[REMOVE ADS]

" I Never Loved A Man Like You Before" Diana Ross

Another great song from the "Take Me Higher" album. I place this album in the top 10 of my favorite Diana Ross albums. The album's songs and production values align with Diana Ross' stellar vocals.
    Last edited by TNSUN; 03-23-2021 at 07:58 PM.

This is definitely in my top 10 and maybe even in my top five….a knockout album!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    This is definitely in my top 10 and maybe even in my top five….a knockout album!
    It's a mighty fine album with the notable exception of I will survive of course!
    I would place it at no.6 in my top 10 Ross albums.

I like the new Diana Ross version of
    "I Will Survive"
    This one is for the fans.
    Many people like it too!

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I like the new Diana Ross version of
    "I Will Survive"
    This one is for the fans.
    Many people like it too!
    Not sure i am aware of it. Not sure i want to be!

I worked at a Pizza Hut restaurant when I was a kid. The advertising slogan from the TV ads [[filmed at our restaurant) was 'You're Welcome'.

At 1am closing time, I used to turn up the volume on the Gloria Gaynor version so any lingering customers could hear the words 'Go on now. Go. Walk Out the Door. Just turn around now. You're not welcome anymore'.

But no Diana version of I Will Survive is ever welcome to me.

i like Diana's version but you're correct, the original stands alone. just a perfect recording in every way

because IWS is so well known to practically every human on the planet as the Gloria Gaynor song, i wish Diana would have focused on her next remake - Carry On. The original of this song is far less well known and Diana's version is excellent. she really SANGS this song!!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i like Diana's version but you're correct, the original stands alone. just a perfect recording in every way

because IWS is so well known to practically every human on the planet as the Gloria Gaynor song, i wish Diana would have focused on her next remake - Carry On. The original of this song is far less well known and Diana's version is excellent. she really SANGS this song!!
    Diana is catering to the masses with “IWS”. The ones who buy tickets for a good ole singalong night out. It makes good business sense, if less appealing to her hardcore fans.

true - her concerts today are really sing along events. although beautifully staged, well received and tons of fun

I was thinking though more in the 90s and 00s. however brought to her the idea of doing IWS was approaching dangerous territory. like someone trying to redo the Wizard of Oz. or like someone trying to redo Baby Love. the original is just SOOOOOOOOO iconic that any remake or reproduction will fall short. you will never be able to surpass that original in the public's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Diana is catering to the masses with “IWS”. The ones who buy tickets for a good ole singalong night out. It makes good business sense, if less appealing to her hardcore fans.
    You are of course correct.
    Much as i dislike her version of it i often found myself dancing away like a fool backstage when i witnessed the audience reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Much as i dislike her version of it i often found myself dancing away like a fool backstage when i witnessed the audience reaction.
    ok - i'm marinating on that mental image for a bit!

given her currently show structure and approach, i think IWS is fine. it's a wonderful anthem of strength and it's just plain fun.

i just wish she had latched on to her killed version of Carry On. that production is just sensational and i think it could have been a big dance hit at the time.

It’s certainly an audience pleaser. I actually like Diana’s recording of the song, but would be equally happy if she never as in ever performed it again. A part of me dies every time I hear the refrain “i will, you will, we will”.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ok - i'm marinating on that mental image for a bit!

given her currently show structure and approach, i think IWS is fine. it's a wonderful anthem of strength and it's just plain fun.

i just wish she had latched on to her killed version of Carry On. that production is just sensational and i think it could have been a big dance hit at the time.
    Video footage of me jiving backstage exists i am ashamed to say. I was filmed on more than one occasion much to my dismay. It became something of a ritual for a while!

Video footage of me jiving backstage exists i am ashamed to say. I was filmed on more than one occasion much to my dismay. It became something of a ritual for a while!
    We would like to see a video of it please !

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    We would like to see a video of it please !
    They do not make for pleasant viewing!

"Take Me Higher" is one of my favorite albums and this is definitely one of my favorite tracks! I love her phrasing and the melody of the song.