[REMOVE ADS]

Labelle. Nightbirds landing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WBJZjBpAIKY my brother saw them do this. He said they were amazing and the crowd went wild

Amazing!! I've read about LaBelle's spectacular stage shows in the mid '70s but never got a chance to see them. Thanks Luke for sharing this clip.

Glad you enjoyed ME. And why are they not in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame??

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Who knows why LaBelle aren't in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame? As we know, there's a Long list of acts that Deserve to be in The Hall. Another question, why doesn't LaBelle have a DVD/Blu-ray release of their definitive performances in the '70s?

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Who knows why LaBelle aren't in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame? As we know, there's a Long list of acts that Deserve to be in The Hall. Another question, why doesn't LaBelle have a DVD/Blu-ray release of their definitive performances in the '70s?
    Your commentary answers your question. There are no DVDs of the live performances that were heralded as electrifying spectacles by most who witnessed those shows BECAUSE their artistry as musicians, vocalists and performers has been undervalued -- or not at all valued -- by those who are the gatekeepers of the institutions that should recognize and celebrate them. Those fantastic performances have not been preserved and shared as they have for David Bowie and Led Zeppelin.

Labelle was not a commercially successful group, only one of its six 70s albums was certified Gold. They only had one "hit" single. For Black artists and for female artists that is generally taken as a signal to the majority culture that the work was without merit or significance. Particularly if those Black female artists have persevered and not fallen prey to personal demons and/or professional disappointments. Nina Simone, Donna Summer and Whitney Houston were posthumously inducted into the RARHOF. Chaka Khan and Tina Turner [[without Ike) have yet to be inducted. Labelle and its members have never been nominated. Personally, I take that as a signal that artists of certain genders and hues are undervalued by the gatekeepers.

As it stands today, there isn't going to be any live Labelle anything. Back in those days it was so difficult getting live recordings that did the live act justice so most just skipped it. What was passable audio quality on bootlegs then is terrible by today's standards so if a record company wanted to release a live show as a legit recording, there was a ton of editing and splicing and voice overs and noise suppression etc that had to be done. Often multiple shows had to be harvested to get the right takes. Labelle was raw live and imperfect, which was part of their charm. Also, after 1974 the audiences got so hyped up that it drowned out what was happening onstage at times, so getting a great take was nearly impossible. And after all that, recording live shows really cost a lot of money and setting up all those cameras and sound equipment was a huge production. Back in the 90's a friend of mine asked manager Vicki Wickham if there was ever going to be a live CD and she said, and I do quote, "Don't hold your breath, Luv."

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Politics. But I think if Tina gets in, they likely have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Politics. But I think if Tina gets in, they likely have a chance.
    Tina should be a no-brainer. It is a travesty she's not already in as a solo artist. "Private Dancer" was nearly 40 years ago.

And Tina has been selling out arenas and stadiums for forty years, too. She really should be in Hall of Fame.