the folksy personality within the group and that helped make them relatable. she might slightly flub a movement or something.

there's a spot in the ending of the R&H special when the whole cast sings Mountain Greenery together.

Petula walks over the group and holds off the song and when the girls "three crazy people together" Diana makes a goofy movement as does Mary who also points to F and D. Flo looks over and breaks a huge smile. It's such a natural reaction and wonderful. you get a sense that these girls are the best of friends and D and M are having fun hamming it up and Flo giggle at her silly friends.

and at the very end at 1:36, when the Sups do their last line D or M does something again and Flo looks over and smiles. I can't exactly tell what they did but it's definitely noticeable.

I don't think i'd refer to these moments as "breaking character." For me, breaking character would be Flo saying "oh for fuck's sake - shut up!" lolol or being mad or something like that. Flo's character was the down home girl that really was your sister or friend from school. even if she was famous and rich. it was part of the 3 personalities of the original Sups that Mary talks about and how together they created the perfect personality
    Sup_fan, did you ever notice at the of when they're doing Lover on that special, Flo looks like she's on the verge of laughing and Diana looks over at her and starts laughing. Almost like there's some inside joke going on that we don't know about lol.

Sup_fan, did you ever notice at the of when they're doing Lover on that special, Flo looks like she's on the verge of laughing and Diana looks over at her and starts laughing. Almost like there's some inside joke going on that we don't know about lol.
    I was just getting ready to mention this. Near the end of MY ROMANCE, when they're singing the line "My most fantastic dreams come true," Flo and Diana seem to be sharing a secret laugh. Not sure what it was about it but it is nice to see those moments because there is always so much concentration on the sad stuff.

There is another short spot at the end of the show when they are singing MOUNTAIN GREENERY. Right at the end of the song, the Supremes are supposed to sing a quick line between those of Bobby Darin and Petula Clark. They do sing it but Flo kinds of gives a smiling look to Diana and Mary that she's amused by something. Again, really small but nice to see.
    Last edited by reese; 04-20-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Florence was nothing short of Supreme when she was in the group/ performing. I doubt anyone looking at her thought she was folksy. I also don’t think anyone watching her thought she wasn’t as smooth as Diana and Mary. Fans nit pick, magnify things, and spin narratives.
    i certainly don't mean it as disparaging. Flo had a relatability even when highly glamorous. fans and writers mention how she was always still approachable even at the height of fan. and her dry sense of humor with her stage lines. she was beautiful and glamorous but still "a regular person" versus an untouchable star

Flo definitely very animated during this program. there's a lot of wonderful group interaction and interplay. again they seem to really be enjoying things. not that they looked dull an listless on other programs. it's just they're even more perky here

i know they'd done a lot of tv by this point but weren't those mostly regularly scheduled programs? sure they did specialty songs on Red Skelton, Dean Martin, Sullivan, etc. But in summer of 66 they seemed to go to the next level.

Wasn't R&H the first tv special they appeared on? so that was a big deal. and in July when they were on Mike Douglas, they were co-hosts. not just guests. and then in Sept they were off to the Orient - the first motown group to travel there. wonder if they knew Berry was hiring the cameraman to film the trip? wasn't that Orient footage intended for a tv special too?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I wonder if we're being trolled. I'll not abide by any poster referencing 'nasty Supremes': each of the Supremes was a talented and determined lady who contributed greatly to American popular culture.

‘’I believe we are, And I believe I know who it is call someone who thinks he’s a far above this forum, but can’t look away. I should’ve recognized his work sooner. I won’t be responding to him anymore.

oh that's a fun performance to examine

at 0:50 you'll notice that Diana had moved a bit too far stage right. she quickly glances down and then shifts a little to stage left. my assumption is that she slightly walked passed her mark on the stage floor. she needed to be at the mark so that she'd be lined up for the camera shots when they start the 2nd chorus at 1:04

when Diana walks over to M and F, her pic cord is to stage left of Mary because of Diana's starting stage position. as Diana moved into the middle of the trio, she casually tugs the cord along but without being too overt with it. just gathering up more of the wire so that it's ready for her next stage movement

