[REMOVE ADS]

ROSS' "REVELATIONS" unreleased album

I recall an old thread from several years back about Miss Ross' unreleased "Revelations" album. The "Revelations" album is a compilation of at-that-time unreleased Motown recordings that nearly came out in 1982, not too long after Diana had moved from Motown to RCA. A single from the album was released [["We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again"), but it did not chart. The album was then cancelled. In an interview around that time, someone asked Miss Ross about the album, and she replied that it would not be coming out; that Berry Gordy still loved her and would not allow it to be released and hurt her career [[as in to complete with her RCA releases.)

All of the songs that were intended for the "Revelations" album have come out over the years as bonus tracks on various deluxe sets and rarities collections, yet the album as a whole has never been legally released. As individual tracks, the songs are okay; however, in my humble opinion, hearing them collectively is a much better listening experience. Some have said that they are a hodge-podge of styles and do not fit together as an album. I totally disagree. [[Maybe "Funky Old Rolls" could have been dropped from the line-up, but otherwise....)

I've had a couple of unofficial versions of the "Revelations" album over the years, and I have to say that I really like the set as a whole. I do not believe for a second that it would have been a hit, for everyone knew Miss Ross had signed with RCA by that time. The Motown album would have been seen as a cheap cash-in attempt, yet the "Revelations" album was actually better than some of Miss Ross' RCA output. It was a lot better than the second RCA album, "Silk Electric."

The images here are of one version that is currently available online. Most of these tracks have been included in other versions as well, with a couple of exceptions [[ie: the long version of "Reflections").

Others have thoughts on this album? I know it is an unofficial album, aka: a bootleg. That is not the issue here. The issue is the music. What are your thoughts on the songs? Should the LP have been released?

Name:  Front-Diana-Ross-Revelations-UNRELEASED-EXPANDED-EDITION-1982-CD.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  38.9 KBName:  Back-Diana-Ross-Revelations-UNRELEASED-EXPANDED-EDITION-1982-CD.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  83.9 KB

to me this album is just way to hodge podge to work. the Holland tracks are frankly inferior. interesting that these were being done [[at least the backing tracks) as their work with the Sups, which was FAR better.

in some of the EE booklets, they've identified songs that were considered for the album. I wonder if it ever got to the planning stage of a full lineup identified. or artwork.

The way I remember it, Berry cancelled plans to release REVELATIONS after Diana was asked in an interview with SOUL [[?) about Motown putting out old unreleased material. She replied that she expected it but she didn't think Berry would do anything to hurt her. And besides, everyone knew the only new material was on RCA.

That said, it might have done fairly well just because Diana was so hot. Just like when Motown put out the MJ albums ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE and FAREWELL MY SUMMER LOVE after his success with OFF THE WALL and THRILLER. I like a few of the songs planned for REVELATIONS, such as the Holland tracks. But they really sound dated so I doubt a hit single would have emerged from it.
    Last edited by reese; 03-29-2021 at 11:15 AM.

So “Share some love” was unreleased? I first heard it on the expanded “To love again” CD and fell in love with it. I assumed it was from one of her 70’s albums that I either never heard/listened to. That is a great song.

Is "Come Together" the same song as the recent sneak peak of new music by Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Is "Come Together" the same song as the recent sneak peak of new music by Diana Ross.

No, this was a remixed version of The Beatles'
    "Come Together."

I like most of the songs on their own, but together this has a Ross78 pt 2 feel to it. Thankfully it was cancelled as it would not have enhanced her musical legacy.

it's interesting that there really aren't troves of "gems" in the vault on diana. yes there are some strong songs that were skipped. but to make an album in 81 or 82 of 12 tracks that knock your socks off is a challenge

or at least one that could have be a cohesive concept

I put together a playlist with the track listing and really enjoy it! Interesting mix of songs. Wish Motown would have released it on vinyl. I'm kinda curious why the extended mix of "Reflections" would have been included since it's a Supremes track?

I'm sure most are aware that the above Revelations pics are from a bootleg. It's not a real track list. In fact the real Revelations album was not a collection of unreleased songs. Yes, it included "Old Flame" and "Funky Rolls" [[already issued on a 45) and one more of the Holland/Holland tracks. I won't list the track list at this time but the rest of the album was older LP cuts and singles, two of which had already been on side two of Ross 78. Eight tracks total. It was smart to shelve the album as fans would have been disappointed.

interesting!! thanks George! always love your input

George if you could go back in time and pick 1 project/album from the Sup or DR days to release or change, what would it be? was one of the unreleased albums a huge mistake to leave in the vaults, in your opinion? or do you have a fav from the various sets we've received on EE?

