[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: You Do It....

You Do It....

I consider “You Do It” one of the very best songs from her rca period. It’s laidback, almost hypnotic quality gets in your head and stays there.
    The fact it was never released as a single was a missed opportunity.
    It was certainly very radio friendly for that time frame, and most crucially, unlike “Pieces Of Ice” had decent lyrics that had mass appeal. With plenty of media exposure it would most likely have done very well.
    Sheena Easton had recorded the song for an album, but to my knowledge it was never released as a single. Overall i think Diana’s version the superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I consider “You Do It” one of the very best songs from her rca period. It’s laidback, almost hypnotic quality gets in your head and stays there.
    It was certainly very radio friendly for that time frame, and most crucially, unlike “Pieces Of Ice” had decent lyrics that had mass appeal. With plenty of media exposure it would most likely have done very well.
    Sheena Easton had recorded the song for an album, but to my knowledge it was never released as a single. Overall i think Diana’s version the superior.
    Totally agree the bridge is sublime "what did I do right to get you in my life when I need you..need you to stay..._" isn't it written by the multi talented debbie allen ?

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Totally agree the bridge is sublime "what did I do right to get you in my life when I need you..need you to stay..._" isn't it written by the multi talented debbie allen ?
    I believe it was country singer Deborah Allen as opposed to Debbie A who co-wrote the song. I adore it’s laidback simplicity.
    “Let’s Go Up” is always the popular choice amongst fans when considering the most suitable lead single from ross 83. I think it to crash, bang, wallop for a Diana Ross single, much the same way “Upfront” was. Dennis Edwards version of “LGU” is far more rounded and soulful then Diana’s.
    “You Do It has a classic, timeless quality to it that still sounds fresh and contemporary today.

I am now listening to You Do It. Her vocals sound so thin. Instrumentally, it is also very sparse. That organ is annoying. The song is great, but it needs a bigger and richer production. Can you imagine what a great producer could have done with it?

When Ross went to RCA, she forgot what made her great. Or, maybe she deluded herself thinking it was only all about her. Ross, I love you, but you and your voice were merely layers of an onion.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I am now listening to You Do It. Her vocals sound so thin. Instrumentally, it is also very sparse. That organ is annoying. The song is great, but it needs a bigger and richer production. Can you imagine what a great producer could have done with it?

When Ross went to RCA, she forgot what made her great. Or, maybe she deluded herself thinking it was only all about her. Ross, I love you, but you and your voice were merely layers of an onion.
    I like your onion quote lol.
    I think the sparse and simple production is in keeping with the other songs on the album. Adding more might have spoilt that simplicity. I find Diana’s version superior to Sheena Easton, Helen Reddy or the songs originator singer/writer Deborah Allen.
    The only song I would have liked a ‘tad more rounded is “Let’s Go Up” which comes across a little harsh at times.

Ollie, yes Let’s Go Up was a good groove. But, again instrumentally and vocally it lacked depth. Ross’ weak production stamp was all over it. Is there a drummer on the recording; it sounds like a computerized type beat. The background vocals are barely audible. ....... shoestring budget for sure.

This from the greatest recording star of the era? Did she intentionally destroy her career to spite Berry?

And those lyrics ....... “in a world of fading treasures, love is the greatest pleasure....... “
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 03-27-2021 at 08:35 AM.

It's one of my favorites .love it

I also like it. The album was a vast improvement after the mediocre Fools and Silk Electric. However i have to disagree with you regarding the first choice of single . Let's go up remains the obvious choice for me with "you do it" being the ideal follow up. I still maintain some of her vocals remained somewhat understated on this album. We know only too well she was not very professional during the sessions and that lack of motivation kind of undercooks some of the tracks which is a great pity.
    Basically any track on the album would have been a better choice than Pieces of ice which is a solid album track but nothing more.
    You do it has a lovely Spring like feel to it and sounds ideal on a lovely day such as this. Thanks for posting.

I love YDI.

