[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross/masters question?

Anita Baker is fighting for her masters. When reading about this I had no idea about “artist contracts” and this “30 year” law. This is what she said in a tweet.

“.. I have out-lived *ALL, of my Artists Contracts. They no longer “Own”, My Name & Likeness. And, by Law...30 yr old, Mstrs are 2B Returned, 2 Me.”

Does this only apply to a song writer? What kind of possible artist contract could Diana Ross have? Does she own any masters? One thing I can say about the younger generation of entertainers, is that some of them learned from past mistakes of the older generation, and now own their masters.

As far as I know, she doesn't own any of her Motown masters, least the ones from 1961-81. Now it might be different with RCA and when she re-signed with Motown in 1988. I know at one point, she became co-owner of Motown after it was sold to MCA giving her stock in the company but as far as her own work, that remains a mystery. I do know she still received royalties from her Supremes work alongside Mary Wilson [[not sure about Florence Ballard's estate since her daughters basically lived/are living on welfare). Mary had recently fought for royalties to be paid to the Supremes and other classic groups through internet revenue [[and radio too). But Diana solo? No idea.

That part of the topic has never been discussed. Diana had to learned about real estate and how to earn money as a producer and writer and about record royalties but I don't know if she learned anything about masters despite her 60-year career.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    As far as I know, she doesn't own any of her Motown masters, least the ones from 1961-81. Now it might be different with RCA and when she re-signed with Motown in 1988. I know at one point, she became co-owner of Motown after it was sold to MCA giving her stock in the company but as far as her own work, that remains a mystery. I do know she still received royalties from her Supremes work alongside Mary Wilson [[not sure about Florence Ballard's estate since her daughters basically lived/are living on welfare). Mary had recently fought for royalties to be paid to the Supremes and other classic groups through internet revenue [[and radio too). But Diana solo? No idea.

That part of the topic has never been discussed. Diana had to learned about real estate and how to earn money as a producer and writer and about record royalties but I don't know if she learned anything about masters despite her 60-year career.
    Flo signed away her rights to future royalties at the meeting with Mike Roshkind at an Inn/Hotel [[forget the name) shortly after she was dismissed from the group [[on signing the contract Flo stood up and told Roshkind - "You can stick this contract up your ass!" and walked out)... she foolishly signed away all rights for a lump payment which she then tried to battle in court in the following years that it was a nominal amount.. however for the legal case to precede the judge ordered Flo to have to repay back her original lump sum settlement to renegotiate for a new royalty payment plan..she didnt have the funds to do this and her case fizzled out

Cindy also agreed to lump payment and received no further royalties

The amount of stock Diana was given on resigning was a nominal amount it looked good on paper but she wasnt made a major shareholder
    Last edited by nomis; 03-18-2021 at 06:10 PM.

By all accounts she has great legal representation. Surely they know about ownership of masters.

If she doesn't, she should before they all burn up in a vault fire as a result of lack of concern for basic safety.

i highly doubt she owns the Motown masters - Motown contracts since inception where notoriously one side in favour of BG also I have been told personally by a Motown artist who signed to the label circa 1974 he had no legal counsel then - he was taken in BG's office and Diana was there and co signed the contract as the outside legal witness - which is highly unethical as she was signed to the label herself and hardly an independent regulator to the agreement

artists most notably Prince have had ferocious legal battles costing millions to regain control of their masters

Ive never read or heard of any deal of Diana owning the RCA catalog if she was smart she would have it but it took a very long time for artists to switch on to the intellectual property rights of the situation

Anyone have more info on “artist contracts”? In Anita’s case, she says that after 30 years, she owns her name and likeness, and masters are to be returned to her. Is this only if you are a song writer? Can anyone make that kind of contract? She says the label is fighting that.

there is literally of hundreds of legal avenues Anita's case could be played out...she can argue that her original agreement was with Elektra records which was later merged into the Warner Music conglomerate - therefore her legal counsel has a valid case to present to the judging arbiter than any existing agreement is null -in -void as her specific agreement was with Elektra not the label which now controls that catalog..she also put in her agreement a clause to produce her material which at the time was nearly unheard of in the industry for a woman to be allowed this - a year later Madonna would have to battle Sire/Warner music to co produce 1986's "True Blue" album..having established her producer clause from the onset of her contract Baker has a very strong legal entitlement to regain her masters..but theres hundreds of legal avenues both parties can argue the case to their favour
    Last edited by nomis; 03-18-2021 at 06:05 PM.

Michael Jackson was incensed on discovery the delivery of his Epic/CBS masters were not reverting back to his ownership from Sony at the orginal contractual agreement as he owed Sony millions for taking out a loan on the ATV publishing catalog which he failed to repay to Sony..and as with Prince did with Warners he got into a nasty public spat with Mottola over what he termed "slavery" getting the ever wonderful vocal Al Sharpton on board to voice his outrage to the "robbery"..as with Anita Baker - MJ had a clear argument that his deal was with Epic/CBS and Sony was really a "third party" conjecture to his original legal partnership..

I highly doubt Diana owns her Motown Masters if the titan Juggernaughts of the likes Of Prince and MJ had such a bloody public battle to regain ownership of theirs and Diana was only the performer - not writer or producer [[apart from scarce efforts into that arena) so she would have even less leverage in an ownership deal than Prince Baker or Jackson
    Last edited by nomis; 03-18-2021 at 07:02 PM.

What about the RCA masters?

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    What about the RCA masters?
    I believe she does own these. Supposedly it is she who blocked releasing previously unreleased tunes for the expandeds. I can't see how she would have that power unless she owned them.

Before signing to Elektra Baker worked as a receptionist at a prestigious Detroit Law Firm with her subsequent major success as a recording artist would probably allow her to gain free legal counsel from the ex co workers..I worked as receptionist at a law firm myself and several partners at the firm used to me to dj at their birthdays weddings etc and i was lucky to be able secure free legal advice from them if required..im sure Anita with her fame has excellent legal resources at her disposal