The "Revelations" LP would have been only slightly more listenable than the "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    The "Revelations" LP would have been only slightly more listenable than the "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" LP.
    Almost anything would have been an improvement on the Fools album. I almost cried with disappointment when i listened to that album for the first time. Subsequent listens had a similar effect.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    I'm sure most are aware that the above Revelations pics are from a bootleg. It's not a real track list. In fact the real Revelations album was not a collection of unreleased songs. Yes, it included "Old Flame" and "Funky Rolls" [[already issued on a 45) and one more of the Holland/Holland tracks. I won't list the track list at this time but the rest of the album was older LP cuts and singles, two of which had already been on side two of Ross 78. Eight tracks total. It was smart to shelve the album as fans would have been disappointed.
    thanks George so "Revelations" really wouldnt have lived up to its namesake !

thanks George. I appreciate your ability to cut through the "stuff" and give us some clarity, rather than "other stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    interesting!! thanks George! always love your input

George if you could go back in time and pick 1 project/album from the Sup or DR days to release or change, what would it be? was one of the unreleased albums a huge mistake to leave in the vaults, in your opinion? or do you have a fav from the various sets we've received on EE?
    I could make this a really long reply. Like everyone else I have lots of ideas about tracks I would have swapped. But honestly I don't think they really missed the boat with any of the unreleased albums. There's A Place For Us ended up being well represented on Supremes At The Copa. I like the Disney tracks but I can understand at the time there was so much material and another novelty record probably wouldn't have moved them forward. We'd love to put it out now!
    I think we started making the expanded editions better in time. I've said that I wish we could do Where Did Our Love Go again. I feel the same about Diana Ross 1970, Everything Is Everything and Surrender. And of course Diana & Marvin and The Boss really deserve a much more deluxe treatment. I recently listened to Touch Me In The Morning and Diana Ross 76 and loved them. I forgot how much work went in to those!
    I thought the live show on I Hear A Symphony was very special. Same with the Copa 67 show on HDH. It wasn't everything that was recorded during the two shows but still a good representation and was mostly the late show. I thought it was cool that they closed the show with The Happening.
    A Go Go was really special because we probably had the most control starting with that one including the art work.
    I love the Baby It's Me expanded and think a physical release could be even better [[Please God).
    The Supremes 70s box sets were wonderful and going back further I was thrilled with Greatest Hits And Rare Classics. That will always hold a special place.
    I've said before that I love the whole new mix of Merry Christmas. We enjoy working with Joe, Gordon and the Real Gone group. Looking forward to more and wish I had something official to announce but I don't. Andy and I would love to do a live chat and really talk about all the releases or answer questions. I hope that didn't to on too long. I'm really happy and grateful that there are people who care about this.

George if you can't answer this I'll wait for that live chat but are there any more DMF live shows in the vault? I know some people say they can do without the live shows but if I could I'd want to hear every one that was recorded.

I could make this a really long reply. Like everyone else I have lots of ideas about tracks I would have swapped. But honestly I don't think they really missed the boat with any of the unreleased albums. There's A Place For Us ended up being well represented on Supremes At The Copa. I like the Disney tracks but I can understand at the time there was so much material and another novelty record probably wouldn't have moved them forward. We'd love to put it out now!
    I think we started making the expanded editions better in time. I've said that I wish we could do Where Did Our Love Go again. I feel the same about Diana Ross 1970, Everything Is Everything and Surrender. And of course Diana & Marvin and The Boss really deserve a much more deluxe treatment. I recently listened to Touch Me In The Morning and Diana Ross 76 and loved them. I forgot how much work went in to those!
    I thought the live show on I Hear A Symphony was very special. Same with the Copa 67 show on HDH. It wasn't everything that was recorded during the two shows but still a good representation and was mostly the late show. I thought it was cool that they closed the show with The Happening.
    A Go Go was really special because we probably had the most control starting with that one including the art work.
    I love the Baby It's Me expanded and think a physical release could be even better [[Please God).
    The Supremes 70s box sets were wonderful and going back further I was thrilled with Greatest Hits And Rare Classics. That will always hold a special place.
    I've said before that I love the whole new mix of Merry Christmas. We enjoy working with Joe, Gordon and the Real Gone group. Looking forward to more and wish I had something official to announce but I don't. Andy and I would love to do a live chat and really talk about all the releases or answer questions. I hope that didn't to on too long. I'm really happy and grateful that there are people who care about this.
    George, thank you for your feedback. It’s always interesting to hear your thoughts as you are so personally involved in the expanded editions.

I love the idea of a live chat and hope you can make it happen. It would be such a treat for us fans while we wait for the next release announcement. I miss those nuggets discussed with our dearly departed John Perrone on his radio show...

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    George if you can't answer this I'll wait for that live chat but are there any more DMF live shows in the vault? I know some people say they can do without the live shows but if I could I'd want to hear every one that was recorded.
    There are more pre-Where Did Our Love Go performances from early Motortown Revues but I think we might have used all the songs. Though I don't think we've used "My Heart Can't Take It No More." Other than that there are performances that were recorded by venues but the tapes aren't owned by Motown/Universal.