Maybe it's because you like the sound of Motown or R&B in general that you find this album under-produced.
    As far as I'm concerned, I find it quite fascinating of modernity, recorded with exceptional musicians.
    Larry Carlton's lead on "pieces of ice" is particularly good.
    Overall Diana's distant and barely detached performance adds mystery and sensuality to this very special record.
    My favorites are ALL the songs and even Girls sounds good to me now.

I live this song. It is one of my all time favorite Diana Ross songs. It should have been the lead single. IMO. “Let’s go up” is not a commercial sounding hit to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Maybe it's because you like the sound of Motown or R&B in general that you find this album under-produced.
    As far as I'm concerned, I find it quite fascinating of modernity, recorded with exceptional musicians.
    Larry Carlton's lead on "pieces of ice" is particularly good.
    Overall Diana's distant and barely detached performance adds mystery and sensuality to this very special record.
    My favorites are ALL the songs and even Girls sounds good to me now.
    It certainly was a different kind of sound for Diana. I very much agree about her vocal on “Pieces Of Ice”. She sings with an icy detachment that really suits the song.
    ”You Do It” was more a return to the traditional Diana Ross sound. This being another reason why it might have caught on. It has a kind of ”One Shining Moment” vibe to it, a song which sold buckets in the UK.
    I certainly wish she could have performed it at her Central Park concert.
    Diana must also like the song as she posted it on Twitter last year.

seems like basically a revisit:

To me, "you got it" is a typical very good Diana Ross song. A little bit of show biz style, a sultry quality to the voice. "You do it" is different or more subtle.

On Ross83, the only traditional performance is "love or loneliness" that has a Supremes delivery.

I believe it was country singer Deborah Allen as opposed to Debbie A who co-wrote the song. I adore it’s laidback simplicity.
    “Let’s Go Up” is always the popular choice amongst fans when considering the most suitable lead single from ross 83. I think it to crash, bang, wallop for a Diana Ross single, much the same way “Upfront” was. Dennis Edwards version of “LGU” is far more rounded and soulful then Diana’s.
    “You Do It has a classic, timeless quality to it that still sounds fresh and contemporary today.
    I adore "Let's Go Up". I love Diana's vocal, although my fav version is the one she did on Carson. I think LGU gets a lot of votes because it's a more "exciting" song than "You Do It". As you said, YDI is laidback. Unfortunately sometimes the more laidback cuts don't get the attention they deserve. Personally I've never really heard anything on the Ross83 album that screams single, but I'm inclined to agree with you here, that releasing anything off that album, "You Do It" probably had the best chance of becoming a hit. I do think the song needed a little extra boost of something...what, I don't know. But it is a wonderful song.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I adore "Let's Go Up". I love Diana's vocal, although my fav version is the one she did on Carson. I think LGU gets a lot of votes because it's a more "exciting" song than "You Do It". As you said, YDI is laidback. Unfortunately sometimes the more laidback cuts don't get the attention they deserve. Personally I've never really heard anything on the Ross83 album that screams single, but I'm inclined to agree with you here, that releasing anything off that album, "You Do It" probably had the best chance of becoming a hit. I do think the song needed a little extra boost of something...what, I don't know. But it is a wonderful song.
    I agree that it might have needed a single remix to add a little more snap. I think had “You Do It” caught on, it might have paved the way for “Let’s Go Up”. Personally I would have gone with “Love Will Make It Right” as the second single. Less flashy then “LGU” but another overlooked little gem.

“Love Will Make It Right” is certainly a great song, very mature, adult, like she said while promoting TMH. Did she ever sing like that before?

No one talks about "love or loneliness". This one has a thematic she seems to love a lot, we have this kind of message on TMH. "to many nights", " if y
    ou'r not gonna love me right"

I really like You Do It but i think it might be a bit too low key for a single. within the context of the album, it's a wonderful addition. but to listen to it just on the radio it might be too quiet and unassuming.

