[REMOVE ADS]

"I Thought That We Were Still In Love" Diana Ross

I heard this song quite often on the radio in NYC when the album "TMH" came out. Then, it fell off the radar. Great song and well-produced with awesome musicians. I wish I could hear Diana Ross in concert sing this powerful song!

I saw her do it twice during the 1995 portion of the TAKE ME HIGHER tour. A stunning moment, to be sure. And sort of a risky move to do an as yet unreleased song in concert, but she pulled it off.

When I saw her again in 1996, the show was basically the same but the song had been dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I saw her do it twice during the 1995 portion of the TAKE ME HIGHER tour. A stunning moment, to be sure. And sort of a risky move to do an as yet unreleased song in concert, but she pulled it off.

When I saw her again in 1996, the show was basically the same but the song had been dropped.
    she occasionally did this song and 96 and 97, if enough people in the audience beg for it. It was always a fantastic moment and always the same affect afterwords: she would finish the song and there would be silence for about five or 10 seconds and then a partial or full deafening standing ovation. She told the audience one night she doesn’t like to sing this song because it takes her to a place she doesn’t like to go to, and she would sit there after voice of a heart for about 30 seconds or a minute to get into the frame of mind to be able to sing the song. When a singer has a song that generally gets the best response of the entire show every single night and still takes it out of the act as soon as possible there must be a good reason. After her split with Arne, I decided never to ask for it again but it’s one of the best things I’ve ever heard her sing live.

I remember watching this concert clip years ago and enjoying it immediately. Today, I realize this song is such a personal song of deep emotion. The pathos in her singing is passionate.Her vocals seem to be in line with the theme within the song: "One More Chance".

Out of all the songs Diana has ever recorded, this one is probably my favorite [[along with Summertime). The emotion is painful, raw and beautiful all at the same time.

I am so glad that the live video above exists - it is absolutely stunning!

stunning simply isn't a strong enough word for this vocal performance and song. so very jealous of all of you that saw it live!!! it must have been simply an emotionally draining moment for her.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    stunning simply isn't a strong enough word for this vocal performance and song. so very jealous of all of you that saw it live!!! it must have been simply an emotionally draining moment for her.
    I saw her perform it live many times.
    I do not want to speak out of school, but it seemed to affect her emotionally much more than perhaps any other song of that period. It was very personal to her amid difficult times.