I think we started making the expanded editions better in time. I've said that I wish we could do Where Did Our Love Go again. I feel the same about Diana Ross 1970, Everything Is Everything and Surrender. And of course Diana & Marvin and The Boss really deserve a much more deluxe treatment.

Andy and I would love to do a live chat and really talk about all the releases or answer questions. I hope that didn't to on too long. I'm really happy and grateful that there are people who care about this.
    Okay George, I'm going to risk being a glutton for punishment, but I gotta know: what would you have done differently with WDOLG? It might be my favorite of the expandeds [[probably tied with Meet the Supremes expanded because I'm partial to the group's early period) and I thought it was very well done. Are there some more cuts discovered since that could've been included? Did the infamous first take of "Where Did Our Love Go" survive? Is it possible to make Florence more audible on the song "Where Did Our Love Go"?

At this point, I think a bunch of us are just gonna have to roll up on Universal and make it known in no uncertain terms that Andy and George be allowed free rein to get all this stuff done. None of us- other than me- is getting any younger.

George - your posts can never be too long!! and i'd love a live chat. even if you don't have a dedicated website or platform for a chat, you could always see about scheduling a webinar. post the link on FB groups, here, wherever else. That was you and the guys are moderators so you can control people's mic, muting, chat functionality, etc.

You are awesome!

[QUOTE=RanRan79;614920]Okay George, I'm going to risk being a glutton for punishment, but I gotta know: what would you have done differently with WDOLG? It might be my favorite of the expandeds [[probably tied with Meet the Supremes expanded because I'm partial to the group's early period) and I thought it was very well done. Are there some more cuts discovered since that could've been included? Did the infamous first take of "Where Did Our Love Go" survive? Is it possible to make Florence more audible on the song "Where Did Our Love Go"?

Back then if there was an existing mono mix in the vault it was used to save studio costs. I know there are fans that prefer that. But I think most of the unreleased tracks would have been greatly improved by a fresh stereo mix. I also like hearing what comes after the fade and many of the tracks from the original LP have a significant amount of vocals after the fades and there are also alternate versions and vocal takes.
    On all of the singles up to and including Nothing But Heartaches, Diana, Mary and Florence are all on the same track. You can't raise one voice without raising all of them. Back In My Arms Again is an exception. There are two lead Diana vocals and two sets of backgrounds by Mary and Flo all on separate tracks.

[

Back then if there was an existing mono mix in the vault it was used to save studio costs. I know there are fans that prefer that. But I think most of the unreleased tracks would have been greatly improved by a fresh stereo mix. I also like hearing what comes after the fade and many of the tracks from the original LP have a significant amount of vocals after the fades and there are also alternate versions and vocal takes.
    On all of the singles up to and including Nothing But Heartaches, Diana, Mary and Florence are all on the same track. You can't raise one voice without raising all of them. Back In My Arms Again is an exception. There are two lead Diana vocals and two sets of backgrounds by Mary and Flo all on separate tracks.
    Yup, I'm feeling punished. The bit after the original fade of "Send Me No Flowers" is such good stuff. Would love more of that. Fingers crossed that you guys get a chance to revisit this set.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Almost anything would have been an improvement on the Fools album. I almost cried with disappointment when i listened to that album for the first time. Subsequent listens had a similar effect.
    LOL! I am sure that Berry and the rest of Motown delighted in the mediocrity of WDFFIL.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    LOL! I am sure that Berry and the rest of Motown delighted in the mediocrity of WDFFIL.
    Very possibly, but it didn't take Ms Ross and Mr Gordy very long to get their relationship back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Very possibly, but it didn't take Ms Ross and Mr Gordy very long to get their relationship back on track.
    I thought it was funny that in the period before Motown 25 when berry didn't want to speak to diana she phoned him one morning cooing how wonderful her life was at rca and the freedom she was enjoying... Berry was pissed..the tables would turn and diana would later complain to anyone who would listen that no one cared about her at rca

Why Do Fools was a strong album compared to what came after it. I was on the verge of turning in my Ross fan club card.

George, is there a place where all the Ross/Supremes expanded editions are available for sale? I missed purchasing many because I had no idea they were for made.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    George, is there a place where all the Ross/Supremes expanded editions are available for sale? I missed purchasing many because I had no idea they were for made.
    Circa most are on eBay prices vary - sing hdh and a go go are relatively cheap at the copa and older titles are usually higher in price although I saw a reasonable priced at the copa on there yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    There is a music store in Grand Prairie, TX, called Forever Young Records; it is a music lover’s dream. Huge selections of new and used CD’s, vinyl, collectibles, etc. They have had each of the expanded editions stocked for purchase and still have several titles available. Reach out to them, you may get lucky...

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I thought it was funny that in the period before Motown 25 when berry didn't want to speak to diana she phoned him one morning cooing how wonderful her life was at rca and the freedom she was enjoying... Berry was pissed..the tables would turn and diana would later complain to anyone who would listen that no one cared about her at rca
    Just curious. You were in on that call?