as Diana centers herself with the trio, i see mary and flo shift slightly while they're dancing in order to allow Diana in. but they can't spread too far apart because they need to be in the close up camera shot at 1:16. if they spread out too far, part of M and F would be cut off. I do see Diana glancing down at the end of the chorus but i don't see anything of a problem. actually i'd guess that she's looking to where her cord is as her left hand had previously been tapping against her hip. so i think she was looking to check where the cord is and start pulling it towards her

during verse 2, while the camera is focused on Diana, mary at some point steps back over the mic cord so that it'll be in front of her and ready for diana's next movement

when they hit the bridge and diana walks away from the group, her cord is now in front and will avoid any tangling under mary's heels

and then of course the wonderful earring scene! lol
    i’ve always wondered if diana was being directed to move over or if she was off her mark initially but it doesn’t look like it As she is framed perfectly in front of that window- or I think that the lighting wasn’t correct because she moves over where is her face is in for light.

There is certainly a lot to look at here! Of course the earring couch is just the most brilliant thing ever, but I also love how she gets rid of it during her bow. There’s no one like her and there never will be!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    i’ve always wondered if diana was being directed to move over or if she was off her mark initially but it doesn’t look like it As she is framed perfectly in front of that window- or I think that the lighting wasn’t correct because she moves over where is her face is in for light.

There is certainly a lot to look at here! Of course the earring couch is just the most brilliant thing ever, but I also love how she gets rid of it during her bow. There’s no one like her and there never will be!
    i think if Diana had stayed at her spot at 0:48 instead of shifting at 0:50, then she possibly wouldn't have been lined up right for the first group shot. she might have been more hidden by Flo. it wouldn't have been disaster but it would have impacted the moment just the same. And you're right about lighting too. all of this was carefully and clearly planned out during rehearsals so that during the live broadcast it would be perfect.

YCHL is my all time fav Sup song so i've watched this clip a billion times. I got a great quality bootleg vhs tape back in the 90s of every Sup appearance on Sullivan. loved it!

given the amount of times i've watched and examined this clip, it seems to me that this has the most of the little tidbits and nuances like we've discussed. sure there's the Mike Douglas clip where diana messes up the Symphony lyric or when she slips during the tap dance routine later on Sullivan. but this segment has so many little things to notice

I wonder if we're being trolled. I'll not abide by any poster referencing 'nasty Supremes': each of the Supremes was a talented and determined lady who contributed greatly to American popular culture.
    i think we are.. thou whats its supposed to achieve i have no idea..things had been good on here recently I hope it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    i think we are.. thou whats its supposed to achieve i have no idea..things had been good on here recently I hope it stays that way.
    I as well! I'll choose to ignore this member from now on -

I have no intention of re-watching Supremes performances to look for negative shit that I personally don't believe exists. I've said in this forum before, as others have said as well, that it's a testament to the group's professionalism that when things may have been tense backstage, on stage, and when the cameras were rolling, no one would have ever known. However, I'm going to have to pull up the performances of "Hurry", "Lover" and "My Romance" and the others and check out these cute little moments you all have noticed.

In regards to Flo's awkwardness, I've never thought of her as that way or thought she came across that way. But every now and then, of the three of them, she appears to be the one who missteps the choreography more than the other two, and I always attribute that to the fact that it is said that Flo could not dance. Which brings me to some of her moves which, while not out of step with the choreography, are not as rhythmically smooth as the other two. Well shit, I guess that is awkward isn't it? Okay, maybe Sup has a point. [[Ugh, how I hate to say that!)

Of the three of them I've always seen Mary as more of the girl next door. She's bubbly and bouncy, full of life, fun. Flo comes across very regal, as Diana put it. She's the adult in the group, the real woman. There's a fun-ness about her, but also an air of she doesn't get too carried away, like Mary does. She's a woman of the world. And Diana seems to embody them both, with an extra added chicness and, believe it or not, a bit of coyness to her. That's how I see them, anyway.

