[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recording artists whose voices sound almost EXACTLY like other recording artists

There have been a few examples touched on here before... Polly Brown and Jean Terrell being one of the best examples. How many can you think of? Here's a more obscure vocal doppleganger, German pop singer Joy Fleming. Not so much when she sings in the lower part of her range... but during the chorus when she sings in the high part of her range, she is a dead ringer for Taylor Dane:

And here's one that sound VERY similar to Tom Jones [[Although this guy is better looking than Tom)

I always get Walter Orange and Lionel Ritchie of Commodores mixed up because they do sound a lot alike. In fact, Orange does the lead vocals for a lot of the hits.

uptight Guest
    I used to confuse Walter Orange for Lionel Richie, too.

I used to think Taylor Dayne and Kathy Triccoli sounded alike. Triccoli sang background on Dayne's albums.

Which member of the Emotions is it that sings "Don't Ask My Neighbors"? Cause she sounds a hell of alot like Susaye Greene.

The guy from America that sounded just like Neil Young on "A Horse With No Name" [[be honest, how many of you thought it was Neil when you first heard that song?).

There's a guy named Geoffrey Metaliko who also sounds like Tom Jones. He did a version of the Northern soul fave "Got to Find a Way" [[better known on the Northern soul scene via the Cajun Hart version).

Best,

Mark

On the Vogue's song 'Magic Town' the lead singer sounds incredibly like Tommy Good

Dorothy Moore [["Misty Blue") and Mary Wilson sound similar. I would also add Candi Staton and Jackie Moore to the list of sound a likes......to me!

Quote Originally Posted by mark speck View Post
    The guy from America that sounded just like Neil Young on "A Horse With No Name" [[be honest, how many of you thought it was Neil when you first heard that song?).

Mark
    I didn't know anything about Neil Young back then.

What about the woman from about 8-10 years ago who sounded EXACTLY like Phyllis Hyman and it was entirely intentional? I can't remember her name or what song she did, but I think she was featured on a man's CD. Was it maybe the Nathan Heathman CD? My memory is foggy and it would be too complicated to look it up when one of you guys will know exactly who she was and what song it was.

pshark Guest
    William DeVaugn sounds a lot like Curtis Mayfield, I'm sure it was intentional.

Ray Davis[[Parliament/Funkadelic) & Melvin Franklin [[Temptations)

There's some early Isley Brothers stuff on the Shout! RCA Sessions disc that sounds like Johnny Mathis to me.

And I don't know about "dead ringer," but I definitely hear Stevie Wonder in Jamiroquai's Jay Kay.

And a [[non-soul) artist I discovered at the Tower Records in Kyoto: French chanteuse Zaz, who sounds eerily similar to Edith Piaf. It's been a long time since I've heard something that made me IMMEDIATELY want to run and buy it, but Zaz has that certain "je ne sais quoi"!
    Last edited by vcq; 04-25-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Tery Stafford/Elvis Presley.....

Quote Originally Posted by vcq View Post
    There's some early Isley Brothers stuff on the Shout! RCA Sessions disc that sounds like Johnny Mathis to me.

And I don't know about "dead ringer," but I definitely hear Stevie Wonder in Jamiroquai's Jay Kay.

And a [[non-soul) artist I discovered at the Tower Records in Kyoto: French chanteuse Zaz, who sounds eerily similar to Edith Piaf. It's been a long time since I've heard something that made me IMMEDIATELY want to run and buy it, but Zaz has that certain "je ne sais quoi"!
    Oui, ZAZ possède une Piaf sound. J'aime sa voix! Je voudrais m'entendre ce qu'elle pourrait faire avec Motown.

I always thought Jean Terrell and Syreeta had a similar sound.....at times.

Anyone else think that Phyllis Hyman & Selena sound alot alike?

The first names that come to me are The Ovations' Louis Willams and Sam Cooke.

You know, had I not known different I would have said without ANY doubt that Sam Cooke was singing that record. And Sam Cooke has more than on person who sounds like him:

Not only does Louis Williams sound similar to Sam Cooke, the lead singer of the Cornelius Bros sounds remarkably like Louis Williams. Check out the Ovations "I'm Living Good' and any of the Cornelius hits.

I always thought that Nancy Wilson, Dee Dee Sharp and Marlena Shaw all had a similiar voice. Also, there is a Christian singer who sounds exactly like James Taylor, exactly.

