[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson funeral plans set: Supreme will be laid to rest in private L.A. ceremony

Brian McCollum
    Detroit Free Press
    Mary Wilson will be laid to rest Tuesday in Los Angeles in a private ceremony, her family told the Detroit Free Press.

The late Supremes singer and Detroit native will be buried next to her son Rafael [[Rafi) Ferrer, who was killed in an auto accident as a teenager in 1994.

Wilson died Feb. 8 at her home in Las Vegas, ruled to be the result of hypertensive atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. She was 76.

Wilson was among the recently departed artists honored Sunday night during the 63rd Grammy Awards. Her passing was marked with an in-memoriam tribute featuring the Supremes' "Stop! In the Name of Love."

The family plans to hold a public celebration for Wilson later this year.

"Mary was always very conscientious about the COVID guidelines, so keeping with her wishes, the family will have a celebration to honor Mary’s life and legacy later this year with her friends, family and fans when we are all able to come together in person," they said in a statement.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...es/6953274002/

Thanks milven for the news about Mary's Funeral. And Rest In Peace, Power, Music & Supremacy Mary Wilson.

Thank you for this update! I still can't believe she's not with us.

Ugh. things just got real.

Her heavenly body and soul were reunited in heaven on February 8 with her beloved son and her earthly remains will soon be reunited on earth with her beloved son. Rejoice with your son for all eternity Supreme Lady Mary Wilson.

I still can't believe she's gone...

My thoughts will be with Mary Wilson and her family today, let's all light a candle and play some Supremes and remember one of our true Motown Ambassadors X RIP Ms Wilson X

As several on the forum are stating, it is difficult to grasp that she's not here anymore. Mary was a fixture for both Motown fans [[even those who didn't care for DRATS) and for her Supremes family. Who can continue to carry the torch of 'old' Motown with as much enthusiasm now that she is gone?

I was thinking how much I'm gonna miss her telling her same ole "Is that a wig you're wearing" story lol. She's like that relative who always tells the same stories over and over and once they pass you realize how much you took it for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I was thinking how much I'm gonna miss her telling her same ole "Is that a wig you're wearing" story lol. She's like that relative who always tells the same stories over and over and once they pass you realize how much you took it for granted.
    So true. Mary was so often being interviewed, sharing those stories we’d all heard many times and explaining that she and “Diane” are sisters. But somehow, I always tuned in. It’s difficult to believe she is no longer with us...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    So true. Mary was so often being interviewed, sharing those stories we’d all heard many times and explaining that she and “Diane” are sisters. But somehow, I always tuned in. It’s difficult to believe she is no longer with us...
    It's funny because a few years ago, I said, "why is she always being interviewed?" But her death hit close to home that she might've been the best ambassador for Motown we ever had. I guess Martha Reeves and Smokey Robinson are all we have left as far as "old Motown" goes. I would say Gladys Knight too but I don't think she ever considered herself "Motown" despite her lengthy history there but maybe that's a little understandable since she's not from Detroit and the Supremes, Miracles, MR&Vandellas were more homegrown.