[REMOVE ADS]

"Sunset Blvd": Diana Ross?

I think this musical would have been grand starring role on Broadway for Diana Ross.

The singers chosen to play Norma Desmond most commonly possess powerful, belting, theatrical voices Diana has a light, lilting pop voice. Can you really picture her belting out songs such as “With One Look” night after night?. I most certainly can’t.

I'd like to hear her sing AS IF WE NEVER SAID GOODBYE.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I think this musical would have been grand starring role on Broadway for Diana Ross.
    Richard Attenborough briefly pursued her for the London production of Sunset Blvd. My recollections are sketchy, and i think he may well have wanted Ms Ross for a film version rather than the stage version. I need to dig a little deeper, but there was certainly some wooing on Mr Attenborough's part. From what i can recall Ms Ross was flattered by the interest but had no inclination to take it any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Richard Attenborough briefly pursued her for the London production of Sunset Blvd. My recollections are sketchy, and i think he may well have wanted Ms Ross for a film version rather than the stage version. I need to dig a little deeper, but there was certainly some wooing on Mr Attenborough's part. From what i can recall Ms Ross was flattered by the interest but had no inclination to take it any further.
    Thanks for the info Blue. A film version might have been a hoot. At least she would be lip synching to a recording. I saw Elaine Paige in the London production and thought she did a brilliant job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Thanks for the info Blue. A film version might have been a hoot. At least she would be lip synching to a recording. I saw Elaine Paige in the London production and thought she did a brilliant job.
    It would indeed have been a hoot! Can you imagine Ms Ross playing a washed up performer trying to relive the glory days?
    I would personally have invested my own money to witness such a production! She would have slayed it once she got over the indignity of playing such a character!
    I have seen the stage production on Broadway, The West End and in Sydney, all in the 1990's. Glenn Close was the lead on Broadway and London, and i think Michael Ball was also in the West End production.
    Hugh Jackman was in the Sydney production, but i cannot recall the leading lady. I enjoyed all three productions.

It would indeed have been a hoot! Can you imagine Ms Ross playing a washed up performer trying to relive the glory days?
    I would personally have invested my own money to witness such a production! She would have slayed it once she got over the indignity of playing such a character!
    I have seen the stage production on Broadway, The West End and in Sydney, all in the 1990's. Glenn Close was the lead on Broadway and London, and i think Michael Ball was also in the West End production.
    Hugh Jackman was in the Sydney production, but i cannot recall the leading lady. I enjoyed all three productions.
    debra Byrne or Maria Mercedes

Diane would not have suited this role imho

I saw Petula Clark in the role later on in same production Ollie9...but i thought Patti Lupone was the best Norma..my favourite song is "A Perfect Year"

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I saw Petula Clark in the role later on in same production Ollie9...but i thought Patti Lupone was the best Norma..my favourite song is "A Perfect Year"
    Oh my goodness, i had completely forgotten that i took a visiting friend from Australia to see Sunset when Petula was playing Norma. It seems so long ago now. I thought her acting good, but preferred Paige’s more dramatic interpretations of the songs. Elaine did look a little short during the staircase scene though lol. I also love “The Perfect Year”.
    Did you get to see Patti and what did you think of Petula?.

Oh my goodness, i had completely forgotten that i took a visiting friend from Australia to see Sunset when Petula was playing Norma. It seems so long ago now. I thought her acting good, but preferred Paige’s more dramatic interpretations of the songs. Elaine did look a little short during the staircase scene though lol. I also love “The Perfect Year”.
    Did you get to see Patti and what did you think of Petula?.
    I had booked to see Elaine but Petula had taken over the role by then - I thought Petula was good but as you said I prefer Elaines vocal powers..i didnt see Patti in person but was given a Polygram VHS E.P.K.[[Electronic Press Kit) for the launch of the original stage recording.. it featured Patti on stage to an empty theatre performing "With One Look" and the duet "The Perfect Year" so i was lucky enought to get a glimpse of her acting and she was giving more to the role than when I saw Petula..Patti's Norma was more drunk in "The Perfect Year" performance she wasnt interviewed in the E.P.K but i think Webber was..sadly i dont have a copy of it anymore...I would be fascinated to see rehearsal footage of Faye Dunaway in the lead if any exists...
    Last edited by nomis; 03-29-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    debra Byrne or Maria Mercedes

Diane would not have suited this role imho
    Yes, it certainly was an apt fit for 'Debbie' Byrne.

