[REMOVE ADS]

In celebration of today, March 26, Diana Ross' birthday, identify her best song.

My favorite inspirational song,
    "If We Hold On Together".
    Thank you, Diana Ross.
    Last edited by TNSUN; 03-26-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    My favorite inspirational song, "When We Hold on Together".Thank you, Diana Ross.
    Each one of her gems is my favorite.

Happy birthday Diana. I attended a Diana concert at the Westchester Premiere Theater in 1975 on her birthday. The audience sang HB to her. [[comedian Sandy Baron was the opening act.)
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 03-26-2021 at 12:54 PM.

A less likely gem

Remember Me - who could forget her? Really should have been massive.

Happy Birtrhday, Miss Ross.

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - long version

All the befores

I'll have to second SatansBlues choice. I can listen to it over and over......
    Darin

Once in the morning
    I thought it took a little time

Aint No Mountain.

One Shining Moment

[[from her days with The Supremes) My Funny Valentine; Reflections; Tears In Vain; Someday We'll Be Together; White Christmas
    [[from her solo career) After You; All The Befores; Did You Read The Morning Paper?; Touch Me In The Morning
    [[from her movies) Strange Fruit

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Remember Me - who could forget her? Really should have been massive.

Happy Birtrhday, Miss Ross.
    Remember Me is my all time favourite Ross song. Everything about it is musical perfection, and i was so honoured and proud when she performed it and dedicated it to me at a show in the 90's. That remains my fondest memory of my time with the one and only Ms Ross.
    Happy memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Remember Me is my all time favourite Ross song. Everything about it is musical perfection, and i was so honoured and proud when she performed it and dedicated it to me at a show in the 90's. That remains my fondest memory of my time with the one and only Ms Ross.
    Happy memories!
    Ain’t No Mountain High Enough!

Happy memories!

I think REMEMBER ME is about as good as it gets. It just keeps moving up higher and higher on my list of Ross/Supremes favorites.

It's the right, abeit bittersweet , message of hope and moving forward, yes we're moving on but what we had was really grand, so no regrets [[ and not, " I'm gonna scratch your car, you dirty louse" lol). There're no sorrys to it , because she wants only to be remembered as a good thing , because she gave it her best , no betrayals by her, etc.. Basically the subtle message is , "its your loss , pal"
    The soaring arrangement makes the point perfectly. Diana's delivery , spot on.

And what other song could possibly pull off the line : "remember me as a big balloon!" so seamlessly ....

Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-27-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I think REMEMBER ME is about as good as it gets. It just keeps moving up higher and higher on my list of Ross/Supremes favorites.

It's the right, abeit bittersweet , message of hope and moving forward, yes we're moving on but what we had was really grand, so no regrets [[ and not, " I'm gonna scratch your car, you dirty louse" lol). There're no sorrys to it , because she wants only to be remembered as a good thing , because she gave it her best , no betrayals by her, etc.. Basically the subtle message is , "its your loss , pal"
    The soaring arrangement makes the point perfectly. Diana's delivery , spot on.

And what other song could possibly pull off the line : "remember me as a big balloon!" so seamlessly ....

I find I'm liking Remember Me more, too, for all the reasons you listed. Every time I hear the song, I picture a huge hot-air balloon. A marvelous way to remember a love. Up, up and away.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I find I'm liking Remember Me more, too, for all the reasons you listed. Every time I hear the song, I picture a huge hot-air balloon. A marvelous way to remember a love. Up, up and away.
    Nice ! I always pictured it as a big red latex balloon , but I much more prefer your visual ! I'm switching !....up up and away!

For my Mom's 80th birthday [[years ago) she wanted to, of all things, go up in a hot air balloon. So we did it!! I say of all things , because she was terrified of heights ! lol!

Added:
    I meant to say , Bluebrock, what an honor to have this particular song especially dedicated to you by Miss Ross. I could see that as being a special moment indeed.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-28-2021 at 03:30 AM.

I couldn't pick a "best" song. Diana Ross has recorded a ton of fantastic cuts, from both her time as a Supreme and as a solo. Since I consider group efforts, group efforts, I'll focus on her solo years and for that I will say that "Aint No Mountain High Enough" has to be the quintessential Diana Ross cut. It is everything that makes her the unique artist that she is rolled up into one song. There are other songs she's cut that I feel are just as good as "Mountain" [[and a whole album, Surrender, that's chocked full of some of her best stuff) but it's the one song I'd suggest to anyone who might ask "Why do you love Diana Ross so much?"