[QUOTE=RanRan79;620977Well shit, I guess that is awkward isn't it? Okay, maybe Sup has a point. [[Ugh, how I hate to say that!)[/QUOTE]

Haha!!! Victory is mine!!! lololol

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Of the three of them I've always seen Mary as more of the girl next door. She's bubbly and bouncy, full of life, fun. Flo comes across very regal, as Diana put it. She's the adult in the group, the real woman. There's a fun-ness about her, but also an air of she doesn't get too carried away, like Mary does. She's a woman of the world. And Diana seems to embody them both, with an extra added chicness and, believe it or not, a bit of coyness to her. That's how I see them, anyway.
    i see the originals as:

Mary - the prom/beauty queen. the most popular and nice girl on campus with an infectious smile and just likes everyone. her warm contra alto is a smooth and luxurious as her personality. Her smoothness comes through in her perfectly executed choreography. always on the beat and flawless

Flo - statuesque. stately and commanding, especially when she hits those high final notes of a performance with arms up in the air. there's a warmth to her personality which makes her feel like she's a good friend of each and every person in the audience. But her impish smile and sparkle in her eye makes you know that she isn't a little girl. or like in Good News, you KNOW there was a celebration once she and her man were alone.

Diana - the bubbliest personality. those eyes are literally hypnotic. and the most electric smile known to man. all of this combined with her eagerness means she's the shining diamond set against the richest most luxurious backdrop of M and F.

one appearance where Mary dosent look happy at all - "My World Is Empty" on "Anatomy Of Pop"..maybe its just me and shes projecting the mood of the song - if she is shes doing it well..but Ive always thought she was unhappy on this particular taping

one appearance where Mary dosent look happy at all - "My World Is Empty" on "Anatomy Of Pop"..maybe its just me and shes projecting the mood of the song - if she is shes doing it well..but Ive always thought she was unhappy on this particular taping
    You wanna see Mary looking unhappy, watch their Shindig appearance from March 1965. In the three songs they perform, I don't think she smiles once which is unusual for her. This was right before they left for the UK tour and I remember Diana saying they weren't getting along at that time and had to regroup before they left.

Do note there have been more than a few "new" members or ones with very low post counts lately who join conversations as if they've been in them for the last 11 years. I don't think we're in another "dianaross.freeforums.net" situation... yet. Remember that fun?

Haha!!! Victory is mine!!! lololol
    Enjoy it while it lasts.

i see the originals as:

Mary - the prom/beauty queen. the most popular and nice girl on campus with an infectious smile and just likes everyone. her warm contra alto is a smooth and luxurious as her personality. Her smoothness comes through in her perfectly executed choreography. always on the beat and flawless

Flo - statuesque. stately and commanding, especially when she hits those high final notes of a performance with arms up in the air. there's a warmth to her personality which makes her feel like she's a good friend of each and every person in the audience. But her impish smile and sparkle in her eye makes you know that she isn't a little girl. or like in Good News, you KNOW there was a celebration once she and her man were alone.

Diana - the bubbliest personality. those eyes are literally hypnotic. and the most electric smile known to man. all of this combined with her eagerness means she's the shining diamond set against the richest most luxurious backdrop of M and F.
    I imagine if all of us fans wrote down how we viewed each lady, most, if not all, the responses would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Do note there have been more than a few "new" members or ones with very low post counts lately who join conversations as if they've been in them for the last 11 years.
    Yes and it's so obvious. At this point there isn't even a desire to hide it and people interact with them like they don't see it. And they "all" have one thing in common. I believe there's a way of putting a stop to this crap but leadership prefers to let it be. Would be interesting if IPs were banned and see which names never crop up again.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I don't think we're in another "dianaross.freeforums.net" situation... yet. Remember that fun?
    Oh man, I remember that. I googled my screename once and a post in that forum came up that accused you and I of PMing each other to complain about the drama, or something to that effect. Lol

Yes and it's so obvious. At this point there isn't even a desire to hide it and people interact with them like they don't see it. And they "all" have one thing in common.
    Yeah I detected it almost immediately lol and its the hard-core Diana fans [[I haven't nothing against youse) that don't see it because all the new members all seem to praise her.

Yes and it's so obvious. At this point there isn't even a desire to hide it and people interact with them like they don't see it. And they "all" have one thing in common. I believe there's a way of putting a stop to this crap but leadership prefers to let it be. Would be interesting if IPs were banned and see which names never crop up again.

Oh man, I remember that. I googled my screename once and a post in that forum came up that accused you and I of PMing each other to complain about the drama, or something to that effect. Lol
    whoa..hold the phone a minute..are you trying to tell me someone used your forum names in another forum ??..thats insane,some what creepy, sinister and bat shit cray...

