[REMOVE ADS]

As if you were the songwriter, would you in hindsight rename any Supremes' song?

"Stoned Love" to "One Love".

no i'd just call it Stone Love. without the "d" i think there wouldn't have been any of the hoopla about drugs. and frankly the lyric is Stone not Stoned.

Bah Bah Bah - i'd have used the first line You Don't Hold Me In Your Arms

Doobie Doo - I Just Started Livin'

Bad Weather - I Think I'm Gonna Run Into Bad Weather

Buttered Popcorn - Corny Cunnilingus LOLOL

Bah Bah Bah - Loving You

Doobedood’ndoobe - I Got A Good Feeling

Buttered Popcorn - Sticky, Gooey, Salty. lol

Nothing But Heartaches > I Can't Break Away

Okay, y'all gon stop coming [[not cumming) for "Buttered Popcorn".

"Bah Bah Bah" is an obvious one, but I don't think there's an obvious title to be found in the song. Had they done more to flesh out the chorus instead of keeping it "Bah, bah, bah", then that would've fixed itself.

I think I read somewhere once that "Bah Bah Bah" was written with a chorus that had proper lyrics and a title but when Brenda and Patrice Holloway went to record it, the sound in the studio was so distorted it just sounded like they were singing "bah bah bah". They decided to leave that as a replacement chorus to the song.

i do kinda like Bah. i think the bah-bah-bah part works as a background lyric but agree there needs to be some sort of chorus or "main line" When i looked up the lyrics online, there is no obvious title line as no lines repeat or are even similar. So i just picked the first line.

it's an unusual song and quite unorthodox. too much so for an A side, but i wonder if it could have held up as a B side. perhaps if a more structured chorus had been present. then it could have been titled something like "SONG TITLE [[Bah-Bah-Bah)"

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i do kinda like Bah. i think the bah-bah-bah part works as a background lyric but agree there needs to be some sort of chorus or "main line" When i looked up the lyrics online, there is no obvious title line as no lines repeat or are even similar. So i just picked the first line.

it's an unusual song and quite unorthodox. too much so for an A side, but i wonder if it could have held up as a B side. perhaps if a more structured chorus had been present. then it could have been titled something like "SONG TITLE [[Bah-Bah-Bah)"
    I think the original title and chorus to "Bah Bah Bah" really was something like "You Don't Hold Me In Your Arms Anymore" like Sup Fan suggests above.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I think I read somewhere once that "Bah Bah Bah" was written with a chorus that had proper lyrics and a title but when Brenda and Patrice Holloway went to record it, the sound in the studio was so distorted it just sounded like they were singing "bah bah bah". They decided to leave that as a replacement chorus to the song.
    Peter Benjamin wrote something like this in his book THE STORY OF MOTOWN. But he made it sound like that's the way the Supremes recording sounded. So when I bought the REFLECTIONS album and played it, I was expecting to hear this horribly mixed record with the background BAH-BAH-BAH overpowering the lead, which isn't the case.

He also wrote that the original title was YOU DON'T HOLD ME IN YOUR ARMS THE WAY YOU DID, which is the first line of the song. But the true original title is anyone's guess. None of the lines seem to be repeated and there's really no chorus.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    "Stoned Love" to "One Love".
    “I’m Living In Shame” to “Mom Was Cooking Bread”

lololol

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Peter Benjamin wrote something like this in his book THE STORY OF MOTOWN. But he made it sound like that's the way the Supremes recording sounded. So when I bought the REFLECTIONS album and played it, I was expecting to hear this horribly mixed record with the background BAH-BAH-BAH overpowering the lead, which isn't the case.

He also wrote that the original title was YOU DON'T HOLD ME IN YOUR ARMS THE WAY YOU DID, which is the first line of the song. But the true original title is anyone's guess. None of the lines seem to be repeated and there's really no chorus.
    I tidied up my books during the lockdowns, and I do indeed have the Peter Benjaminson book. The quote is "On the master record, the background singing and music, which sounded like Bah-bah-bah,was much louder than the lead tune...".
    I think you probably could sing "YDHMIYATWYD" over the first lot of bah bah bahs in each chorus and still fit the tune.

Unfortunately, facts known about LA songs are sketchier than for Detroit, so DFTMC does not give a working title.
    Last edited by 144man; 03-22-2021 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Final sentence added

The thing that makes “Bah Bah Bah” special for me is simply Dian’s great vocal. She knocks it out of the park by turning up the drama in her voice. It’s really hard to pick a better title for the song by just listening to the lyrics. I came up with “Loving You” as she does sing the line at least once during the song.

My Forever Came Today

"Someday We'll Be Together" to "We'll Never Be Together Again, so Just Get Used to It".

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    My Forever Came Today
    I like this! I think it's catchier and more memorable. I think Forever should have followed Reflections, instead of In and Out of Love. It definitely was more progressive and different, not a step back. [[I know the recording timeline, so this is just my fantasy).

I also like:
    Doobydood'ndoobe
    You Don't Hold Me In Your Arms [[Bah Bah Bah)
    Last edited by lucky2012; 03-22-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The thing that makes “Bah Bah Bah” special for me is simply Dian’s great vocal. She knocks it out of the park by turning up the drama in her voice. It’s really hard to pick a better title for the song by just listening to the lyrics. I came up with “Loving You” as she does sing the line at least once during the song.
    I agree in part. I think the musical track's dark tone is special. It doesn't do too much. It does just enough to fit the mood of the lyrics. If this were going to be a single, I'd remix the track. But as an album cut, the track's perfect. Mary and Cindy's backing vocals augment the tone of the track by taking it up a notch. This is one of my favorite Mary/Cindy backing vocals song. And then Diana nails this perfect balancing act between bewilderment and resignation. The actress in her is really coming out. So for me this is one of the "perfect" DRATS recordings, where everything fits together to make a perfect product. There are a number of these instances during the Flo years. Not too many during the DRATS period, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    "Someday We'll Be Together" to "We'll Never Be Together Again, so Just Get Used to It".
    A literal laugh out loud moment, Al. Thanx!

Truth be told, that's better than the original title, "Bitch, Bye".

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I agree in part. I think the musical track's dark tone is special. It doesn't do too much. It does just enough to fit the mood of the lyrics. If this were going to be a single, I'd remix the track. But as an album cut, the track's perfect. Mary and Cindy's backing vocals augment the tone of the track by taking it up a notch. This is one of my favorite Mary/Cindy backing vocals song. And then Diana nails this perfect balancing act between bewilderment and resignation. The actress in her is really coming out. So for me this is one of the "perfect" DRATS recordings, where everything fits together to make a perfect product. There are a number of these instances during the Flo years. Not too many during the DRATS period, IMO.
    Completely agree. All this Bah Bah chat is making me hungry for the expanded Reflections release.
    As we head into April, the 60th anniversary celebrations appear a little slow in materialising. We certainly could all do with a little boost just now.