From teenage star of Young Talent Time
    To 'Queen of Pop'
    To TV star
    To heroin addiction and sex tapes....
    To acclaimed stage performer in 'Cats', 'Les Miz' etc...

And Debra certainly has a powerful vocal style.

I shall refrain from any snarky comments about Hugh Jackman not having been the leading lady. I swear. I won't go there.

I've seen Glenn Close in the original and the 2017 revival on Broadway. I can't picture Diana in the role. I can see Diana in a revival of Hello Dolly or Mame.

Glenn Close is producing and starring in the movie musical, which was in preproduction prior to the COVID-19 crisis. She is just waiting to get the green light, and hopes that it will happen this year. I hope so too.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I've seen Glenn Close in the original and the 2017 revival on Broadway. I can't picture Diana in the role. I can see Diana in a revival of Hello Dolly or Mame.

Glenn Close is producing and starring in the movie musical, which was in preproduction prior to the COVID-19 crisis. She is just waiting to get the green light, and hopes that it will happen this year. I hope so too.

except that Gloria Swanson had to apply make up to make her look older for the role...

As for Diana Ross having ever played this part as some kinda has-been , its even more of a stretch than playing a 10-year-old Dorothy ....

I had booked to see Elaine but Petula had taken over the role by then - I thought Petula was good but as you said I prefer Elaines vocal powers..i didnt see Patti in person but was given a Polygram VHS E.P.K.[[Electronic Press Kit) for the launch of the original stage recording.. it featured Patti on stage to an empty theatre performing "With One Look" and the duet "The Perfect Year" so i was lucky enought to get a glimpse of her acting and she was giving more to the role than when I saw Petula..Patti's Norma was more drunk in "The Perfect Year" performance she wasnt interviewed in the E.P.K but i think Webber was..sadly i dont have a copy of it anymore...I would be fascinated to see rehearsal footage of Faye Dunaway in the lead if any exists...
    Just think, we could have been sitting next to one another. Paige is always good at those big dramatic numbers.
    It’s funny, but i was searching only the other day for anything on Faye Dunaway as Norma. From what I read she was actually very good. The only problem being her objection to the use of wire coat hangers in certain scenes.

Just think, we could have been sitting next to one another. Paige is always good at those big dramatic numbers.
    It’s funny, but i was searching only the other day for anything on Faye Dunaway as Norma. From what I read she was actually very good. The only problem being her objection to the use of wire coat hangers in certain scenes.
    By all accounts she was very good.
    Just don't ask any of her co-stars what she was like to work with!!!

If Richard Attenborough nominates Diana Ross in his production, Billy Dee Williams must be her co-star. Phenomenal Chemistry!

By all accounts she was very good.
    Just don't ask any of her co-stars what she was like to work with!!!
    My uncle Jorge worked at Koonz hardware in West Hollywood for years and said Miss Faye Dunaway was nothing short of a monster. Hes a lovely man but said she was the worst person ever. Just real mean and nasty every time she came in.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    My uncle Jorge worked at Koonz hardware in West Hollywood for years and said Miss Faye Dunaway was nothing short of a monster. Hes a lovely man but said she was the worst person ever. Just real mean and nasty every time she came in.
    She is an appalling woman. Probably the rudest individual i ever met, and that even includes Anita Baker and Bobby Brown!

She is an appalling woman. Probably the rudest individual i ever met, and that even includes Anita Baker and Bobby Brown!
    Anita bakers rudeness is legendary someone on this forum used to call her old knucklehead

Nothing to do with the topic, but speaking of SUNSET and BROADWAY, by co-incidence, this new show would have been opening tomorrow if there were no pandemic

Ollie9 - did you notice elaine paige at "an audience with Diana ross " in 1999..I can't remember if she asked diana a question

Ollie9 - did you notice elaine paige at "an audience with Diana ross " in 1999..I can't remember if she asked diana a question
    No she didn't ask a question but she was indeed there, and was introduced to Ms Ross after the recording.

Anita bakers rudeness is legendary someone on this forum used to call her old knucklehead
    Do not get me started on that woman!

No she didn't ask a question but she was indeed there, and was introduced to Ms Ross after the recording.
    Bluebrock I thought it was funny on "tfif" when evans warned diana about "an audience" and she replied "I know I've seen some terrible ones.." she has quite a wit

When I saw Glenn Close sing it’s as if we never said goodbye, I wept like a baby and all I could think of was, “ my god this song was written for Miss Ross, “

I don’t think that the subject matter, or the fact that she would be playing a has been, had anything to do with Miss Ross’ lack of interest in the project. First and foremost, I don’t think her voice can handle this very demanding role eight shows a week, maybe four. Also, it would be a very very time-consuming commitment that frankly I don’t think she would be wanting to tackle at that point in her career. They couldn’t even get her to rehearse Bali Hai with the three tenors! Also, it would be a minimum of six months out of her life and she would be earning squawked compared to what she makes doing her show. 20 years earlier? Oh, hell yes! And I think she could’ve nailed it.

Do not get me started on that woman!
    You better have been working on that book lately

Yes I did. She often plays Diana/Supremes songs on her radio show.
    Its a shame her duet with Diana on “I Know Him So Well” was edited out.
    [[joke)......

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    When I saw Glenn Close sing it’s as if we never said goodbye, I wept like a baby and all I could think of was, “ my god this song was written for Miss Ross, “

I donÂ’t think that the subject matter, or the fact that she would be playing a has been, had anything to do with Miss RossÂ’ lack of interest in the project. First and foremost, I donÂ’t think her voice can handle this very demanding role eight shows a week, maybe four. Also, it would be a very very time-consuming commitment that frankly I donÂ’t think she would be wanting to tackle at that point in her career. They couldnÂ’t even get her to rehearse Bali Hai with the three tenors! Also, it would be a minimum of six months out of her life and she would be earning squawked compared to what she makes doing her show. 20 years earlier? Oh, hell yes! And I think she couldÂ’ve nailed it.
    I agree, but think “With One Look” would be a stretch to far.
    I’ve never heard about the rehearsal, or lack there of regarding Bali Hai. Was that in Japan?.

Bluebrock I thought it was funny on "tfif" when evans warned diana about "an audience" and she replied "I know I've seen some terrible ones.." she has quite a wit
    She has a wonderful sense of humour when it suits her. She can be downright hilarious, but when being interviewed she usually came across as being too reserved and constantly on her guard. She was paranoid about being misquoted. I often sat backstage just wishing she would let go of the reins and cut loose. She did not enjoy being interviewed. She regarded it as a necessary evil, but i am sure the public would have warmed to her more had she been relaxed and more like the person she was offstage. An audience could easily have mistaken her cautious approach as arrogance or rudeness. It still frustrates me rewatching these old interviews and knowing had she just been herself she would have captivated her audience the way she captivated them when on stage.

Diana Ross in Sunset Blvd would be seen by many as being autobiographical. If Ross was still a current superstar, the role would be awesome.

Yes I did. She often plays Diana/Supremes songs on her radio show.
    Its a shame her duet with Diana on “I Know Him So Well” was edited out.
    [[joke)......
    Ollie - I just remembered diana and elaine had been on stage together at the final of the 1991 royal variety performance to horray queen elizabeth...btw diana's performance that night is hands down my favorite ross live show she was laser prescion perfect on everything..the queen meets the queen😁

Ollie - I just remembered diana and elaine had been on stage together at the final of the 1991 royal variety performance to horray queen elizabeth...btw diana's performance that night is hands down my favorite ross live show she was laser prescion perfect on everything..the queen meets the queen
    Does that make Elaine Paige the princess?.
    Diana was on good form the night of the RVP with her sons in attendance. The only thing i didn’t like was the frock that made her appear semi-embalmed.
    I thought the “Reach Out And Touch” segment quite funny. Diana shaking hands with the upper set who looked quite bemused and embarrassed As is usual, Diana handled it all with style and grace.

