[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I was referring to the song All I Do Is Think About You. Sorry if that part was unclear. On DFTMC under the song there's an entry saying that SW recorded a version, dates unknown, but produced by Clarence Paul.
    Have you heard Stevie's earlier version? And do you know if he recorded a studio version of The Tears of a Clown?
    Stevie Wonder; recording details unknown ; produced by Clarence Paul

29-Sep-80; LP [[S): Tamla T373M1 Hotter Than July
    12-Oct-05; MP3 [[S): UMC Digital Release The Complete Stevie Wonder

I think that maybe the reference to Stevie here is to the Hotter Than July version and maybe the gremlins crept in but other paperwork shows no indication that Stevie ever recorded that track until the HTJ project.

Similarly although Tears was assigned to Stevie again there's no evidence of a vocal by him. I always say when it comes to Motown 'never say never' but in the case of these two tracks I think it's pretty likely they would have surfaced by now.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Stevie Wonder; recording details unknown ; produced by Clarence Paul

29-Sep-80; LP [[S): Tamla T373M1 Hotter Than July
    12-Oct-05; MP3 [[S): UMC Digital Release The Complete Stevie Wonder

I think that maybe the reference to Stevie here is to the Hotter Than July version and maybe the gremlins crept in but other paperwork shows no indication that Stevie ever recorded that track until the HTJ project.

Similarly although Tears was assigned to Stevie again there's no evidence of a vocal by him. I always say when it comes to Motown 'never say never' but in the case of these two tracks I think it's pretty likely they would have surfaced by now.
    Was C. Paul still producing tracks for SW in 1980?
    And have you been able to listen to all/some/a few of SW's unreleased tracks from the 60's? How many tracks are there?

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Bizarre, strange, unfathomable, the list could go on describing the puzzling reason why this one [[and "My Heart" for that matter) couldn't even get onto the Irresistible album. Brenda Holloway also recorded a version. Was Motown thinking of earmarking her version for release? Motown felt Brenda did well with the slower/mid-tempo tunes. Was Tammi's so good that Motown freaked and just couldn't figure out where such a song would fit on Top 40's landscape? I keep going back to the fact that we judge these songs from the perspective of our times. Maybe things we feel sound like automatic hits were deemed too out of the ballpark for the times back then. Who knows. I do think though that the song is amazingly beautiful and actually, to borrow from what you said, a league apart from almost everything at Motown at that time.
    I wonder why Motown never released a new LP on Tammi after she passed? It would have sold decently with the publicity from her passing I think. The only thing we got in the vinyl era was the Marvin & Tammi Compilation LP'S Greatest Hits & Superstar Series Vol 2....

Quote Originally Posted by TammiTerrellFan View Post
    I wonder why Motown never released a new LP on Tammi after she passed? It would have sold decently with the publicity from her passing I think. The only thing we got in the vinyl era was the Marvin & Tammi Compilation LP'S Greatest Hits & Superstar Series Vol 2....
    Hmmmm. That is a pretty interesting question. Maybe there just weren't enough songs in the can that hadn't already been heard. Maybe with so many pivotal changes happening at Motown in 1970, it was felt the best way to remember Tammi was via the very thing that catapulted her into mainstream consciousness; the Marvin/Tammi duets. From a marketing/name recognition standpoint, a Marvin & Tammi album would immediately gain the public's attention vs. a Tammi solo LP. Tammi, as a solo artist was on the cusp of bigger things but at that point, her's may still have not been a household name.

Just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Hmmmm. That is a pretty interesting question. Maybe there just weren't enough songs in the can that hadn't already been heard. Maybe with so many pivotal changes happening at Motown in 1970, it was felt the best way to remember Tammi was via the very thing that catapulted her into mainstream consciousness; the Marvin/Tammi duets. From a marketing/name recognition standpoint, a Marvin & Tammi album would immediately gain the public's attention vs. a Tammi solo LP. Tammi, as a solo artist was on the cusp of bigger things but at that point, her's may still have not been a household name.

Just guessing.
    My GUESS is that you are correct in Terrell's name not really been that well known, and also [[mostly) that there were not enough recorded tracks for another solo lp.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    My GUESS is that you are correct in Terrell's name not really been that well known, and also [[mostly) that there were not enough recorded tracks for another solo lp.
    Thank you PNH. It's a great question TammiTerrellFan raised, one I hadn't considered before. Just when I think I'm finished with social media, I see something that knocks me out. There is a young girl on Instagram whose posts are about Tammi Terrell. That was amazing to me that someone more than a few generations removed from that era would be so passionate about Tammi. I dare say that thanks to these platforms, Tammi and so many others have even more fans now than back then.