[REMOVE ADS]

Rip Ronnie Shannon..

Hello all on soulfuldetroit,I just found out that the great Ronnie Shannon passed away on
    3/9/09...

Sorry to hear of Ronnie Shannon's passing.Did he not write some songs for the Dynamics?I'm thinking of "What a shame"

Helo Mikey, yes he did the Ice cream song for the Dynamics as well as [[WHAT A SHAME),he also did Aretha Franklin first two gold records [[BABY I LOVE YOU) [[I NEVER LOVE A MAN THE WAY I LOVE YOU) And he also pordueced a thing for guy called [[SAYSO) thats very popular all over Europe and the UK by a singer, name LaJAY ALEXANDER..That can be found on you tube...

lajaysayso:I was about to ask you if you are Lajay Alexander.

Yes Mikey this LjA,do you live in the US???....

Sorry to hear this & if my information is correct he also wrote The Whispers excellent "I Can't See Myself Leaving You".

Ronnie Shannon R.I.P.

My condolences to friends & family.

Hi Lajaysayso:Sorry for my late reply.I do not live in the USA but I've been there umpteen times.
    I'm sure many folks on SDF would like to know more about you as a singer. Was the single on Black Gold label your only record released? How about a brief history of your recording career?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx4gBx4T_4w

Very nice!! Yes, please fill us in on your career. Great back up singers, too!

"Say So" has that Miami sound.Nice !!!

Ronnie wrote Bettye's Do Your Duty.

Hello blueskies,it's Lajay Alexander on this end,the back up singers are the great Dynamics that consist of George White,Ronnie Shannon ,Zeke Hairris, Fred sonny Baker,and Thomus skip Winbren...

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    If my information is correct he also wrote The Whispers excellent "I Can't See Myself Leaving You".
    Yes! He did. Aretha also recorded this song on Aretha Now. I'm not sure who recorded the song first. It's interesting that the Whispers' version is available on Youtube while Aretha's version is MIA.

I'm sorry for late reply Also...

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Hi Lajaysayso:Sorry for my late reply.I do not live in the USA but I've been there umpteen times.
    I'm sure many folks on SDF would like to know more about you as a singer. Was the single on Black Gold label your only record released? How about a brief history of your recording career?
    Hey Mikey how are you ,well to start, i'v been deep into finishing up on, a recording producion I've been working on for a time,but to answer your and others qustions,yes I had other releases on the black gold lable, back in 1973.. consising of[[SaYSO),[[What CHA GONNA DO WHEN YOU TIME RUNS OUT) [[YOU'LL NEVER FIND A MAN LIKE ME) and a thing I recorded called [[YOU GOT ALL THE ACES),of which. one Aretha Franklin record and it was on her album [[YOU) in 1975...I recorded the song in 1973 at the pac-three studio there in Detroit and Mr.Richard Backer was and still is the owner..

Lajay,
    Welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your stories with us.

Hi Lajay: Great hearing from you. Did you perform live in the Detroit area? Did you tour back in the day? Do you know if the Black Gold label was set up exclusively for Detroit artists?

Happy to answer qustions..

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Hi Lajay: Great hearing from you. Did you perform live in the Detroit area? Did you tour back in the day? Do you know if the Black Gold label was set up exclusively for Detroit artists?
    Hello Mikey: Firstly, yes when first going to Detroit at the requst of my friend Ronnie Shannon he and I had a band called Ron and LaJay and the fifth proposition, back in those time we perfome all over Detroit...And after SAYSO was released, I put together a 8 unit band and tour in the south and a number of other places back in those times,as well as performing with the Dynamics...Lastly The Black Gold label was was put together by Ronnie Shannon,the only artist that was on his label was myself and the Dynamics...

Great stuff Lajay.Extra special hearing it firsthand.Do you recall which markets "Say so" received radio airplay back in the day?
    Did you appear on any Detroit tv music shows back in the day?

This is fudge from the second set of the Dynamics. I was also the lead singer of a group there was little brother group to the Dynamics called the Stereophonics. In reply to the person speaking about the Jay Alexander. Mr. Alexander was also our road manager. And he was also one of the best friends the Dynamics had. If you ever speak to him again let him know that no one's left Alive but myself.