[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    has the Mahogany soundtrack ever been released on cd ?

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    has the Mahogany soundtrack ever been released on cd ?
    Yes, back in 2000.

The soundtrack as is, is beautifully done, no question. [[My fav is "My Hero Is My Gun".) But I have a mostly instrumental soundtrack in one hand, and then a soundtrack full of Diana songs in the other. Which one weighs more? I would much rather have had a bunch of great Diana songs featured in the movie.

Reese had a great theory about why the soundtrack was mostly instrumentals and I've forgotten what the reasoning might have been. It did make sense, even if I still would rather have had a full Diana album.

I had to search because I forgot what I wrote.

Here goes:

My cousin bought me the MAHOGANY soundtrack for Christmas that year because he knew I loved Diana. While I was happy, I was slightly disappointed that there was only one Diana vocal on it.

Of course now in hindsight, I get that Motown was probably trying to reinforce the idea of Diana as an actress. And just like Columbia released two THE WAY WE WERE albums: one an official soundtrack and the other, a new Streisand studio album with the theme song, Motown ended up doing the same double-dip with Diana and MAHOGANY.
    Last edited by reese; 03-31-2021 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I had to search because I forgot what I wrote.

Here goes:

My cousin bought me the MAHOGANY soundtrack for Christmas that year because he knew I loved Diana. While I was happy, I was slightly disappointed that there was only Diana vocal on it.

Of course now in hindsight, I get that Motown was probably trying to reinforce the idea of Diana as an actress. And just like Columbia released two THE WAY WE WERE albums: one an official soundtrack and the other, a new Streisand studio album with the theme song, Motown ended up doing the same double-dip with Diana and MAHOGANY.
    Yeah, that was it! Lol It makes sense.

Ran - what songs would you change or add to make it a full DR album? would have have her record lyrics to some of the instrumentals? would you include other songs by Masser but not directly associated with the film?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Ran - what songs would you change or add to make it a full DR album? would have have her record lyrics to some of the instrumentals? would you include other songs by Masser but not directly associated with the film?
    I'm not opposed to some of the songs remaining instrumentals. But I would've definitely added lyrics to some of the instrumentals. Here's what I might have done:

Theme From Mahogany
    Feeling Again [[lyrics)
    You Don't Ever Have To Be Alone [[lyrics)
    Can You Hear It In My Music [[instrumental)
    Christian's Theme [[instrumental)
    After You [[vocal)
    My Hero Is My Gun [[lyrics)
    Cat Fight [[instrumental)
    Let's Go Back To Day One [[lyrics)
    Tracy [[instrumental)
    Sweets and Other Things [[instrumental)
    Mahogany Suite [[instrumental)

Some of the instrumental cuts could be replaced by the following, in addition to some of the following being added to the album if the timeline matches up:

I Thought It Took A Little Time
    Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right
    Together
    To Love Again
    We're Always Saying Goodbye

they could have done a "diana ross sings songs from Mahogany and more" and then done it as a collective album for Masser. i'm still surprised he didn't get a full lp with her until To Love Again.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    they could have done a "diana ross sings songs from Mahogany and more" and then done it as a collective album for Masser. i'm still surprised he didn't get a full lp with her until To Love Again.
    I gather a full Masser album TO LOVE AGAIN was Suzanne dePasse's idea since she gets an executive producer credit on it. Good thing. The thought that someone might have instead tried to fill it out with the old HDH and Hal Davis unreleased material isn't appealing.