[REMOVE ADS]

"I Thought it Took a Little Time": Diana Ross

This song was on its way to #1. "Love Hangover" arrived and just surged onto the charts. Has any other song simultaneously made it to #1 on The Pop, Dance/Disco and R&B/Soul Charts?

Didn't Upside Down also repeat that success

If this song was on it’s way to #1 it was taking the scenic route.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    ha ha too funny

Ha! Worthy of my fave, Groucho!

PS I adore ITITALT, but I didn’t and still don’t see it hitting #1 except AC perhaps, and a dismal showing on R&B chart. Still, I think about how if the album was held back for about six weeks after the single was released, it would have made the crucial strides it needed to fly. By the time the 5th Dimension got their grubby hands on Love Hangover, Ross’ version would have MUCH less impact. On paper, ITITALT was the ideal follow-up to Mahogany, followed by Love Hangover and then, perhaps you’re Good my child or AInt nothing but a maybe. I never saw one love in lifetime as a viable single release and fell it reached its full potential mid 20’s pop, but did little to enhance her catalog.

It's a beautiful song that would probably have gone top 10 had it not been pushed aside in favour of Love Hangover, but probably not another no.1. It still sounds wonderful today. I heard Ken Bruce play it on his radio 2 show the other morning.

I love it here! If y'all could've heard the HOWL that escaped my car when I read that as I'm in the In-N-Out drive-thru!!!

It might have done better if the B-side "After You" hadn't been the stronger side. I've just looked out the window, and quite by coincidence it's #raining again#.

I still adore this beautiful ballad, and i still regard it as one of her finest efforts, and to have her sing that iconic opening line to me remains one of the highlights of my career. If only we had cellphones/mobile phones back then!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I still adore this beautiful ballad, and i still regard it as one of her finest efforts, and to have her sing that iconic opening line to me remains one of the highlights of my career. If only we had cellphones/mobile phones back then!
    Indeed, a moment to treasure. Thanks for sharing it.

Speaking of which, does Diana Ross have any opinion one way or another about audience members these days recording concerts on their phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Speaking of which, does Diana Ross have any opinion one way or another about audience members these days recording concerts on their phones?
    She does not approve of this practice. She sometimes specifically requests audience members not to record her performances.

She does not approve of this practice. She sometimes specifically requests audience members not to record her performances.
    I'm admittedly guilty of recording a performance of a song or at least part of a song. But I don't get people who go to a show and then spend the entire concert recording it. Put the phone down and get into the music and the show. I can imagine how such concert goers may irritate a performer.