Brenda and Patrice Holloway,

Edward Hamilton, Melvin Davis, Steve Mancha

You can hear the family voice in Dee Dee and Dionne Warwick, Sissie Houston and Whitney Houston

Nat King Cole and Ike Cole

Johnny Moore [[Drifters) and the lead singer of The Jarmels [[forget his name)

Earl Grant trained himself to sound just like Nat Cole.
    Last edited by robb_k; 04-25-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Vesta and Chaka

Jackie and Diana Ross!

There were a few more Sam Cooke soundalikes namely Willie Hightower,Benny Conn,Bobby Harris.

David Simmons....Teddy Pendergrass
    Jon Gibson.............Stevie Wonder

David Simmons....Teddy Pendergrass
    Jon Gibson.............Stevie Wonder

James Phelps also sounds like Sam Cooke.......

Hi platters81:Thanks for mentioning James Phelps.

J.J. Barnes and Marvin Gaye?

Exactly...that's what caused J.J. not to be picked up by Motown when they bought out Ric-Tic...they thought he sounded too much like Marvin!!

Best,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Which member of the Emotions is it that sings "Don't Ask My Neighbors"? Cause she sounds a hell of alot like Susaye Greene.
    Jill you think Sheila Hutchinson of the Emotions sound like Susaye Greene? Being a advid Emotions fan maybe a just a little. Her sister Jeanette sounds more like Susaye than Sheila. Susaye's tones are rounder [[like Jeanettes) as Sheila's tones are very sharp and nasal like. All the sisters of the Emotions have a very HIGH soprano range just don't know if they can sing as high as Susaye

vcq...I've lost count of the times I've got Jamiroquai right in a music quiz without knowing the song being played, all because I thought it sounds like Stevie Wonder but it isn't.

Eddie Holland & Jackie Wilson

Bob Brady [[of Bob Brady & The Con Chords) - Smokey Robinson

Listen to this Smokey Robinson & The Miracles tune done by them here on Youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFmqqr_9ro4

This was a huge record on the east coast back in the summer of 1967, the version I was familiar with back then. When I finally heard the Miracles' original [[an album cut), it sounded a little "off" to me, a slower pace.

I don't think anyone else mentioned Syl Johnson - Al Green.

Oldies

Syl Johnson - Al Green.....YES, just listen to Syl's "Take Me To The River"!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCBLx16MDrM
    Last edited by texassoul; 04-27-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Ral Donner - Elvis Presley

[[Oops, looks like this is a new post instead of an edit. I'll click submit and see what happens!)

I don't think that Polly Brown & Jean Terrell sound similar at all!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I don't think that Polly Brown & Jean Terrell sound similar at all!

They do if you listen to Polly Brown singing "Up In A Puff of Smoke". We thought that it was Jean when we heard it in early 1975.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-27-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Al Green and Sidney Joe Qualls

Best,

Mark

Felice Taylor & Diana Ross
    Corey Glover - Al Green

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They do if you listen to Polly Brown singing "Up In A Puff of Smoke". We thought that it was Jean when we heard it in early 1975.
    We'll have to agree to differ on that one

Esquires - Impressions

Leslie Gore [[later) and Wayne Newton

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    We'll have to agree to differ on that one
    She doesn't sound like Jean on that particular song... it just depends on the song, most of her hits with pickettywitch are where she sounds the most like Jean. Now... I got to say, Polly's version of the theme from Mahogany is SO much better than Diana's! i'm thrilled to hear it! But back to the similarity... here is where Polly sounds like Jean:

And here as well... this is what I imagine Jean sounding like if she had done disco:

Last edited by jillfoster; 04-29-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Cool

Glenn Lewis - Stevie Wonder

Glenn Lewis - Don't You Forget It[[2001)

Petula Clark and Dusty Springfield.

Sonny Fulton and Jackie Wilson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA516PjBPK0

Little Carl Carlton - Little Stevie Wonder

Oldies, thanks for that! Being that we're from the same area Jerry Blavat played that all the time and I initially thought that was Smokey. Great song!

You're welcome Nosey! I did some checking on chart position -

The song never made the R&B chart at all.

Only made it to #104 on the Pop Chart nationally.

However, look where it was in certain cities on this ARSA site -

http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa//cha...php?hsid=15988

Notice all the Philly charts. Really big in Canton Ohio. Lots of Lancaster PA charts also. Too bad there aren't any Baltimore charts for this song since that's where they were from. Paging Destruction, fill us in.

Now I can't stop hitting the replay button!

Oldies

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 4769
Size:  21.1 KB
    Jackie Wilson and Eddie Holland.

Brian Holland and Eddie Holland

We should do a thread on people with unique voices-who have a voice so distinct, one could NEVER mistake anyone for them:

Leon Peels, Ray Pollard, Emanuel Lasky, Lee Andrews, Sollie McElroy, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf