[REMOVE ADS]

Left parentheses "banned". Use [square brackets] instead.

Gremlins are at work on SoulfulDetroit!

For some weird reason, using a
    Name:  banned-paren.png
Views: 547
Size:  10.4 KB
    in titles to threads suddenly started creating an issue where clicking/tapping a thread title with a left parentheses mark fails to open the thread and instead leads to a page reading:

Forbidden

You do not have permission to access this document.

As a workaround, until we find the solution, we discovered that by using the forum software’s censoring function to ‘ban’ the left parenthesis mark we can cause it to be replaced with a double left square bracket [[. [But we can’t yet figure out how to make that a single bracket. Sheesh!]

So, if you wish to put words in parentheses, in thread titles or posts, use [square brackets] instead. If you forget and use a left parenthesis, it will automatically be overwritten with the double left bracket [[.

You will also notice that all instances where a left parentheses were used in past posts or thread titles are now replaced by double left brackets.

So, as our Brit friends might say…
    Name:  staycalm.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  12.8 KB

Thanks for posting this. I couldn't access certain posts [404 error] and thought the problem was on my end.

Great work! Thanks a million.

Thanks for figuring this out, there have been several threads I was unable to access as of late.
    Now if we could just get the "turn off your ad block" message I get all the time fixed, even though I'm not using ad block on this site, I'd be an even happier camper!

Thanks to Lowell for the 'heads up'. After reading your post, I know why an article that I posted recently got relegated to a 'forbidden-you don't have permission to access this document' message.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 03-28-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks for this tip Lowell.

I wondered why a thread I started kept giving me that error hen trying to view it!

Cheers

Paul

lol - I sent an email to Ralph about the 404 error a few weeks ago [[and then discovered a work-around myself).

Last night when I posted a new thread, I experienced the parentheses issue [[just look up! lol) and was going to email about this too lol - glad I didn't bother any of the admins.