My favorite song from Ross 83 is "That's How You Start Over" and I think it could have been a great first single [[though probably would have needed a single mix). I vividly remember that in the Netherlands the album was premiered on The Soul Show [[every Thursday evening from 8 to 10 on Dutch radio) and they first played "That's How You Start Over" and then the 12 inch mix of "Pieces of Ice." I remember the DJ [[Ferry Maat) stating that "That's How You Start Over" should have been the single, as he was very dismissive of Pieces of Ice, stating that it clearly showed the influence of Gene Simons [[because of the guitar, although I think it was rather a cheap shot). Ross 83 still remains one of my favorite albums, although I think is seems rather unfinished. I do like the Ray Parker songs, though they don't really fit the album. If they had taken more time and found more suitable songs, an album fully produced by Gary Katz could have been a masterpiece -- perhaps not commercially but at least critically.

"Pieces of Ice" is cool, musically. The song title and lyrics need to be totally changed. Maybe a song title such as "Eyes of Desire". The instrumental release of the song is great.

"That's How You Start Over" is a great song and should have been released as the album's first single.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I really like You Do It but i think it might be a bit too low key for a single. within the context of the album, it's a wonderful addition. but to listen to it just on the radio it might be too quiet and unassuming.
    I thought that about “One Shining Moment, yet it reached the top ten here in the UK and is still played on radio.

I agree that it might have needed a single remix to add a little more snap.
    A little more snap. Believe it or not, that's exactly how I would describe what's missing. And I agree, releasing "You Do It" first might have paved the way for a better showing of "Let's Go Up" as a follow up.

No one talks about "love or loneliness". This one has a thematic she seems to love a lot, we have this kind of message on TMH. "to many nights", " if y
    ou'r not gonna love me right"
    I like "Love Or Loneliness" but feel that the chorus is a real let down. The verses are very Ray Parker, and I can dig it. But the chorus doesn't take the song up a notch. There's no excitement, no catchiness, IMO. So it's a nice album cut, but I wouldn't have put money on it as a single.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    "Pieces of Ice" is cool, musically. The song title and lyrics need to be totally changed. Maybe a song title such as "Eyes of Desire". The instrumental release of the song is great.

"That's How You Start Over" is a great song and should have been released as the album's first single.
    "Pieces Of Ice" had nonsensical lyrics and a New Wave sound, which did not fit Diana Ross. With a different track, different lyrics, keeping only the "when I look in your eyes, pieces of ice", Diana may have had a song she could sink her teeth into. But she was so concerned with pushing the envelop in the wrong direction. Yes, Diana Ross can sing just about anything. With such a pliable voice, it often works. But at this point Diana Ross had been a superstar with global impact for nearly 20 years [[counting the Supremes) and the hits she had racked up were all in a certain direction, and New Wave wasn't it. As is, could POI work as a lp track? Sure. Had she decided to experiment for an album track, fine. But hits were what drove album sales, and at this point surely Diana understood the importance of being an album artist. "Pieces Of Ice" was not going to set the world on fire, and it wasn't going to make people buy Ross83.

As for "That's How You Start Over", IMO by this point the song sounds dated. She needed this on Silk Electric. One might question what difference a year makes, but I think sometimes it does. There's a difference between what was hot in 1982 vs what was hot in 1983. "Start Over" might have gotten quite a bit of love the year before, but by this point it was a bit too late.

That's how you start over is a good track as well.
    Loved all side one

most of the songs on Ross 83 never make it out of second gear. Love or Loneliness is a great track too. very promising. but never shifts up to 4th or 5th gear. and it's ok to have some variety on an album. some more mellow and low key, some high energy. some lovely ballads.

for a track to really pop or snap, typically after the bridge there's a significant build. added instrumentation, a key change, bigger vocals, more ad libs, etc. it climaxes.

Ross 83 has 0 climaxes

The Ross 83 is album Is quite significant it’s a lot better than a lot of the crap that’s been put out today she does a very good job on this album there’s no denying it

"Pieces Of Ice" had nonsensical lyrics and a New Wave sound, which did not fit Diana Ross. With a different track, different lyrics, keeping only the "when I look in your eyes, pieces of ice", Diana may have had a song she could sink her teeth into. But she was so concerned with pushing the envelop in the wrong direction. Yes, Diana Ross can sing just about anything. With such a pliable voice, it often works. But at this point Diana Ross had been a superstar with global impact for nearly 20 years [[counting the Supremes) and the hits she had racked up were all in a certain direction, and New Wave wasn't it. As is, could POI work as a lp track? Sure. Had she decided to experiment for an album track, fine. But hits were what drove album sales, and at this point surely Diana understood the importance of being an album artist. "Pieces Of Ice" was not going to set the world on fire, and it wasn't going to make people buy Ross83.