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I couldn't pick a "best" song. Diana Ross has recorded a ton of fantastic cuts, from both her time as a Supreme and as a solo. Since I consider group efforts, group efforts, I'll focus on her solo years and for that I will say that "Aint No Mountain High Enough" has to be the quintessential Diana Ross cut. It is everything that makes her the unique artist that she is rolled up into one song. There are other songs she's cut that I feel are just as good as "Mountain" [[and a whole album, Surrender, that's chocked full of some of her best stuff) but it's the one song I'd suggest to anyone who might ask "Why do you love Diana Ross so much?"
    My sentiments exactly. I remember playing it with some old college friends who could take or leave Diana, at best. One of them, God rest his soul, exclaimed, "See, this song is the perfect illustration of the absolute grandness of Diana Ross!"

Nice ! I always pictured it as a big red latex balloon , but I much more prefer your visual ! I'm switching !....up up and away!

For my Mom's 80th birthday [[years ago) she wanted to, of all things, go up in a hot air balloon. So we did it!! I say of all things , because she was terrified of heights ! lol!

Added:
    I meant to say , Bluebrock, what an honor to have this particular song especially dedicated to you by Miss Ross. I could see that as being a special moment indeed.
    It was probably the highlight of my life with the notable exception of the birth of my children. I was literally blown away. I had no idea whatsoever it was going to happen. Ms Ross knew it was my very favourite song of hers, but the very fact that the crew managed to keep it secret made it all the more rewarding.
    I still have very grainy footage of it up in my loft.
    It was definitely one of those "wow" moments that perhaps occur only once in a lifetime. My training taught me to never show my emotions in public. That particular moment tested that resolve to the max!

It was probably the highlight of my life with the notable exception of the birth of my children. I was literally blown away. I had no idea whatsoever it was going to happen. Ms Ross knew it was my very favourite song of hers, but the very fact that the crew managed to keep it secret made it all the more rewarding.
    I still have very grainy footage of it up in my loft.
    It was definitely one of those "wow" moments that perhaps occur only once in a lifetime. My training taught me to never show my emotions in public. That particular moment tested that resolve to the max!

nice !!! were words shared afterwards ,after the show ?...

The majestic album version of Ain't No Mountain High Enough.

nice !!! were words shared afterwards ,after the show ?...
    They most certainly were! It was a truly wonderful night. A once in a lifetime experience.

Happy memories!
    Way to go, Bluebrock! How proud you must have been! Having Diana dedicate "Remember Me" to you in front of a concert crowd of adoring fans has to rate right up there with those once-in-a-lifetime moments that most of us can only dream about.

I've always wanted to ask you -- In what capacity did you work for Diana? I think you must have described it to the Forum before I joined in 2014.

[[BTW, I, too, LOVE Diana's "Remember Me". It's an Ashford & Simpson masterpiece which deserved to score much higher than it did.)

Trying to pick just one of Diana's many treasures is like trying to decide which one of your kids is your favorite. Despite that, I'm gonna go with "Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)". A Michael Masser masterpiece, and one of Motown's prettiest, Diana took it to #1 and absolutely shines on it.

Very hard to choose one 🤕 Among the hits, maybe « missing you »

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Way to go, Bluebrock! How proud you must have been! Having Diana dedicate "Remember Me" to you in front of a concert crowd of adoring fans has to rate right up there with those once-in-a-lifetime moments that most of us can only dream about.

I've always wanted to ask you -- In what capacity did you work for Diana? I think you must have described it to the Forum before I joined in 2014.

[[BTW, I, too, LOVE Diana's "Remember Me". It's an Ashford & Simpson masterpiece which deserved to score much higher than it did.)
    Hi. I was originally employed as a bodyguard, and it developed further afterwards.
    Glad you appreciate Remember Me as much as i do. It was the very first Ms Ross 7"single i purchased almost 50 years ago.
    Where did the time go?

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Trying to pick just one of Diana's many treasures is like trying to decide which one of your kids is your favorite. Despite that, I'm gonna go with "Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)". A Michael Masser masterpiece, and one of Motown's prettiest, Diana took it to #1 and absolutely shines on it.
    I always loved the classical element in Mahogany. My music teacher hated popular music, but even he was entranced by the sheer beauty of the song.
    It's a timeless classic.

Remember Me has probably always been my favorite Diana solo song too. I really don't know much about Diana's solo career [[or Mary's) as much as I do about the Supremes career. But this song and Aint No Mountain High Enough were always favorites of mine but if I had to pick between the two I'd say Remember Me. I still remember hearing this after a break up and just bawling like a baby lol.

Actually for a long time I thought Remember Me was a Supremes song and that I swore I could hear Mary singing in the background.