Yeah I detected it almost immediately lol and its the hard-core Diana fans [[I haven't nothing against youse) that don't see it because all the new members all seem to praise her.
    I backed off because it was just too much. I have to apologize to some of the regulars who campaigned for the DRATS section separate from the main Motown forum. I could never understand why they were so pissed that there were so many Supremes and Diana Ross threads. If they didn't care, don't read the thread. And if there's a topic they'd rather discuss, then start it and mind ya business. I get it now. I see some of the none Diana Ross threads have gotten lost in the midst of the billions of Diana threads. I tried to bring some of them back to the forefront but they were quickly knocked back down by a plethra of new Ross threads and I just gave up. With Marv gone, who at least would make sure Mary threads were well represented, and Mary now gone, limiting what can be discussed in relation to her, I guess this is the new normal. "Diana Ross And Maybe A Little Supremes" could be the new name. I love Diana but there's only so much I can discuss about her in one sitting. There's nine Supremes. Would be nice to have more varied discussions.

whoa..hold the phone a minute..are you trying to tell me someone used your forum names in another forum ??..thats insane,some what creepy, sinister and bat shit cray...
    Well there were people in SD who complained that accounts had shown up on that crazy site with their screennames. But what I was referencing was the time I Googled my screename and it came up in that other forum where someone had written that me and Thanxal were complaining to Ralph and PMing each other about all the mess that was going on. Something like that. But no, as far as I know nobody "stole" my name and used it over there.

Well there were people in SD who complained that accounts had shown up on that crazy site with their screennames. But what I was referencing was the time I Googled my screename and it came up in that other forum where someone had written that me and Thanxal were complaining to Ralph and PMing each other about all the mess that was going on. Something like that. But no, as far as I know nobody "stole" my name and used it over there.
    right..I get it thanks ranran

I have somewhere the book called " a really big show" all about the ed sullivan show it's full of black and white pics of many of the well known performers who graced the sullivan stage

given the amount of times i've watched and examined this clip, it seems to me that this has the most of the little tidbits and nuances like we've discussed. sure there's the Mike Douglas clip where diana messes up the Symphony lyric or when she slips during the tap dance routine later on Sullivan. but this segment has so many little things to notice
    I love the symphony lyric mishap because, like the ear ring catch, it shows Ross’ innate, cunning, show biz survival instinct that I admire so much. Plus, she looks amazing - that’s my favorite hair up until you can’t hurry love sullivan hair. I didn’t notice the mic cord until you pointed it out so thank you! I love that performance so much and I remember it so well - I loved seeing them with the tambourines And the smile on Flo’s face when she’s doing that little twist movement with her hips. I often concentrate on her when I’m watching a clip because I find little things that she does that just make me love her even more. Another favorite moment, is when Diana is singing forever came today I need Sullivan and that little face she makes after “your touch” and “ said you needed me” I can’t tell you how much I love that little face she makes, and this is after she comes in too early after the clapping break and catches herself. She does that on The Boss on Carson, muffs lines lipping and then smiles a big smile. Mary and Diana are off during Bringing In The Sheaves and Mary kicks the back of Ross’ foot..... It’s live performance. I used to do a lot of theater And there were often little mistakes. In Charlie Brown one day, Lucy came in doing the wrong scene it took me forever to get her back on track. We had done that scene 100 times and this time she thought it was our scene in the second act. Once in a while in the Fantasticks, during this one song we would do a turn and do this step and I would realize that I was on the wrong foot. I’m sure I did that half a dozen times. What I admire about the girls is that 99% of their mistakes were on brand new material End it isn’t always easy to learn a song, new blocking, costuming and last minute stage directions in just a few days. But it’s fun!

I have no intention of re-watching Supremes performances to look for negative shit that I personally don't believe exists. I've said in this forum before, as others have said as well, that it's a testament to the group's professionalism that when things may have been tense backstage, on stage, and when the cameras were rolling, no one would have ever known. However, I'm going to have to pull up the performances of "Hurry", "Lover" and "My Romance" and the others and check out these cute little moments you all have noticed.

In regards to Flo's awkwardness, I've never thought of her as that way or thought she came across that way. But every now and then, of the three of them, she appears to be the one who missteps the choreography more than the other two, and I always attribute that to the fact that it is said that Flo could not dance. Which brings me to some of her moves which, while not out of step with the choreography, are not as rhythmically smooth as the other two. Well shit, I guess that is awkward isn't it? Okay, maybe Sup has a point. [[Ugh, how I hate to say that!)