As for "That's How You Start Over", IMO by this point the song sounds dated. She needed this on Silk Electric. One might question what difference a year makes, but I think sometimes it does. There's a difference between what was hot in 1982 vs what was hot in 1983. "Start Over" might have gotten quite a bit of love the year before, but by this point it was a bit too late.
    I tend to agree with your points regarding “Pieces Of Ice”.
    “That’s How You Start Over” is a positive, feel good song with lyrics that peeps would relate to. Having said that, i feel it lacks the energy and drive to become a hit single. It’s just a pleasant album track.
    The album is nowhere near long enough which might possibly have dented sales to some degree. It comes across as unfinished.
    I have always been to two minds regarding the artwork. I’ve never been one for pink.

for a track to really pop or snap, typically after the bridge there's a significant build. added instrumentation, a key change, bigger vocals, more ad libs, etc. it climaxes.
    Ross 83 has 0 climaxes
    Those are expectations for typical Motown Sound or commercial hits, like they did on "Baby it's me", but it's not the sound of Steely Dan. She wanted something different and it works very well for me.

I don't get your point

most of the songs on Ross 83 never make it out of second gear. Love or Loneliness is a great track too. very promising. but never shifts up to 4th or 5th gear. and it's ok to have some variety on an album. some more mellow and low key, some high energy. some lovely ballads.

Ross 83 has 0 climaxes
    ^^^This!!!

I tend to agree with your points regarding “Pieces Of Ice”.
    “That’s How You Start Over” is a positive, feel good song with lyrics that peeps would relate to. Having said that, i feel it lacks the energy and drive to become a hit single. It’s just a pleasant album track.
    The album is nowhere near long enough which might possibly have dented sales to some degree. It comes across as unfinished.
    I have always been to two minds regarding the artwork. I’ve never been one for pink.
    I think the energy was there, but other elements that would've made it a big hit were absent. And I agree, about the album seeming unfinished. I suspect that if she had taken more time with Silk Electric, which might have combined some of those cuts with some of the ones from Ross83, plus some even better cuts, she may have made a grade A album. Luckily for us all Swept Away was up next.

I don't get your point
    The song sounds dated. Not sure how much more clearer I could've been. "Start Over" kind of reminds me of some of the stuff Quincy Jones did for MJ and Donna Summer in 1982. Also reminds me of the Pointer Sisters' "Could I Be Dreaming" from 1980. Now while MJ's stuff was, um, red hot, "Start Over" sounds like it could've been a demo for something that evolved into the great stuff that ended up on Thriller album. Not a good look when a Ross cut sounds like the demo to something better cut a year or more ago.

It's a nice enough song, but I don't hear a hit in it. It's not really a dance hit nor a ballad. It's not really a memorable song.

I think the energy was there, but other elements that would've made it a big hit were absent. And I agree, about the album seeming unfinished. I suspect that if she had taken more time with Silk Electric, which might have combined some of those cuts with some of the ones from Ross83, plus some even better cuts, she may have made a grade A album. Luckily for us all Swept Away was up next.
    I like ROSS [[1983) a great deal more than SILK ELECTRIC. But it probably was rushed. She had to get it out in time for her Central Park concert and subsequent tour. If there had been no CP, it probably wouldn't have been released until the fall like her other RCA albums.

That said, I do like most of the songs on it, YOU DO IT being one of them. But that song doesn't scream "single" to me.

PIECES OF ICE is ok but sort of trendy but I wonder how it would come across live.

LET'S GO UP is nice but I think it might be a tad slow. She really did it well in concert.

I might have tried LOVE OR LONELINESS as a single, with a nice video to accompany it.

The song sounds dated. Not sure how much more clearer I could've been. "Start Over" kind of reminds me of some of the stuff Quincy Jones did for MJ and Donna Summer in 1982. Also reminds me of the Pointer Sisters' "Could I Be Dreaming" from 1980. Now while MJ's stuff was, um, red hot, "Start Over" sounds like it could've been a demo for something that evolved into the great stuff that ended up on Thriller album. Not a good look when a Ross cut sounds like the demo to something better cut a year or more ago.
    that's an opinion, but not mine.

