[REMOVE ADS]

Cole Porter and Fats Waller?

A possible Diana Ross Album of Cole Porter and Fats Waller?

i think the idea of her doing more of the American songbook would be wonderful. But given how many others have done that in the last 10+ years, she would need to do something else with the concept. make it fresh and her own.

The Supremes broke racial and social barriers because they could so easily handle all styles of music. Since they did albums and tv content with this, maybe she could go back and use some of those specific songs. the album would be chronological to when the Sups did it and liner notes could give some backing info.

but she could completely rearrange and redo the styles.

so i don't think it would only be Waller and Porter. but maybe an album lineup of:

Funny How Times Slips Away
    You Send Me
    Put on a Happy face
    you're nobody till somebody
    Little Girl Blue
    Second hand rose
    My romance
    always
    i am woman
    honey suckle rose
    ain't misbehaving
    i get a kick
    my man
    didn't we

sup_fan: I, for one, could do without yet another copy of You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You -- and Baby Love, Stop! In The Name Of Love and a few others that seem to be on every other release! We get very few releases these days, so the limited number of new CDs should be dedicated to expanded albums and songs we've yet to hear. IMO, it would far be better to have one new CD with limited portions of the Talk Of The Town and Farewell albums, without the tired hits medley and You're Nobody... and a second new CD with outtakes and rarities from TCB and GIT, the latter without the canned applause and some of the skits.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    sup_fan: I, for one, could do without yet another copy of You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You -- and Baby Love, Stop! In The Name Of Love and a few others that seem to be on every other release! We get very few releases these days, so the limited number of new CDs should be dedicated to expanded albums and songs we've yet to hear. IMO, it would far be better to have one new CD with limited portions of the Talk Of The Town and Farewell albums, without the tired hits medley and You're Nobody... and a second new CD with outtakes and rarities from TCB and GIT, the latter without the canned applause and some of the skits.
    I would love to hear an expanded "farewell"..I m curious to know how the euphoric "let the sunshine in " actually finishes..in the cd release fade you can hear the majestic marvin gaye belting out for a second time..the canned laughter and applause on "diana!"tv soundtrack I find a bit overdone..

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    no i meant for Diana to record these songs new herself, now. TNSUN had suggested the idea of DR doing a Cole Porter or Fats Waller record and i assumed he meant a new recording today. have her highlight some of the American songbook.

my thinking was that has sort of been done in recent years by others so DR would need to do something unique with it. the Sups recorded so many classic American songbook songs and they played such a HUGE role in their ascent. So my idea would be for DR to now pay tribute to herself and the girls paying tribute to the American songbook. modern recordings of Diana reflecting on many of the MOR songs the Sups recorded.

But they don't have to sound like how the Sups did them. they could be totally reimagined and produced