I don’t think of Florence as being awkward either, she was just more down to earth and a little less show-bizzy and I think that was part of her charm. She was like the fun, cute girl next-door. She does have a problem when she’s lipping songs - sometimes you will see her completely blowing several words and just smiling through it. You will see it when you watch the Rogers and Hart special. I’m sure it annoyed Gordy, and may be the girls as well, but I never saw her do anything on stage or on television that I didn’t absolutely love. I’m really sorry you never got to see the original trio because nothing you can read can do justice to the Socko punch that those three girls brought to the stage. I’ve said before that I think the story of the Supremes, like smoky said would’ve been essentially the same with Diana and any two girls, but that’s not true. They would never have been that good, these girls were all special. I do think that ultimately, their story would’ve been very similar, but when I think of any Vandellas For example, replacing Mary and Florence, it wouldn’t even have been close. Someday I hope some quality live footage will pop up somewhere that shows them and gives them their due.

I love the symphony lyric mishap because, like the ear ring catch, it shows Ross’ innate, cunning, show biz survival instinct that I admire so much. Plus, she looks amazing - that’s my favorite hair up until you can’t hurry love sullivan hair. I didn’t notice the mic cord until you pointed it out so thank you! I love that performance so much and I remember it so well - I loved seeing them with the tambourines And the smile on Flo’s face when she’s doing that little twist movement with her hips. I often concentrate on her when I’m watching a clip because I find little things that she does that just make me love her even more. Another favorite moment, is when Diana is singing forever came today I need Sullivan and that little face she makes after “your touch” and “ said you needed me” I can’t tell you how much I love that little face she makes, and this is after she comes in too early after the clapping break and catches herself. She does that on The Boss on Carson, muffs lines lipping and then smiles a big smile. Mary and Diana are off during Bringing In The Sheaves and Mary kicks the back of Ross’ foot..... It’s live performance. I used to do a lot of theater And there were often little mistakes. In Charlie Brown one day, Lucy came in doing the wrong scene it took me forever to get her back on track. We had done that scene 100 times and this time she thought it was our scene in the second act. Once in a while in the Fantasticks, during this one song we would do a turn and do this step and I would realize that I was on the wrong foot. I’m sure I did that half a dozen times. What I admire about the girls is that 99% of their mistakes were on brand new material End it isn’t always easy to learn a song, new blocking, costuming and last minute stage directions in just a few days. But it’s fun!
    since this sullivan YCHL clip is probably my fav Sup live clip, i've watched it a million times. some times i'll watch and solely focus on Diana, then rewind and solely focus on M or F. I can practically watch the entire clip in my head and even each girl. i've just committed it so clearly to memory.

i think it was the MSS clip in Montreau where there is some stepping on things. the girls have these sheer scarves during the HE production and at one point they're dragging them across the stage slowly and someone steps on someone else's scarf. and occasionally the mic cords get tangled a bit or stepped on.

but i think that was part of their excellent training. using hand mics, learning how to handle the cords subtly. For their Walking routine i imagine when they would "walk" around the stage in the choreography they had that mapped out pretty precisely specifically so they wouldn't knot their cords all up. i don't think the girls just randomly meandered all over the stage

A Diana fan here, and I detected it almost immediately, too. Crazy sounds and smells crazy no matter how they try to hide it. I've ignored them and this is all I will comment about them. :[[

A Diana fan here, and I detected it almost immediately, too. Crazy sounds and smells crazy no matter how they try to hide it. I've ignored them and this is all I will comment about them. :[[

There will be another Supreme episode tomorrow. Ethel Merman will also appear. Anyone know what songs the Supremes will sing?

There will be another Supreme episode tomorrow. Ethel Merman will also appear. Anyone know what songs the Supremes will sing?
    Could be the 1966 episode where they did YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE and the Symphony Medley.

Or the Irving Berlin tribute where the Supremes and Ethel share a song?

“The girls” will be featured on tonight’s episode. This episode they are billed as Diana Ross and the Supremes. Don’t know if this series is in chronological order, or if it’s a random episode. Also appearing are Connie Francis, the Muppets, Johnny Mathis and Bing Crosby [[White Christmas)…..don’t know why Bing is billed that way. Is it a Christmas episode? Anyone know what the Supremes sing?