That's How You Start Over is the best track on the album. Listening to it just now, it could have easily been a track on her Baby It's Me album or her Ross '78 album. It sound like an older track, but again it's the best track on this album.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I like ROSS [[1983) a great deal more than SILK ELECTRIC. But it probably was rushed. She had to get it out in time for her Central Park concert and subsequent tour. If there had been no CP, it probably wouldn't have been released until the fall like her other RCA albums.

That said, I do like most of the songs on it, YOU DO IT being one of them. But that song doesn't scream "single" to me.

PIECES OF ICE is ok but sort of trendy but I wonder how it would come across live.

LET'S GO UP is nice but I think it might be a tad slow. She really did it well in concert.

I might have tried LOVE OR LONELINESS as a single, with a nice video to accompany it.
    Makes sense Reese that she would want product out in time for the concert. I didn't consider that.

that's an opinion, but not mine.
    And now that you've explained to me what an opinion is and that I said it and you didn't, what more is left to life?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    That's How You Start Over is the best track on the album. Listening to it just now, it could have easily been a track on her Baby It's Me album or her Ross '78 album. It sound like an older track, but again it's the best track on this album.
    It's dated but I wouldn't go that far. Lol It doesn't sound to me like anything that would've been cut for inclusion for either of those albums.

It's dated but I wouldn't go that far. Lol It doesn't sound to me like anything that would've been cut for inclusion for either of those albums.
    The tracks on her diana [[1980) album sound "fresher and newer" than That's How You Start Over. Again, it's the best track on that album.

the euro synthesizer pop/dance sounds that Ross 83 contain were not too dated by early 83. they weren't necessarily shockingly new or groundbreaking but they weren't passe, like a disco beat would have sounded.

but they never really do anything new or exciting with them either. this album doesn't take the concept of electronica and really do anything new with it. there were New Wave and other influences that could have been explored too.

there used to be rumours that there was quite a few tracks recorded for Ross83 that didnt make the album..

the euro synthesizer pop/dance sounds that Ross 83 contain were not too dated by early 83. they weren't necessarily shockingly new or groundbreaking but they weren't passe, like a disco beat would have sounded.

but they never really do anything new or exciting with them either. this album doesn't take the concept of electronica and really do anything new with it. there were New Wave and other influences that could have been explored too.
    “Nobody Makes Me Crazy” would have been more at home on ross 83 then “Swept Away. Perhaps in place of the dreaded “Girls” which I know you happen to really like.

Ross 83 has 0 climaxes
    I think the sparse simplicity of the production is what lends the album its appeal. No histrionics or thumping beats.

“Nobody Makes Me Crazy” would have been more at home on ross 83 then “Swept Away. Perhaps in place of the dreaded “Girls” which I know you happen to really like.
    I first thought« Fight for it » was an out Take from Ross, since it’s similar to Girls

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    there used to be rumours that there was quite a few tracks recorded for Ross83 that didnt make the album..
    There were four additional tracks as i recall. Ten tracks were chosen, and then it was cut back to eight.

I first thought« Fight for it » was an out Take from Ross, since it’s similar to Girls
    That thought had crossed my mind. If only it had been. I find “Girls” hard going. It spoils the flow of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    There were four additional tracks as i recall. Ten tracks were chosen, and then it was cut back to eight.
    Was Diana herself responsible for that decision Blue, or was it the company?.

Ray Parker once mentioned that RCA didn't want to push this album. Maybe they cut all others songs, [[supposedly self produced by Ms Ross) to keep the integrity of this new sound. Maybe they were feared another Silk. If those songs have not surfaced yet, we can suspect they were not very good.

To me this Ross 83 direction was very interesting but maybe her fans were not interested in this kind of "yacht rock" sound for her. In the years to come, Sade will enjoy major success with soft jazz and rather detached performances.
    Last edited by Albator; 03-30-2021 at 07:44 AM.