Does that make Elaine Paige the princess?.
    Diana was on good form the night of the RVP with her sons in attendance. The only thing i didn’t like was the frock that made her appear semi-embalmed.
    I thought the “Reach Out And Touch” segment quite funny. Diana shaking hands with the upper set who looked quite bemused and embarrassed As is usual, Diana handled it all with style and grace.
    Yes they were stiff in reach out then she makes her little speech about looking into the audiences eyes and seeing their faces and she gets a warm round of applause.. she has so many tactics in her arsenal..I have a bootleg dvd of her 1973 royal albert hall the audience starts out very reserved then midway thru they are running down the aisles to her..this goes back to the supremes ..she cracks the audiences composure..it happens on the amsterdam dvd..she brings an audience out of it's shell

It was sometimes a little awkward if during the “Reach Out And Touch” segment you were seated next to a burly guy with a broken nose, covered in tattoos lol.
    I remember seeing on you tube when at the Royal Albert Hall In 73, while performing “Touch Me In The Morning” Diana bit a member of the audience. She stops the orchestra so she can take time to apologise to the guy.
    Mercifully it never became a trend or regular segment of the show.

She has a wonderful sense of humour when it suits her. She can be downright hilarious, but when being interviewed she usually came across as being too reserved and constantly on her guard. She was paranoid about being misquoted. I often sat backstage just wishing she would let go of the reins and cut loose. She did not enjoy being interviewed. She regarded it as a necessary evil, but i am sure the public would have warmed to her more had she been relaxed and more like the person she was offstage. An audience could easily have mistaken her cautious approach as arrogance or rudeness. It still frustrates me rewatching these old interviews and knowing had she just been herself she would have captivated her audience the way she captivated them when on stage.
    The sense of humor is lovely to hear and quite unexpected. I've imagined Diana in private life as being very much warmer and more open, but the sense of humor is a nice surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    The sense of humor is lovely to hear and quite unexpected. I've imagined Diana in private life as being very much warmer and more open, but the sense of humor is a nice surprise.
    Oh the stories i could tell!!!
    And they were not always suitable for a family audience.
    She is a very switched on cookie who can hold her own against anyone in the humour stakes. Don't let the stiff upper lip fool you.

She is a very switched on cookie who can hold her own against anyone in the humour stakes. Don't let the stiff upper lip fool you.
    Ha! Perhaps, someday. I'm happy to hear that you have these nice memories of working with the lady, and equally happy that Diana has sides to her personality that she chooses to not reveal to hoi-polloi such as myself! As Bowie said so brilliantly on his last lifetime-released music, "I Can't Give Everything Away".

Ms. Roberta, I'm unhappy that Dunaway was rude to your family but I must admit on this Easter sunday ... the thought of Faye D in a hardware store is just hysterical! Shall I presume she was in the store for industrial-weight cable to maintain the lift of her face? I hope you and yours are well and maintaining faith during this troubling time. At least we have decent people in the White House. Be well.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 04-04-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Tell us!!! She gives us small glimpses of dirty humor all the time. I love it.

I saw the London production of "Sunset Boulevard" when it starred Betty Buckley and John Barrowman.
    There was one scene where Norma lit up a cigarette and the odour that filled the auditorium smelled like more than tobacco.
    If Diana Ross had been in the role at that time I wonder how she would have handled it. Her dynamics with the OTT John Barrowman would have been interesting to say the least.

Please tell us!

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Diana Ross in Sunset Blvd would be seen by many as being autobiographical. If Ross was still a current superstar, the role would be awesome.
    How very cutting. She still considers herself every inch a current superstar. You are hereby sentenced to a week of detention! Ms Ross will be livid. lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Atasteofhoney View Post
    Please tell us!
    I am far too much of a gentleman to do that!

Faye didn't have "people" to fetch her nails and screws? No wonder she was a beast!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Faye didn't have "people" to fetch her nails and screws? No wonder she was a beast!
    Poor Faye. She was unforgettable in The Towering Inferno.

Wow!! And thought she was acting in Baby Jane

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Wow!! And thought she was acting in Baby Jane

You mean Mommie Dearest?

Rupert Everett refers to her as "Done Fadeaway."

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    You mean Mommie Dearest?

Rupert Everett refers to her as "Done Fadeaway."
    He is naughty lol. Bette Davis is quoted as saying she was a ‘tad difficult to work with.