“The girls” will be featured on tonight’s episode. This episode they are billed as Diana Ross and the Supremes. Don’t know if this series is in chronological order, or if it’s a random episode. Also appearing are Connie Francis, the Muppets, Johnny Mathis and Bing Crosby [[White Christmas)…..don’t know why Bing is billed that way. Is it a Christmas episode? Anyone know what the Supremes sing?
    im pretty sure it’s a hybrid Christmas program. Expect My Favorite Things

im pretty sure it’s a hybrid Christmas program. Expect My Favorite Things
    1968 - Forever Came Today!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    1968 - Forever Came Today!
    and a fats waller medley no bing crosby

I enjoy seeing these clips. I know I am in the minority here because I became a Supremes fan in 1970. Up The Ladder To The Roof was the first record I ever bought. Seeing the pre-1970 clips are interesting to watch. In the 1970's, I followed both the Supremes and Diana Ross. I liked them both. I only knew Florence through going back and buying older records and seeing these old clips. I know I am in the minority but I find all of the former members of the Supremes to be quite talented in their own right. I enjoy all of the You Tube clips of the group showing all of the members from start to finish.

The Supremes are on again tonight. James Brown is also on. I know it’s late notice, but what do they sing?

The Supremes are on again tonight. James Brown is also on. I know it’s late notice, but what do they sing?
    Maybe LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART and MORE.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    The supremes performances I just can't watch anymore and I can't stand are when they do You're Nobody Until Somebody loves you. Diana Ross is trying to sing an uplifting positive message to the audience and those nasty Supremes are interrupting with smart ass, uppity comments and making fun of her or stepping in front of her trying to hog the attention. Or giving shady looks to each other. This drives me up the wall. If they didn't like Diana Ross singing such a positive message they should have quit the group. I no longer watch those performances, I can't take it. I want to jump into a time machine and give Diana Ross a hug and tell her she will be free of those no good player hating supremes.
    Are you for real? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Are you for real? Lol.
    At the time I posted that, no I wasn't being real. I was trying to be like After you, except more fanatical but with better use of punctuation. I got called out by a few people about that as they saw through the ruse. I thought I could leave or just stick around and try to make a more worthy contribution around here by sharing my real thoughts and ideas.

That being said, I remembered when the box set came out and the end of the second disc included the group intros and a performance of "You're Nobody". A few die hard Ross fans on Yahoo groups were upset about Flo's interruptions and thought she was being uppity. And a few Flo fans were sure Diana, when muttering after one Flo's remarks, was saying something insulting about Flo. Hopefully by now all who hear or see a performance of "You're Nobody" knows that it was stage patter that they did every night as part of the show. It is interesting that those who put together the Supremes show threw in a bit of a "catfight" element.

I LIVE for the earring catch - amazing! As for Sullivan appearances, never a bad one and, in their own ways, each one a classic! But my heart will forever belong to “Love Is Like An Itchin’ in my Heart” - as it’s simply, well, supreme! I have several favorite moments but the two big ones are when Diana coyly purrs, “oh, yeah” after “But whatcha goin’ do?” @ 01:23 and that last chorus after she takes a big breath @ 2:30 - she is on fire and full of soul magic! Chills, I tell ya…chills!
    https://youtu.be/5ks_VisXPOc
    Last edited by ejluther; 09-17-2021 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Maybe LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART and MORE.
    Thanks for responding. I finally got around to watching. You were correct.

The Supremes are on tonight’s show. Also appearing are Johnny Mathis, Henry Mancini, Burns and Schreiber.

Thanks for posting. The ladies really rock Itching. The band or backing track is fantastic. Mary was so into it...cool how Diana says, "Go Mary". There will NEVER EVER be any phenomenon
    like the Supremes. Perfection.

QUOTE=ejluther;657605]I LIVE for the earring catch - amazing! As for Sullivan appearances, never a bad one and, in their own ways, each one a classic! But my heart will forever belong to “Love Is Like An Itchin’ in my Heart” - as it’s simply, well, supreme! I have several favorite moments but the two big ones are when Diana coyly purrs, “oh, yeah” after “But whatcha goin’ do?” @ 01:23 and that last chorus after she takes a big breath @ 2:30 - she is on fire and full of soul magic! Chills, I tell ya…chills!
    https://youtu.be/5ks_VisXPOc
    [/QUOTE]